PDA

View Full Version : Moose Inventory Plans - Region 8

Fisher-Dude
12-16-2011, 07:34 AM
As some of you know, the region 8 clubs raised money last year to survey a few MUs. This year, one of my "inside sources" informed me that the ministry has actually secured government funding to do a moose inventory in all MUs in region 8!

Great news that should give us valuable information to manage our moose!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Wow! Not much time to get plans made. They should be in the air pretty soon?? Maybe they already are?

doubled
12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I thought the air surveys were done closer to spring or does it matter?? Wouldn't they want to see what the winter has in store for them (i.e winter survival) ??? This is great news to see the govt funding this - wonder why the change??? Maybe realized things need to be looked at alot more??

Also wonder what the region 8 clubs will plan on doing with the money that they raised for these air surveys. Another project??

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I thought the air surveys were done clsoer to spring or does it matter. This is great news to see the govt funding this - wonder why the change??? Maybe realized things need to be looked at alot more??

Also wonder what the region 8 clubs will plan on doing with the money that they raised for these air surveys. Another project??

They like to survey moose before their antlers hit the ground so they can get a bull:cow ratio. I think they were in the air before xmas last yr?
Maybe another late winter flight to estimate calf survival?

SSS

SimilkameenSlayer
12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
i think they will find that there is a very healthy number of moose in region 8, particularly around Princeton. i saw the most moose that i have ever seen, this GOS, around Princeton.

Deeboe
12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
As some of you know, the region 8 clubs raised money last year to survey a few MUs. This year, one of my "inside sources" informed me that the ministry has actually secured government funding to do a moose inventory in all MUs in region 8!

Great news that should give us valuable information to manage our moose!

Nice! I would be quite interested to read the results of their findings. Please post of you come across that before the rest of us!

TheProvider
12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Hopefully their smarter than the ontario government

358mag
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Sure hope the MOE has enuff $$$ to spend time and do a complete count in all of Region 8 not just the select few MU's they did last year be nice to see them count in 8-01,02,08,09
hopefully they can come up with some good news in the southern units

igojuone
12-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I believe they are in the air now, there was a story in the Capital News this week(Thursday) about the sheep and also mountain goats in region 8-10 and they mentioned they we're just starting to count moose but the numbers look good, lots of bulls and calfs.

OK Mountain Park
Goats 64
Sheep 67 but number should go up

Fisher-Dude
12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Sure hope the MOE has enuff $$$ to spend time and do a complete count in all of Region 8 not just the select few MU's they did last year be nice to see them count in 8-01,02,08,09
hopefully they can come up with some good news in the southern units

Every MU has at least 2 stratified blocks. That's the most in-depth I survey I think they've ever done. Should give really good region-wide coverage and let us know which units need help and which ones can sustain more opportunity. Makes sense that we manage by unit, eh?

Doubled, the money from last year was used to survey 8-08, 8-11, 8-10, 8-12 and I think 8-23 (I may have missed one). There's a few thou left in the Heritage Fund from what was raised, and it looks like it may go towards collaring a few bulls and tracking their migration habits.

mark
12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow! Not much time to get plans made. They should be in the air pretty soon?? Maybe they already are?

Bases on what Im seeing lately, they wont see many moose if they fly the usual winter range areas.......theres nothing for snow, and hardly any animals on the winter range yet.
Could make for some disappointing results????

TheProvider
12-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Bases on what Im seeing lately, they wont see many moose if they fly the usual winter range areas.......theres nothing for snow, and hardly any animals on the winter range yet.

They do the same thing in ontario. A few years ago my dad was flying with the helicopter pilot that had worked with the biologists to do the "count." The pilot was a hunter and even though it was winter the biologist made him fly over summer ranges.

ROEBUCK
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
If the numbers come up good ?
what will happen ?
will they give us a longer season or more leh ?
shaw would be nice to hunt a spike in the rut rather than after its all over !

boxhitch
12-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Bases on what Im seeing lately, they wont see many moose if they fly the usual winter range areas.......theres nothing for snow, and hardly any animals on the winter range yet.Likewise. Still seeing fresh sign above 1400 meters.

SHAKER
12-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Cool....... more moose tags for the Huberts......and the residents getting the big old stiff hairy one! By the way how's the cat season going?

SHAKER
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Sorry F-D..... Just a little wound today... Long day in the shop talk'n politics, hopefully resident will see some good out of this.

The Dude
12-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Ah good, now we'll have a better handle on how many are taken by the Stewards every year. :D
Hope they count wolves while they're at it.

Mountain Hunter
12-17-2011, 01:09 AM

There's a reason why they base it on a stratified count (low, med, high), they usually do a pre-stratification flight in a fixed wing before the survey to account for low or high snow levels and where moose are distributed (including high elev. areas in low snow years) to adjust those stratification ratings, then they do the heli-surveys and adjust for sightability in various units.

Could make for some useful results!!!!!

.300WSMImpact!
12-17-2011, 11:19 AM

I am pretty sure they know this, we are not dealing with stupid people, and as for winter ranges I have seen tons of moose in the winter ranges 8 the last time I was there. From what I heard it will not change the season for this year, they are not even planning on giving more LEH for residents