PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear North Pitt Lake

2legit
12-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey all, I want to go out for a first hunt North of Pitt Lake. I have a friend who is a Helicopter Pilot and can get me just about anywhere. Where would you go North of Pitt Lake if you could get a chopper ride in and hunt for a Spring Bear? I am not partial to Pitt lake, but closest to Pitt Meadows airport is what I am lookin for. The only cost I need to take care of is fuel so the cheaper the better and N pitt lake is 15min by air he says. Past Alvin is where I am wanting to go, and Vickers Creek is also an area of interest.

So I need to find some good terrain in that area. How do I know what area will yield bears?
Is there a big population of Blackies in this area?
Where would you go if you could take a chopper ride in for a local hunt?

All input is needed and appreciated. I would really like to come back with a nice rug and some meat, plus show off all the amazing photos and story of a first hunt!

Thanks everonye

Wild one
12-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Chopper ride + hunter = trouble with CO

2legit
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
whats wrong with being dropped in for a hunt by chopper? He isnt staying there and Im gonna be there for a few days

scoutlt1
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Check the regs....page 18 "It is unlawful"... "24. To hunt or transport hunters or wildlife by a helicopter."

recoil
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Remember the salmon are probably on the river right now still eating rotting salmon carcasses (yummy). Maybe you should think about hunting away from a samon river if you want some nice non fishy meat. I woud suggest skip the chopper ride and hunt in the canyon around boston bar on either side of the fraser or theres aways the skagit or merritt/coquihala area, bears are generally not hard to find and are considered a pest in some areas (raiding campsites etc). I seem to run into them a lot, especially when i'm not looking for them.

2legit
12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
damn guess the chopper ride is out, thats totally lame. Still want a nice spring bear tho, would love a nice rug and some meat. where would you guys go for a bear, specially for a first hunt that would almost gurantee success?

mikeboehm
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
If you want a good rug wait til winter, want good steaks get one in the spring

scoutlt1
12-18-2011, 09:11 PM
damn guess the chopper ride is out, thats totally lame. Still want a nice spring bear tho, would love a nice rug and some meat. where would you guys go for a bear, specially for a first hunt that would almost gurantee success?

I agree with recoil, there are lots of good areas up the coquihalla, fraser canyon etc. Plenty of bears around.
Just a note on the Upper Pitt, if you get the opportunity to go on a chopper ride in the spring or summer just for the scenery do it...it's unbelievable up there!
Even if you went up there by boat to hunt, be prepared, it is pretty tough country. I have hiked lots in that area, along with the upper Stave years ago...when you get into the bush it is thick and nasty...
Again, lots of bears in the valleys of the skagit, coquihalla, etc.

2legit
12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
just curious what the difference between a float plane and a helicopter would be? not debating it, just doesnt sound fair, but im also new to the sport.

3mk
12-18-2011, 09:28 PM
rule 24 is laim . so i could parachute out of a plane and that would be fine?

Blair
12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
just curious what the difference between a float plane and a helicopter would be? not debating it, just doesnt sound fair, but im also new to the sport.

float planes land on lakes. Choppers land almost anywhere.

Barracuda
12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
If you want a good rug wait til winter, want good steaks get one in the spring

better fur in spring and better claws in spring

2legit
12-18-2011, 10:20 PM
barracuda. you got a portable welding rig?

Trophyslayer
12-18-2011, 10:43 PM
There's bears everywhere in bc there like rats any fsr within 100 miles of Vancouver has them

Steeleco
12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Your not supposed to hunt for the first 24 hrs after the plane lands either. Do yourself a favor and read the regs, and read them well.

cloverphil
12-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Hey there's bear's in PoCo too, Burke mountain, not sure if we can hunt there though

BiG Boar
12-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Its too bad they don't put some questions on the CORE to make sure hunters have read through the regs. You would almost think it would make sense. Plenty of our hunters out there have NO idea what is legal and what is not. Don't worry 2Legit, I asked the same question on here when I started hunting.

Weatherby Fan
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Its too bad they don't put some questions on the CORE to make sure hunters have read through the regs. You would almost think it would make sense. Plenty of our hunters out there have NO idea what is legal and what is not. Don't worry 2Legit, I asked the same question on here when I started hunting.

Thats why I call the hunting regs "The Bible" it's my bible ! read it ,know it,live by it !
My kids always get a chuckle when I say pass me the Bible please :mrgreen:

Philcott
12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Thats why I call the hunting regs "The Bible" it's my bible ! read it ,know it,live by it !
My kids always get a chuckle when I say pass me the Bible please :mrgreen:

I'm the same way and every year when we drive to the hunting grounds I go through the regs once again and read off important parts to my hunting partner to refresh both our knowledge of what we can and can't do.

I don't necessarily agree with what the regs say but that doesn't matter one bit. What matters is what is legal and what is not.

Read and heed the regs or face the consequences. Quite simple really.

CanuckShooter
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Check the regs....page 18 "It is unlawful"... "24. To hunt or transport hunters or wildlife by a helicopter."

You could get him to chopper in all your gear....and hike into where you want to hunt. Would make the logistics of your trip a little easier.

goatdancer
12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Your not supposed to hunt for the first 24 hrs after the plane lands either. Do yourself a favor and read the regs, and read them well.

The regs say 6 hrs for a non-scheduled aircraft.

goatdancer
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
You could get him to chopper in all your gear....and hike into where you want to hunt. Would make the logistics of your trip a little easier.

You still have to pack the bear out. That would complicate the 'logistics'.

ryanb
12-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Of the many regulations in the bc regs, hunting with the aid of a helicopter is definately NOT one of the dubious ones. It comes down to fair chase, and while we all have varying degrees of what we consider "fair", landing on the top of a mountain to hop out and pop a sheep or goat is definately NOT fair no matter what your definition of fair might be. To advocate for the use of helos is to admit you don't care about fair chase.

Trophyslayer
12-21-2011, 10:56 PM
I thought this thread was a joke when I first read it