PDA

View Full Version : Battle Grounds...

Black Bird
12-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi there,

This season I came upon some very obvious signs of battle between bucks. I am wondering if people find that bucks tend to use the same battle ground from year to year, or do they move on to different locations?

Cheers,
BB

oldkoot
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Three of the most vicious Mule Deer fight scenes I have come across, have been within 1km of each other. These were different years. Coincedence ? Could be just beacause it is at two intersecting travel routes.

uraarchr
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Last winter I came across a battle scene and this year I got my muley there:but there was no sign of a battle.I think this year there was less snow so more human traffic judging by all the tire tracks.Last year I had to hike farther from where I had to park.Still saw lots of big muley tracks though.

Big Lew
12-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Up in the Anderson watershed, there were 2 wide areas on the logging roads at the top end of the upper valley, one on each side of Anderson Creek, that were tremendously ripped up every year, until the wolves took over the valley. I think those locations were continually used each year because they were the center of the hub of corridors and a natural gathering/ feeding area until the snows chased them lower down.

Fisher-Dude
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I dunno, but when I found a big area ripped up and full of hair one afternoon, I started on the grunt tube and brought a forky muley right to it. I went back the next morning and shot this guy 20 yards from the battle scene. Seems like a good spot, and I'd say hunt it if you find one!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/00320013.jpg

BlacktailStalker
12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Bucks are territorial... not to say they dont wander but the "king" of every species likes to set up in the most ideal living situation so I'd imagine you've found a good spot where more than one quality buck wants to be during the rut.

hunter1947
12-17-2011, 02:14 AM
If I found an area where bucks have been battling I know where I would be hunting right in that area.