PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible Recurve bows???

Livewire322
12-17-2011, 09:07 PM
I was just watching a movie and they had a guy that pulled a bow out in 3 pieces and screwed it together and strung it.

Ive looked at the PSE website and the coyote model is collapsible and camo!
is there any others, are they any good?
kind of neat to have a takedown bow...

Kody94
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a Chekmate TD (take down) Hunter recurve. Fantastic bow and made in BC!

ROEBUCK
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
i have a hoyt dorado takedown bow
Its great, very smooth ultra light
gona try for a blackie with it !

TheProvider
12-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Most traditional bow companies have takedown models... makes it alot easier to travel with as most bows are 52"-64" long. Some are longer and shorter.

greybark
12-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey Livewire , One piece Trad bows are a pain to carry when on a horseback hunt but are a joy to shoot . The Take downs when on horse back can be broken down and carried in the saddle bags just dont lose the little hex wrench required to assemble .
Cheers

oldtimer
12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Livewire , One piece Trad bows are a pain to carry when on a horseback hunt but are a joy to shoot . The Take downs when on horse back can be broken down and carried in the saddle bags just dont lose the little hex wrench required to assemble .
Cheers

Wisdom of the ages. Probably learned through personal experience :)

Mike

Bow Walker
12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd live to get a Dorado, a Gamemaster or a Buffalo from Hoyt or maybe a Coyote from PSE - although I'm not too enamoured with the grip on PSE bows.

Barracuda
12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
The grip on the coyote twists and contorts your hand. after looking at it a bit i figured i could just remove the awfull grip and after a little bit of prying it popped off.

Without the awkward grip it is ten times better and more natural to shoot . It looks like the small slim grips from the compounds will slip right on if i feel like adding one at a later date. I might just add a leather wrap so its a bit warmer in my hand .

Im pretty happy with it now and getting better and will make for an interesting and new way to hunt. aluminum riser is nice if you want to add accessories

Bowzone_Mikey
12-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Cheers

the words of the wise ......

however for my Take downs I have replaced hex drive screws with thumb screws so you can lock the limbs down with just the tools at the end of your arms

I once "misplaced" my hex key set ....

Gumsehwah
12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey Livewire:

I shoot Martin Jaguar takedown, and now that I've dampened down with silencers and added a mantis rest and sight set, its pretty sweet to use. I nearly got a Sage takedown model, but there wasn't one to be had in the area. :-(

Get either and you won't be spending very much. I didn't consider the PSE bow because I didn't like the feel or the action of it. Felt too . . . Raw(?).

Hope this helps.

Bow Walker
12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
the words of the wise ......

however for my Take downs I have replaced hex drive screws with thumb screws so you can lock the limbs down with just the tools at the end of your arms

I once "misplaced" my hex key set ....
Now that's a damned good idea. One of those ideas that make you say "Now why didn't I think of that"?!?

ROEBUCK
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
great idea !

Monashee
12-19-2011, 09:47 PM
For the money this bow is probably the best buy going , a good shooter http://www.3riversarchery.com/Sage+No+Tools+Take-Down+Recurve+Bow_i2490X_baseitem.html

Bow Walker
12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm just not a fan of those heavy risers that most take downs employ. I understand the reasoning behind them - I just don't like them. Much cleaner lines on the metal risers of the PSE and/or Hoyt take downs.

Livewire322
12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
What exactly is a riser?

Bow Walker
12-21-2011, 11:10 PM
The riser comprises that part of the bow that you hold in your hand, and also that part of the bow that supports the limbs.

Bear_Down
03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
so the fat shit in the middle....LOL

J_T
03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
What exactly is a riser?
Come on, a riser is that part of your anatomy that protrudes stiffly in the morning as you migrate through rem sleep. As Bowwalker described, that part you hold in your hands which supports the limbs. And it's normally wood.

Bow Walker
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Come on, a riser is that part of your anatomy that protrudes stiffly in the morning as you migrate through rem sleep. As Bowwalker described, that part you hold in your hands which supports the limbs. And it's normally wood.
...or as you describe - a "woody"............

firstlight
03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a PSE sierra hunter takedown with both 50 and 55 pound limbs. You can often find an old Hoyt riser and pickup a real nice set of limbs.

I guess the fist question to ask yourself is do you want an aluminum or wood riser, the rest there after will follow naturally. If you really want to ask a large number of traditional archers about takedowns maybe check out Leatherwall. http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM

greybark
03-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Wisdom of the ages. Probably learned through personal experience :)

Mike
Hey Mike good to hear from you . My first Trad harvest was a nice Bull Moose and involved reassembly of my Chek-Mate recurve out of the saddle bags while riding the famous Mule Nester . While in the bags each limb was slipped into a sleeve of a sweater to prevent clater and wear . Next year ditto !
Hope to soon share a beverage with you somewhere along the 3-d line .
Cheers to You and the Extended Family .

aggiehunter
04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I know a guy that is selling an older Fred Bear takedown that uses a hinge system, no tools required...it is a lightweight sweet shooting bow but the handle is a little thin a gives a bit of shock...$800...he will have it at the gun show in Penticton in April.