PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 wolves

fireguy
12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
So I go out hunting on saturday looking to find a whitetail buck or doe if I decide to with my crossbow and am finding that the deer are all quite spooky. There is a lot of sign but not much seen, only 8 WT does and 3 MD does in a half day hunt. Anyhow I am noticing a lot of K9 tracks almost everywhere I goand there is no way they are from coyotes, they are way to big.

The only actual wolf I have seen in region 8 was a few years ago behind Peachland by Silver lake in the summer but the signs of them I have been noticing a lot more of recently. This weekend was almost rediculous though as on every road and all through the bush there was tracks, mostly on small packs by the looks of it but spread out over a very large area and all fresh in the snow.

All I can say is it is about time there was a season here and hopefully some trappers have there way with them because us hunters probably won't make enough of a dent in the population to make enough of a difference.

coach
12-19-2011, 12:30 AM
I saw one in 8-11 last year and my hunting partner has seen them in 3-12, not far from the boundary with 8-11. I was at at dinner at Predator Ridge tonight and some of the homeowners mentioned seeing a wolf near the course lately. I've heard these reports in the past, but haven't seen the animal for myself. There are lots of coyotes in the area, but the people I spoke with would know the difference.

Steeleco
12-19-2011, 08:48 AM
I saw 5 in the Kane valley in Oct. Lots of tracks not one of them from a yote as it used to be.

Str8shooterbc
12-19-2011, 08:54 AM
We saw one near Nakusp a couple years ago just trotting down the road. That is just over the hump from the Christian Valley and Cherryville. I had a camera, not a rifle.

lovemywinchester
12-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I saw some big tracks a few weeks ago near Pinaus lake. Lower down near the ranches. BIG TRACKS.

SHAKER
12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Scary to say but 2 of us seen a wolf track up the Ashnola. My friend found the track and rushed home to tell me... later I arrived with him to confirm.

Wrayzer
12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Any photos, videos or evidence of wolves in Region 8 please fwd to your local Conservation Office. There has been proposals for a NBG for Wolves in the Okanagan, with no closed season, to the Ministry but the past few years the proposals have been shot down. With enough evidence from people like us spending all the time we do in the bush it could be enough to get over the hump needed to implement it.

Gunner
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Any photos, videos or evidence of wolves in Region 8 please fwd to your local Conservation Office. There has been proposals for a NBG for Wolves in the Okanagan, with no closed season, to the Ministry but the past few years the proposals have been shot down. With enough evidence from people like us spending all the time we do in the bush it could be enough to get over the hump needed to implement it.As Wrayzer says,any evidence of wolves in Region 8 shhould go to Brian Harris,Regional Biologist,MOE,Penticton.I've heard them from my porch 3 times already this winter.and saw 2 from the bottom of my driveway last March.There is a pack in the Hidden Lake/Trinity hills area at the moment but they move around a lot.Some of these animals are probably the same ones that the Caribou Recovery team reported as having starved in 4-38 after all the moose were shot out in an attempt to knock back the prey base:rolleyes: Gunner

PointMan
12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I'll keep that in mind, seen them twice in the Echo Lake area and tracks around Heckman, they're out there.

Tuffcity
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Like this one from November in 8-23? My glove is an XL.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/winter%20hunt%202011/cb8865ce.jpg

igojuone
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Saw 4 of them in 8-10 last year on Three Forks FSR.

one-shot-wonder
12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Cut 2 wolf tracks on Saturday up the 201 while Christmas tree hunting.....one was very large. Interesting this was in the exact same area that I took a photo of a black wolf in Feb '08.

Nooker77
12-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Used to Hunt Mable lake..Taylor cr alot and the past 3 seasons once the snow hits...wolf tracks every where! Farmers seeing them in 8 23 as well! Aberdeen area/nicklen lk lots of tracks the past few seasons as well!! Range guys also have shot a few 'problem' wolves hastling cattle!

Ourea
12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
A colleague of mine has a recreational property minutes behind Summerland. He had 2 wolves run across his field last week.
Yikes.

jeff
12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
saw one wolf in reg 8 04 .. and saw more track this year in the snow than ever ..just about every spot i walk to had track

Str8shooterbc
12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Back in the late 90's I worked for a short while in the Omineca Mts 8 or 9 hours west of McKenzie and there were a lot of wolves there, but it was pretty sparely populated. I saw some when I lived in Price George with BC Hydro as I used to spend a lot of time in helicopters and tracked snow machine. I had no idea that the wolves had spread so far south and were so many. That explains the severe drop in the amount of deer we saw this year as opposed to the few years before. I know wolves are difficult to hunt because they are always on the move and when you see their tracks they're gone.

My Dad was born and raised on the Slocan River and he says during the 30's wolf sightings were common but then if they were spotted someone was shooting at them.

12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Region 8 has them for sure. HUGE track, 4 or 5 running in one group between Allison and Muzuela Lakes.

Thats only what we came across in a small area. Need a cull big time throughout many area's in the province.

Man has disrupted nature way way back, now ias the time for management.

Bang Flop on most Wolves

CT

OutWest
12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Seen a few tracks in 8-23 the last couple years as well as up Heckman this year too.

whitetail2009
12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Seen a single wolf track in the snow on copperkettle rd , just off of trapping creek rd.beginning of november

Fishhound
12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I think it is time for all of us to make a couple of trips into the bush and see if we can't bag some of these animals, I know that everywhere that I hunted this year there was wolf sign there.

Gunner
12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Due to the infinite wisdom of the Minister, Region 8 still has no wolf season. Gunner

Stone Sheep Steve
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Haven't seen any wolf sign this yr...but I have seen a lot of cougar sign lately including a cat 15 yds from my stand Sat morning. Didn't buy a tag this yr:icon_frow.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Just heard a very scary wolf encounter about some friends that happenned within walking distance of house behind Peachland.

Father and son were hunting during the late bow season. Father was sitting 100 yrds behind his son. Son had a crossbow and father had nothing.
Two wolves appeared about 100 yds off to the side and were milling about and then the larger black one moved off. Father got up and walked towards his son and got his attention and waved him over. The father decided he wanted to see what would happen if they got closer so they walked towards the light colored wolf and got to within 40yds. It watched then and decided they were close enough and let out a very loud hoooowwwwwwl! Immediately, the large black wolf came running back to aid his buddy and the two wolves began snapping their jaws and snarling! After some hair-standing moments the father and son yelled and were able to convince the 2 wolves to move off.

Crazy stuff!

SSS

ursus
12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
When animals lose their fear of man, that is what happens! I saw wolf sign around Sunset Lake this fall and no moose. The season is coming, just wait and see!

ncurrie
12-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I had 2 of them on my front yard 2 weeks ago. There is (according to my next door neighbour) a pack of about 40 of them just above my house, they keep getting his cows. Last year my neighbour shot a young one cause it kept attacking is dogs.

wrenchhead
12-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Ya there's wolves around lumby, but a pack of 40? Thats ridiculous, wouldn't be an ungulate left in the valley. I saw a single black one on the top of silverstar November 20 this year, took off like I shot at him when came over the hill on my sled.

Fisher-Dude
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Seen a single wolf track in the snow on copperkettle rd , just off of trapping creek rd.beginning of november

I saw a black wolf just past that junction about 3 years ago.

finngun
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Gunner;1044657]Due to the infinite wisdom of the Minister, Region 8 still has no wolf season. Gunner

is there any other reason ,than that infinite wisdom why no bagging wolf region 8? and how long region 8 has been closed for wolf? thanx f-g

Stone Sheep Steve
12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
is there any other reason ,than that infinite wisdom why no bagging wolf region 8? and how long region 8 has been closed for wolf? thanx f-g

I don't think Reg 8 has ever had a wolf season...but I could be wrong. I wasn't alive 50 yrs ago.

SSS

Gunner
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Gunner;1044657]Due to the infinite wisdom of the Minister, Region 8 still has no wolf season. Gunner

The request for a wolf season has gone from the Region 8 biologist to Victoria for the last 3 years.It was approved by MOE in Victoria,but died on the Minister's desk because of lack of hunter support,and the Minister's request that at least 100 wolves be documented in Region 8 before he would allow a season.Sounds like Montana and Idaho,doesn't it,we all know what happened there.When I first started sending pictures of wolf tracks and kills to MOE Penticton 7 or 8 years ago I was basically told"there are no wolves in Region 8".Of course before that they told me there were no grizzlies either! Gunner

finngun
12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
if Region 8 biologist das'nt belive hunters,can they ask trappers info about wolf population , or rancers or farmers?
or even check wolfes tracs in winter time.....or is that too much to ask.....office is much more fun that wilderness..water coolers and pretty secretarys...

hunterdon
12-23-2011, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=finngun;1047633]
The request for a wolf season has gone from the Region 8 biologist to Victoria for the last 3 years.It was approved by MOE in Victoria,but died on the Minister's desk because of lack of hunter support,and the Minister's request that at least 100 wolves be documented in Region 8 before he would allow a season.Sounds like Montana and Idaho,doesn't it,we all know what happened there.When I first started sending pictures of wolf tracks and kills to MOE Penticton 7 or 8 years ago I was basically told"there are no wolves in Region 8".Of course before that they told me there were no grizzlies either! Gunner

Bang on Gunner! In the past several years,(last 6 or so). I have run into both grizzly and wolves on MANY occasions. I do most of my hunting in the hills around Lumby. Not just seen tracks, but heard and seen the animals themselves, sometimes a little too close for comfort. Let's not forget about cougars also. Just last year, during the late bow season, I saw 4 in one day alone. But, at least there is a season on cougars. I think it's about time for a season on grizz and wolves also.

jeff
12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Gunner;1047674]

Bang on Gunner! In the past several years,(last 6 or so). I have run into both grizzly and wolves on MANY occasions. I do most of my hunting in the hills around Lumby. Not just seen tracks, but heard and seen the animals themselves, sometimes a little too close for comfort. Let's not forget about cougars also. Just last year, during the late bow season, I saw 4 in one day alone. But, at least there is a season on cougars. I think it's about time for a season on grizz and wolves also.

absolutly right .over the past few years ive seen more predators in reg 8 ..grizz as well .i no alota people confuse the cinnamin bears as grizz .i have defenetly seen a few grizz over the years in 8

Gunner
12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
At least we have LEH on Region 8 grizzlies now.Most years I see half a dozen in the spring(except last year when I had the draw!)A wolf season is long overdue in Region 8.The powers that be always seem to be 5 years behind nature's realities.The FoxPro is all ready to go! Gunner

4pointer91
12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Even though there is an abundance of food (primarily rabbit) at higher elevations I have seen nothing but yote tracks this season accompanying deer trails in migratory and wintering areas. I believe wolves in region 8 have pushed these predators (and others) out of areas they normally occupied into lower elevations where they have disrupted deer movement. How many of you have gone to your "honey hole" this season only to find no deer? How many WT fawns have been killed behind Peachland this season? We should all take it upon ourselves to reduce the predator population or next season may be worse. An open season on wolves in Region 8 would also be a step in the right direction.

358mag
12-23-2011, 05:26 PM
The #1 reason there is no Wolf season in Region 8 is that the First Nations dont want one plain + simple , unit they do were all just pisssing into the wind .

Stone Sheep Steve
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
The #1 reason there is no Wolf season in Region 8 is that the First Nations dont want one plain + simple , unit they do were all just pisssing into the wind .

Just ask them if they want moose or wolves.

SSS

palmer
12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
I have seen sign in almost every area of 8-15, including a group of 8 with one large black male up Italy creek FSR.....they are here and in large numbers.

Gunner
12-23-2011, 05:51 PM
This is an excuse that the Regional Biologist used at one time.Apparently the OK Indian band wants moose not wolves and they support a season. Gunner

358mag
12-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Just ask them if they want moose or wolves.

SSS
Maybe we need to give more $$$ so they can figure it out themselves

SHAKER
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I was hope'n for a something great to report for this post so I use this....... It's called 10-80 and start getting rid of the vermin.

Phreddy
12-23-2011, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Gunner;1047674]

Bang on Gunner! In the past several years,(last 6 or so). I have run into both grizzly and wolves on MANY occasions. I do most of my hunting in the hills around Lumby. Not just seen tracks, but heard and seen the animals themselves, sometimes a little too close for comfort. Let's not forget about cougars also. Just last year, during the late bow season, I saw 4 in one day alone. But, at least there is a season on cougars. I think it's about time for a season on grizz and wolves also.Funny. I had the same experience as Gunner afew years back with the local CO in Princeton. I mentioned that I'd seen tracks and heard from a local who runs sled dogs during the winter up around Jura who saw them several times. I was told that there might be the odd one that finds its way up from Washington State, but there was no way there were any now. About a month later, there was an article in the local paper by, you guessed it, the local CO asking people to let him know when they see or hear wolves as they have moved into the area. Boy, have I had fun with that incident. I've also run into Griz coming down out of the hills behind the Similakeen mine.
I think, after seeing the devastation of the ungulate population on the northern part of the island when they reintroduced wolves, that Ralph Kleins philosophy of "Shoot, Shovel, Shuttup" is very appropriate.

hunterdon
12-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I think, after seeing the devastation of the ungulate population on the northern part of the island when they reintroduced wolves, that Ralph Kleins philosophy of "Shoot, Shovel, Shuttup" is very appropriate.
Ya, it's unfortunate that's probably what is already happening and will only happen to a larger degree in the future. I would much rather see reg changes allowing for legal hunting instead of hunters taking matters into their own hands.
As for you correctly pointing out the devastation from wolves, below is an article from Wikipedia confirming the number of kills per wolf per year. Note that the great majority of kills are elk, therefore I would suspect the kill ratio for deer would be much higher as they are smaller prey than elk. No doubt a major factor in our declining deer population in the Okanagan.

Hunting opportunities

Yellowstone wolves chasing a bull elk
During 2000–2004, the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks reduced antlerless permits by 51% from 2,882 to 1,400. More recently, it proposed only 100 permits for 2006 which is a 96% decrease from the 2,660 permits issued in 1995. Initially, the effects of wolf predation on elk during the first five years of the recovery were not detected, as elk numbers were identical to those of 1980–1994. From the winter of 1995 to the winter of 2004 however, the elk greatly decreased in number, dropping from 16,791 to 8,335 as the number of wolves on the northern range increased from 21 to 106, though predation from bears, increased human harvests, winter and droughts were also factors. Since 2000, 45% of known deaths and 75% of predation-caused deaths of radio collared cow-elk have been confirmed to be attributable to wolves. Human caused deaths in the same period accounted for 8–30% of known deaths. Yellowstone elk comprise up to 92% of the winter diet of wolves, the overall kill rates of Yellowstone wolves on elk in winter being estimated at 22 ungulates per wolf annually. This is higher than the 12 ungulates per wolf rate predicted in the ESA.[33]

IronNoggin
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
First occasion I've had to hunt Region 8 was this past late bow season. My Partner has lived and hunted there a substantially long period of time. So, he was excited to a few of his Hot Spots where he has enjoyed great success over the years.

I obviously won't go into specific details, these are not "my" areas. Besides, it is entirely unlikely I could actually get back to many of them on my own...

I am more than familiar with wolves, and the signs of them. Lived in the Arctic for a substantial period of time, and hunted them HARD for most of that time.

We did chat about wolves in his areas, and he suggested their numbers were likely somewhat small as he had seen but little sign over the years...

One of his Very Special Places (NEVER fails to produce) was basically devoid of deer. The few we saw were extremely spooky. Wandering around those hills we soon determined why: There were wolf tracks damn near everywhere on that mountain, and a couple of kill sites. No Wonder the prey moved out!

This was repeated in several areas, lots of tracks, lots of sign. Anyone who suggests they are not there simply doesn't get out to see what is happening, or is completely blind.

If this matter is not addressed in reasonably short order, those that live / hunt there will soon have a rather large problem on their hands. I have seen first-hand what a burgeoning population of wolves can and will do to ungulate populations. I wish you All The Best on getting a good grasp of this situation before the consequences get too far out of hand.

I too will write. I very much like that area, and fully intend to visit again!

Cheers,
Nog

SHAKER
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
First occasion I've had to hunt Region 8 was this past late bow season. My Partner has lived and hunted there a substantially long period of time. So, he was excited to a few of his Hot Spots where he has enjoyed great success over the years.

I obviously won't go into specific details, these are not "my" areas. Besides, it is entirely unlikely I could actually get back to many of them on my own...

I am more than familiar with wolves, and the signs of them. Lived in the Arctic for a substantial period of time, and hunted them HARD for most of that time.

We did chat about wolves in his areas, and he suggested their numbers were likely somewhat small as he had seen but little sign over the years...

One of his Very Special Places (NEVER fails to produce) was basically devoid of deer. The few we saw were extremely spooky. Wandering around those hills we soon determined why: There were wolf tracks damn near everywhere on that mountain, and a couple of kill sites. No Wonder the prey moved out!

This was repeated in several areas, lots of tracks, lots of sign. Anyone who suggests they are not there simply doesn't get out to see what is happening, or is completely blind.

If this matter is not addressed in reasonably short order, those that live / hunt there will soon have a rather large problem on their hands. I have seen first-hand what a burgeoning population of wolves can and will do to ungulate populations. I wish you All The Best on getting a good grasp of this situation before the consequences get too far out of hand.

I too will write. I very much like that area, and fully intend to visit again!

Cheers,
Nog

10-80.........

phoenix
12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I found these a few hundred yards above my house and I am hearing wolves howling more often each year. I hope they open a season soon as I am seeing less and less deer around the property each year.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/PB030003.jpg

4pointer91
12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Yesterday I saw a single wolf track about 4km east of Penticton off of "Bog Road". Open season anyone?

doubled
12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
One thing to see tracks, it is another to see the one making the tracks and get a shot.

358mag
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
One thing to see tracks, it is another to see the one making the tracks and get a shot.

10-80........ works 24-7 and its non union too !!!!!!!!

Gunner
12-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Just was out on the porch having a smoke after a good dinner,and heard a wolf howl.I called my wife out right away because I knew what was coming,every dog and coyote within 3 miles started barking and yappin'!It happens every time the wolves start up,I think only once have I had the chance to hear the wolves howling back and forth,usually after a minute or so every other canine in the valley is going nuts.A friend looking for cat tracks cut 2 sets of wolf prints in the woodlot behind me last Monday.Bring on the season! Gunner

SHAKER
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
10-80........ works 24-7 and its non union too !!!!!!!!

Tis the good stuff!

Fisher-Dude
12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Just was out on the porch having a smoke after a good dinner,and heard a wolf howl.I called my wife out right away because I knew what was coming,every dog and coyote within 3 miles started barking and yappin'!It happens every time the wolves start up,I think only once have I had the chance to hear the wolves howling back and forth,usually after a minute or so every other canine in the valley is going nuts.A friend looking for cat tracks cut 2 sets of wolf prints in the woodlot behind me last Monday.Bring on the season! Gunner

Get out your elk bugle and give a call or two. The wolves will go crazy when they hear it!

Mountain Hunter
12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
10-80 doesn't work on vehicles, probably the biggest killer of deer in the Okanagan, other than hunters...

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with hunting predators like we do ungulates!

But poison? I've seen deer ingesting grain laced with rat poison to control gophers. that can't be good for all involved!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
10-80 doesn't work on vehicles, probably the biggest killer of deer in the Okanagan, other than hunters...

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with hunting predators like we do ungulates!

But poison? I've seen deer ingesting grain laced with rat poison to control gophers. that can't be good for all involved!

10-80 is canine specific.

SSS

SHAKER
12-31-2011, 09:45 AM
10-80 is canine specific.

SSS

Ding- Ding- Ding! that is correct sir!
No worries about Raptors or scavengers getting ill effects from it.

houndsman
12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Ya 10-80 is the s##t to kill wolves & yots but just try & find some .

Gunner
12-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Get out your elk bugle and give a call or two. The wolves will go crazy when they hear it!I have bunch of wolf howls on my FoxPro,I think I'll tune it up at midnight tonite if I remember to set my alarm to get up then!:mrgreen: Gunner

SHAKER
12-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Ya 10-80 is the s##t to kill wolves & yots but just try & find some .

Tough in B.C. but apparently in Alberta if you have a Coyote problem they will give you some and tell you how to use it right! This came from a long time farmer out there.

Mountain Hunter
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Hmmm, I'm no expert on poisons but a simple search reveals it also kills mammalian herbivores (rabbits, sheep), pigs, weasels, and to a lesser extent birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_fluoroacetate

Yes, the most drastic effects are in canids, but also affects most mammals. It might have it uses in specific circumstances though, I guess (controlling all non-native mammals on an island)?

Once again, I'm not against pursuing wolves and coyotes, just not with broadcast poison in baits, IMO anyways.

No worries about Raptors or scavengers getting ill effects from it.

coach
01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
My grandpa use 10-80 many years ago to poison wolves in the Quesnel area. Unfortunately, the family dog got into it. :(. We can talk all we want on here about using poison. The fact is - there's zero chance our politicians will go down that road. If elected provincially, I don't trust the NDP to even allow us to hunt wolves. Our energy would be much better spent educating people on what wolves do and how leaving their population uncontrolled is detrimental to our ungulates. It's time for us to look more ethical and less redneck.

.300wsm
01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
yeah all we need is a angry mob of wolf chaser's getting there hands on poision and tainting my food get your head out of your ass get out and hunt where you can hunt instead of sitting on a comp spreading the word of poision. The surrounding areas are open put your time in maybe get lucky and hammer one. or better yet get out and trap. I hunt with my dogs and all I need to do is loose a partner to your poision tactics . Cause you can't find any deer guess the wolves ate them all. I seen a lot of deer this year like every other year also have seen a good number of preds like every other year. Have put'em down as well.

phoenix
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Tough in B.C. but apparently in Alberta if you have a Coyote problem they will give you some and tell you how to use it right! This came from a long time farmer out there.
A long time farmer who won't let hunters on his land if he has coyote problems IMO.
Kim

boxhitch
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
No worries about Raptors or scavengers getting ill effects from it.Lots of concern about the by-catch of 10-80 in New Zealand where it is dumped by the tanker load for possum control.
It seems to make other mammals and birds sick and most bounce back, but nay-sayers are calling for a ban .

skills
10-12-2015, 06:22 PM
"Shoot,shovel and shut up". Good rule to live by when the law and justice have become two different things,and when they have become "two different things", don't assume that the authority is your friend. Just S,S&S.

boxhitch
10-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Good post skills. It speaks of your character.