PDA

View Full Version : Different ducks

brianu
12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here, lurked for awhile and just went out with my dads friend to shoot some ducks a few days ago! I did not shoot anything, just retrieved but am going to hopefully get a few in a couple days. I really want to make sure I don't take the wrong type of duck, or take too many of a type ( harlequin, pintail etc). Are those ducks around the delta area? We hunted on a beach in delta( dyke) and it's hard to figure out what types of ducks are being harvested( dads friend knows but I want to find out for certain). Basically will those ducks be in our area or do we even need to worry about those limited bag limit ducks?
Thanks if you need anymore info let me know
-Brian

Crazy_Farmer
12-19-2011, 08:19 PM
pintails big time.

harlies 99% no, goldeneyes possible, canvasbacks very very unlikely but it'd be no different then winning a lottery ticket having one come in, lucky lucky

If you're not sure, dont shoot too many of one species and try and ID them by some means, carry a book, or print off a page from the internet.

bandit
12-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I have hunted in Delta on and off for a few years now. Never harvested any ducks other than Mallard Teal Wigeon Pintail. I am sure there are others out there, just not very common. Only one you need to be aware of for those species is the 4 bag limit for pintails. Also be careful with cormorants - I have seen way too many people shoot at them thinking they are some sort of goose.

Best piece of advice - if you cant positively ID a duck on the wing, only shoot at one at a time. When you retrieve and can ID it. Carry a waterproof color bird identification guide in your pack.

brianu
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys that helps alot, It seems like pintails are the only ones that I need to worry about shooting too many of. I Only know what the mallards(yumm) look like, I will print off pintails to have in the field and be sure I can identify both males and females without the cards. Thankyou for your help, much appreciated.
-brian

fowlweather
12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
pins are easy to id, they are pointed/slim on all sides with almost razor like flying style.

warnniklz
12-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Also try to learn what each duck sounds like. I find that helps as well.