PDA

View Full Version : 7-20A elk help

Kalum
12-17-2011, 09:24 PM
headed north tomorrow to visit the outlaws. I've the 7-20a cow elk draw and it's not my usual stomping grounds. We don't have access to any private land so we'll be off exploring. Wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in some of the right directions or any pointers
Thanks...

Swamp mule
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Warm and rained to day. Where abouts you headed too? I have two leh tags as well. Nothing has moveddown off the mountians or out of the timber yet and onto the farmlands but give me a pm

nap
12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
lone prarie folk are usually pretty friendly to help out when there is a problem herd around.

boxhitch
12-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Have a report of a couple of fields with elk showing the last few days. Will call and see how 'open' they are.
Check the maps for the community pasture areas, they are now open to the public.

Kalum
12-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys. Just hitting the road now, looks like a bit of a skating rink out there... looking forward to the drive up. We're going to be staying in FSJ and I've got till Saturday to roam the hillsides. Appreciate the tips, good one about the community pastures and I'll take a look on i-map to see where a likely spot is. Any roads in paticular that would give access to the mountains. Packed everything but the radio so looking for a non-active. Had my fill of dodging loaded trucks this year on our tocha hunt.

elkdom
12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
heavy "RAIN" most of yesterday in this part of 7-20a, and temps of 4 to 6 + Celsius, this melted a LOT of the snow,

this morning minus-15 Celsius,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HARD, CRUNCHY SNOW ! VERY noisy!

ELK can HEAR a man walking in these conditions for at least ONE km !

good luck ! :?

bear buster
12-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Elkdom I know of 2 less elk out that way this AM....and yes backroads VERY slick....hwys ok

Kalum
12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
grats bear buster, good to hear someone's into them. We went for a couple scout hikes on the way up. Busted a few moose and lots of deer but no elk sign. Not much for snow and what was there was still loose so able to keep the noise down. Will hit the hills tomorow and see what's what.

bear buster
12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
not me, to older gents, just stopped and helped them out....see 13 cows tonight....wrong freakin field.....why did the elk cross the road? cuz she seen me and my leh coming!

tbocking
12-28-2011, 11:53 AM
hows everyone making out with the hunt? Im still struggling to find permission in the area, both myself and my daughter have the draw she is excited about being able to take any elk any help would be greatly appreciated

f350ps
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I was up there for that draw last year, my best advise would be to stop in at the sports shop in Fort St.John or McEllinneys and pick up the map book that shows all the crown and private land. It even tells ya the name of the landowner. There is a ton of crown up there that's within your draw area. Good Luck!! K

d6dan
12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
hows everyone making out with the hunt? Im still struggling to find permission in the area, both myself and my daughter have the draw she is excited about being able to take any elk any help would be greatly appreciated

Lack of snow and cold weather is not in your favor right now. From what I'm told from my Bro is nothing is moving from the timber to the fields to feed. Later on around Feb it should be better providing the weather changes..Good luck..

f350ps
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Lack of snow and cold weather is not in your favor right now. From what I'm told from my Bro is nothing is moving from the timber to the fields to feed. Later on around Feb it should be better providing the weather changes..Good luck..

Then I'd move to the timber, that's what we had to do last year. Lots of crown timber to hunt within your region. K