PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing - Where to go?

One Shot
12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Haven't been ice fishing in this region before so I am asking for advice as my 11 year old Grandson wants me to take him ice fishing this winter. He has been looking at augers, tents and all at wholesale and tellin us what we need.

Do not have a snowmobile so we have to be able to drive to, out on or walk onto the lake.

We have a 4x4 pick up and with lots of wilderness winter driving experience. Should be within 5 hrs of the lower mainland.

Where do you recommend to go.

What terminal gear is best for that particular lake you are recommending.

Thank you

Phreddy
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Some of the lakes between Princeton and Merritt along Hwy 5-A are usually pretty good producers this time of year. Just put a small bar rig on your line about30" from the end, with a 12" line and a #6 hookoff the horizontal extension and a couple split shot on the end of the line so that your rig sits about 24 -30" off the bottom. They will take worms, corn, grubs, etc., which can be found at most sporting goods stores and some of the small convenience stores and gas stations. I you stop in at Princeton Outdoor Supply store and ask Ron he'll give you a pretty good report on who,what,when, where and how.
Good luck.

sarg
12-18-2011, 10:19 PM
we're tring tunkwa lake in feb it will be my first time ice fish
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75223-any-ice-fishing-tips

jessbennett
12-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Some of the lakes between Princeton and Merritt along Hwy 5-A are usually pretty good producers this time of year. Just put a small bar rig on your line about30" from the end, with a 12" line and a #6 hookoff the horizontal extension and a couple split shot on the end of the line so that your rig sits about 24 -30" off the bottom. They will take worms, corn, grubs, etc., which can be found at most sporting goods stores and some of the small convenience stores and gas stations. I you stop in at Princeton Outdoor Supply store and ask Ron he'll give you a pretty good report on who,what,when, where and how.
Good luck.

is it not illegal to fish using corn as bait?? just checkin as i was always told and always thought that it was illegal.

Phreddy
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
is it not illegal to fish using corn as bait??

During the regular fishing season it apparently is. But it is allowed and used for ice fishing in most lakes in this area.

heatherdaddy
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
You could always try Big Bar Lake by Clinton. I hear it is pretty good this time of year also

Jagermeister
12-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I would be wary of any ice in the southern interior at this time. Temperatures are way too balmy and any ice is bound to be a little punky.
If you decided to go, make sure you have a good length of rope (50') and each person should have ice awls or picks hanging around the neck ready to use.
Space the distance between persons when traversing the ice. More concentrated weight has greater chances of breaking through.
Remember that ice thickness can vary across a lake. It might be 4 inches in one spot, but if there is a warm water upwelling or a stream flow you can bet that the ice will be much thinner in that vicinity. Many lakes in BC have these warm water upwellings and they may be numerous on one lake. Add to the fact that snow will obsure the condition of the ice and since it is warm, the snow is absorbing moisture from the air increasing the weight load to the ice.
REMEMBER: Don't be an ice tester. "Ice Testers are found in the spring."
Here's a link on the picks.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4549994_use-ice-safety-picks.html

sarg
12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
You could always try Big Bar Lake by Clinton. I hear it is pretty good this time of year also
x2 its a really nice lake

tundra
12-30-2011, 06:51 PM
any of the kane valley lakes are pretty good this time of the year

Benthos
12-30-2011, 09:21 PM
During the regular fishing season it apparently is. But it is allowed and used for ice fishing in most lakes in this area.

Where in the regulations are you reading this?

ianwuzhere
12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
any of the kane valley lakes are pretty good this time of the year

check the regulations on the kane valley lakes-they are not open..
you are allowed to use corn..

Benthos
12-30-2011, 09:32 PM
you are allowed to use corn..

agreed.

don't take word of mouth from people, pick up the regs and read them.