PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it for a goose?

longshot
12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Well we have low duck numbers in our spots, so yesterday my dad and I decided to set up in a field for geese. I scouted it on friday, and there were no birds at all in it, but they were passing high overtop.... So we just tried to pull some of that traffic down with deeks and calling. It worked on one flock, but they wanted to get into the otherside of the field...

We called it quits early as we lost all hope for pulling traffic, so we headed down to the bay for an afternoon jump shoot... So here I am sneeking up on the dyke all quietly and my only option is to shoot the ducks if they are right along the river side... I hop over and holy s**t there's a goose sitting in the river!! It takes off and BOOM!! 4th bird this year that has lost a head from close range...

One issue.... its floating into the river!!! And since I only had my gum boots with me I was panacing!! So in a sinch I grabbed the biggest stick I could find and starting stripping down....... Jumped in the river and made the craziest retrieve that I have ever made!! THAT WATER WAS COOOOLD!

Walked aorund for a bit and hid here and there and my dad and I popped another 4 widgeon in half an hour.

All in all 5 birds is good for a short random walk-about at the chuck.... and I learned what hunting dogs go through to retrieve birds lol!

Soooo ya... Its been an odd opener to say the least :???: I forgot to take pics but trust me, you wouldnt really want to look at that goose!

Longshot jr.

Big Lew
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
What about some pictures of you as a retriever, especially in your knickers, lol!

The Hermit
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
LOL they both had goose bumps, hard to tell them apart!

Tanya
12-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Time to get a dog I think!

Foxton Gundogs
12-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Time to get a dog I think!

X2 I remember the only season I ever hunted without a dog I was 16 and dumped a teal in the Allouette River and swam for it. Made me appreciate what I had always taken for granted. Now IS the time for a dog cuz the "silent partner" will never be taken for granted. Good on you tho you kill it you do EVERYTHING in your power to retrieve it..(big trebel hook and heavy line works better than swimming in Dec, as well lol)

blindman
12-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Stripped down and retrieved a Mallard from a freezing pond once. I could feel the heat oozing out of my body as I swam toward the duck but kept up the retrieve. When I got home, I told my wife that it wasn't a smart thing to do, especially considering how hard it was to breathe with a duck in my mouth!

Mr. Dean
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
That would have been a BONE KILLER. :lol:

Better you than me.

blindman
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Kind of what a Lab experiences when "Cold water tail" hits the poor critter.