PDA

View Full Version : Something that can help with the wolf problem

Wild one
12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
With the amount of hunters on here complaining about wolf problems in BC here is something that you can do to try and help.

At this time the MOE has not been putting inactive traplines up for auction(the regs for trapping say inactive lines are to be auctioned off) and as of last year they are no longer giving out yearly permits to trap these lines either. Because of this trappers are having a hard time finding traplines to trap. There is a large number of these lines going unused.

Trapping is a lot more effective for taking wolves than hunting. Trappers are a group that can help with wolf numbers without costing tax payers money. This is a group that can help well enjoying their hobby as hunters enjoy do.

At this time the BCTA is pushing the MOE to auction these inactive lines but the more people telling the MOE to get trappers back out on these lines the better. This would help with wolf problems a lot more than just hoping they go away

Thank you

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
X million................

boxhitch
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Great idea , free up some tenures for others
The hard part will be proving use or lack of use, by those that want to keep their lines. They aren't going to freely admit it.
Maybe we can get Gov't to issue free trappers permits for wolves, like the free miners.

Spy
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Ok any links ect so that we can start writing & complaining! Remember "The Squeeky wheel gets the OIL!"

Wild one
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
The hard part will be proving use or lack of use, by those that want to keep their lines. They aren't going to freely admit it.

There is a large amount of lines that are known to be inactive by the MOE at this time(almost 100 lines in reg 2 alone). There is a good number of lines were the old trapper has died and now the line goes unused

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 12:04 PM

the trappers have to sell $200 worth of fur each year at a minimum ,otherwise there lines can be forfitted I think !
or pay royalties on fur (not sure amount) otherwise there lines are deemed inactive !

Wild one
12-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok any links ect so that we can start writing & complaining! Remember "The Squeeky wheel gets the OIL!"

At this time the best I can tell you is to contact your local MOE but I am waiting on a reply for better direction.

This post was made to see if there would be any support to get things started

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
i spoke to brent (moe biologist) last week and he said there are no auctions planned.
Which is a shame ,and as previosly mentioned you can no longer lease a vacant line.
They could not care less about the wolf problem in my opinion !
why would they stop the leasing of vacant lines,does not make any sense ?

Wild one
12-18-2011, 12:45 PM
i spoke to brent (moe biologist) last week and he said there are no auctions planned.
Which is a shame ,and as previosly mentioned you can no longer lease a vacant line.
They could not care less about the wolf problem in my opinion !
why would they stop the leasing of vacant lines,does not make any sense ?

Are you a member of the reg 2 trapping local?

The reason for inactive lines not being permitted is it was against the regs and it was not supposes to be done in the first place. Unfortunately this was a side affect of the BCTA pushing the MOE to abide by their own regs to auction these lines off(I know it sucks for me as well as I was trapping under permit). The reg 2 trapping local has been talking with Brent about auctioning lines and we will be working around his schedule to get him at are next meeting. At this time no there is not a date for an auction.

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 12:47 PM
not sure what the prices are this year ! havent trapped for a couple of seasons :(:(:(

Wild one
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
What's the price of one wolf pelt...got to be close if not more?

Depends on grade but yes it is possible to get $200+

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 01:16 PM
pm sent .Wild One !

bc traper
12-18-2011, 05:14 PM
North American Fur auctions Feb 2011 Average wolf $93.63 Top price 353.70 588 for sale only sold 85%
I think they are going to flood the market and will sell for less

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2011, 05:17 PM
A lot of these traplines are on native land and with the ongoing negotiations they are not wanting to make them available now should they have to revoke them WHEN the natives get their land and settlements.
Directly from the horses mouth...

bc traper
12-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I was told the same thing and how can they take a line away from a white trapper when they will not take the next one from a native

elkdom
12-18-2011, 05:24 PM
many trap-lines are not being "actively trapped" in NE BC, but the registered owners of these trap-lines receive in many circumstances, HUGE $$$ in YEARLY financial compensation,from Oil & Gas Corporations, for "disturbances"(CASH FEES paid) to compensate for areas that were previously pristine and wild,

Barracuda
12-18-2011, 05:40 PM
if you have a trapline you should have to possess a valid lisense or you lose it. Theres a ton of lines that people have for non trapping reasons and the only way that will change is if the govt has thier feet held to the coals.

Wild one
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
A lot of these traplines are on native land and with the ongoing negotiations they are not wanting to make them available now should they have to revoke them WHEN the natives get their land and settlements.
Directly from the horses mouth...

Yes native land claims are 1 of the issues but there are still a lot of lines that are inactive were native land claims are not an issue. Everyone knows how things get when native issues are involved so hopes and dreams of the lines involving natives coming available are not really high.

The main inactive lines that are being pushed for at this time to auction are the ones that the owner has died or the line was abandon in areas land claims are not an issue.

Yes, there are a lot of lines not being trap but are not declared inactive do to crooked activities(people just paying fur royalties just to have a cabin and the issue elkdom mentioned) this is a whole other problem.

The main reason this problem happened was the MOE just pushed it under the rug and ignored trapping for along time. Last auction for inactive I have heard of was in the 80's and they don't even have accurate records of who owns what trapline.

hunter1947
12-19-2011, 03:59 AM
With the amount of hunters on here complaining about wolf problems in BC here is something that you can do to try and help.

At this time the MOE has not been putting inactive traplines up for auction(the regs for trapping say inactive lines are to be auctioned off) and as of last year they are no longer giving out yearly permits to trap these lines either. Because of this trappers are having a hard time finding traplines to trap. There is a large number of these lines going unused.

Trapping is a lot more effective for taking wolves than hunting. Trappers are a group that can help with wolf numbers without costing tax payers money. This is a group that can help well enjoying their hobby as hunters enjoy do.

At this time the BCTA is pushing the MOE to auction these inactive lines but the more people telling the MOE to get trappers back out on these lines the better. This would help with wolf problems a lot more than just hoping they go away

Thank you
Good information X2 and if you already have a trappers license this will help you big time

russm86
12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey Spy, not to be a stick in the mud so to speak. But sometimes the "Squeaky Wheel" gets replaced rather than oil. lol.

lange1212
12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
If addressing high wolf populations and predation is at the heart of the matter how about this:

Create a resident "wolf snaring" season outside of the registered trapline program, possibly No15 - Dec15 with the following conditions.
1) Must complete the BCTA course and hold a valid trappers licence.
2) Must hold a valid BC hunting license and appropriate tags that apply to harvesting of listed fur bearers.
3) If a wolverine, lynx are snared you've met your quota and your snaring is done for the season.
4) Allow one bait site with a maximum of 8 snares
5) All wolves snared to be reported to measure effectiveness
6) Could be applied in vaccant, unused, via permission of the line holder or generally apply.
7) Will not apply in Parks or within municipal boundaries.

I know if the opportunity existed I and others would with respect and appreciation take advantage of this wolf harvest opportunity. I'm also sure ungulates would welcome such an initative.

A thought for discussion.

tomcat
12-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Take the problem and your concerns to your MLA. Its their job to quide and control government breaucratic actions and represent you in serious government concerns.

Wild one
12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
If addressing high wolf populations and predation is at the heart of the matter how about this:

Create a resident "wolf snaring" season outside of the registered trapline program, possibly No15 - Dec15 with the following conditions.
1) Must complete the BCTA course and hold a valid trappers licence.
2) Must hold a valid BC hunting license and appropriate tags that apply to harvesting of listed fur bearers.
3) If a wolverine, lynx are snared you've met your quota and you're snaring is done for the season.
4) Allow one bait site with a maximum of 8 snares
5) All wolves snared to be reported to measure effectiveness
6) Could be applied in vaccant, unused, via permission of the line holder or generally apply.
7) Will not apply in Parks or within municipal boundaries.

I know if the opportunity existed I and others would with respect and appreciation take advantage of this wolf harvest opportunity. I'm also sure ungulates would welcome such an initative.

A thought for discussion.

Not just about wolf problem but helping trappers get back out on lines will help with it.

1) Already needed to trap
2) Why make another license needed
4)Most trapper use a lot more than 8 snares to a bait station for a reason
6)Can already trap under permission on a trapline, Unused or vacant lines are not able to be permitted now.
7)most parks can not be trapped, Private land under permission can be trap in many municipalities

Most of what you stated would make things more difficult then they already are

If you would like to trap wolves go take your course, buy traps, get permission to private land or from trapline owner and have at it. Sounds easy till the hours of work come in :mrgreen: but trapping is still fun.