PDA

View Full Version : So Proud; Sons 1st Bull Bison..video & pic heavy

tomahawk
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
“F--kin awesome, my first LEH, I don’t believe it!!” my son Brock yelled over the phone. And when we hung up from that call it started 6 months of planning to ensure that a bull was going to be in the cross hairs come his draw date.

Between myself, my brother Garth and good friend Rod we have a combined total of 11 bison trips between us and each of us brings varying experiences and knowledge of the area and bison from these hunts to our team. However, one thing that you have no control over is the snow conditions. This in itself becomes the single greatest challenge for most hunters.

Rod and I left Nanaimo on the 5:15 am ferry, we picked up Brock from his flight from work camp and carried on to the Pink Mountain area and spent the night, -31 degrees. The next morning came early on our 3rd day of travel, the sleds would not start in the -31 degree temp and it took us 5 hrs to get them running and off loaded from the truck.

Finally we were on our way with fully loaded skimmers into our remote camp deep in the valley. There was no extra time that afternoon to do anything other then make ourselves comfortable and warm, and fill our belly’s; we were exhausted and off to bed by 8 pm.

As the light started to creep over the mountains the sleds moved slowly along the valley floor. We had planned our camp to be at the edge of what we expected to be Bison Heaven and did not want to drive past any of the big beasts in the morning darkness. We encountered evidence of Bison track quickly but they were a day or so old. As we slowly rounded and crested a corner and there it was, Bison Heaven!

They were spread out with 2 good shooter bulls (3-4 yrs old and prime eatin) and a couple that were too big (here in called Burger Bulls cause that’s all they were). Brock knew what he wanted and that was a good bull for looks and mostly for eating. Off in the background as we observed the first herd we noticed yet another herd making its way towards us. This herd was much larger and had several burger bulls and shooter bulls in it. We formulated a plan for a stalk.

As we climbed out of a small ravine we saw yet another herd at the timbers edge that was joining the other 3 herds. In total now there was easily more then 100 bison before us and more likely closer to 140.

It was great to be so close to the Bison but also we now had an extra 139 or so ears, eyes and noses to alert them to us and foil our stalk for the one shooter bull we were after. It was decided that their behaviour was such that they were not going anywhere soon, so we all agreed this was a once in a life time chance to get in the midst of this massive herd.

Off we went again, back tracking on our path for a bit till we had cover enough to circle around down wind and make our way up into the timber where we could make good time moving and be well hidden and still down wind. After more then a 2 hr stalk we were well hidden, slightly above and within 100 yds of a sea of Bison.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0030AVI_snapshot_0014_20111208_232401.jpg
As we listened to an amazing display of dominance with loud bellows from the Burger Bulls, out from behind the right side of a mound appeared a shooter bull, then another and another. The third bull rounding the mound was the one Brock liked. The bull walked non stop to within 80 yds of us. As he finally turned quartering broadside to us, Brock put 180 grains into his chest and well you can see what happens for yourself:

WARNING.......this is a video with some Coarse Language and an animals death, discrection should be used!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdi5EoDv2z8&feature=player_detailpage

Before dark that day we had the meat skinned and back at camp. Now it was party time!! The next morning we quartered him and put on the home made Bison bags for keeping him clean on the ride out and had a relaxing fun day of doing what we pleased. The next morning we took the meat out first to the truck and then our gear.

My son, The happy hunter..
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0032.jpg

The gang...
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0043-1.jpg

Getting the carcass into a workable position with sleds...
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0048.jpg

Tips/hints and things to think about:
1) Be prepared with the proper transportation for the snow and ground conditions.
2) Weather can be extreme!
3) Get as much knowledge from those who have been there before as you can!
4) Unless you’re on the first couple hunts of each year, don’t expect the bison to be in the Valley bottom waiting to get shot, they are not that dumb!
5) Be prepared to hunt way back away from the Sikanni River Outfitters as in the later hunts they are usually pushed a fair ways out.
6) Trimble and Marion Lake area’s always, and I mean always have herds on them. If you don’t see them, look harder they are there somewhere!
7) Trimble Lake trail is easy access, Marion Lake trail means crossing the river which requires adventurous individuals as well as common sense and safety first reasoning.

Odds and sods for you numbers guys...
Bases.....15"
Length....17"
Width.....24.5"
Days hunting....3.5 hrs

luckynuts
12-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Unbelievable again Tomahawk. Nice work and congrats to your son. You have some good eats there !!!!!

W

CanuckShooter
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Kewl.....thanks for sharing....CS

cavebear
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
F%#$ awsome great vid congrats and thanks for the tips

GoatGuy
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Congrats, wish I could see the vid on this phone.

GreenFace
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Congrats to your son, Tomahawk. Thanks for sharing your story and pics. It brings back memories for me. Some "good eats' there. Again, congrats to all.

Bow Walker
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
That's great Tom. Congrats to you and your son.

Looks like some very tasty meals ahead for you guys.........

ROEBUCK
12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
cool
congrats

TSW
12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Talk about being able to take your pick!! Congrats on getting 'er done. Thanks for posting!

asurebet
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Awesome job, congrats to your son, excellant video.

Hombre
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Congrats on a great hunt! Thankyou for writing a good story , and sharing some of your experienced tips.

Schutzen
12-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Way to go guyz.
Nice work on the filming too Tommy.

BiG Boar
12-14-2011, 01:25 PM
You should change your name to Tatonka Assassin. You really know how to kill them things. Well done!

Sure is a fun hunt. A lot of people come home empty handed though.

12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
RIGHT ON !
ConGrats !!

Brings back a memory, I've won one tag in 16 tries got it 2 years ago with successful kill ...... sure hope I get another chance.

Thanks for posting

CT

bowhunterbruce
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
You should change your name to Tatonka Assassin.

ain't that the truth,dave
i saw the video yesterday tom and left a note on it.very cool buddy and again i thank you for all your guidence when my buddy and i went up.it accually looks as though you were not very far from where we were.
i'm thinking that you guys got the twin to ours as all the numbers ended up being very close to the same.
very well done and congrats to the kid
bhb

Ringo 7MM
12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Congrats on getting an awesome bull, but, you guys should have used a tripod for camera.

twr
12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Congrats, awesome video.

srupp
12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
awesome bison...sheeesh only 3.5 hrs...

congradulations...

steven

mark
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Congrads on the bison, brings back memories of my hunt many years back!
Myself I would of put another round in that buff!

thunderheart
12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
nice nice nice ..

Wrayzer
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Unreal, congrats on the 3.5 hours of hunting!!

Orangethunder
12-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Great post! Thanks for sharing that, the video was sweet.

ufishifish2
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Great job guys. It was great that you spent the time to share with all of us.
Myself, I wouldn't have put another round in that Buff! Why ruin more excellent table fare???
Enjoy the eats guys!! I am truly envious. Can't wait til I get to go back..........

cas-has-cars
12-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Well done, I always heard zone b was a tougher hunt. You made it look easy! Not everyone has that kind of experience. Wow to see that many bison in one clearing what an adventure! What did it dress out at?

kennyj
12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Nice work guys. What an amazing hunt. You sure have those bison figured out.
kenny

Caveman
12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Great Job and Congrats to the son. Great Hunt!!

ursus
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
That is awesome and is a lot of beef in that herd! It was great to capture that on video! Congrats! I hope some of them get pushed into the other zone ;)

Young Gun
12-14-2011, 07:48 PM
great video congratz on the first bison

moosinaround
12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Awesome, and well deserved Tomahawk!! A hunt not for the faint of heart thats for sure!! COngrats again!! Moosin

nano
12-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Well done, congrats!

scoutlt1
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Well done!

yiorgo3
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Great Job again Tom. Rod told me about the video that you took. I have been looking for it on the site for a week now. Cool to see the bison before I saw it hanging in the shed. Thanks again for the stories and the visit!

tomahawk
12-14-2011, 11:33 PM
You should change your name to Tatonka Assassin. You really know how to kill them things. Well done!

Sure is a fun hunt. A lot of people come home empty handed though.

Good point, I hope that this video does not give hunters the thought that they are all over the valley like they see here. Most hunters will never see a single bison on their trip, we have taken 5 LEH's to find where they are when the hunting pressure starts and it is very remote and far from where the masses ever get to.

tomahawk
12-14-2011, 11:37 PM
ain't that the truth,dave
i saw the video yesterday tom and left a note on it.very cool buddy and again i thank you for all your guidence when my buddy and i went up.it accually looks as though you were not very far from where we were.
i'm thinking that you guys got the twin to ours as all the numbers ended up being very close to the same.
very well done and congrats to the kid
bhb

Hey Bruce, i got the email and replied to your comments and your welcome, only to happy to help a fellow contributing HBCer succeed in their quest for a bison. Glad to hear they were where i had said and it does look a lot like a twin to the one Brock got, mmmm lots of good eatin!! Tom

moose2
12-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Great story and pictures congrats to your son.
Mike

hunter1947
12-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Nice kill footage the camera person took Tom very nice bull your son took congrats to the whole hunting party http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

west250
12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Nice job - meat in camp! Looks like you busted his shoulder??

tomahawk
12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Congrats on getting an awesome bull, but, you guys should have used a tripod for camera.

I dont disagree that it brings the best stabilization but it was a spur of the moment thing and i only had a Digital Camera that had a "video" mode and i decided to give it a try however my main focus was to provide assistance for Brock prior to and during the time it took to put the bull on the ground! At least it gives you an idea of what went down for that time.

rifleman
12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
man that sucker is huge.. lots of meat for the BBQ... congrats!!!!

Ride Red
12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
tomahawk,

Congrats to your son. Always nice to see the young fellows out.

tomahawk
12-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Great job guys. It was great that you spent the time to share with all of us.
Myself, I wouldn't have put another round in that Buff! Why ruin more excellent table fare???
Enjoy the eats guys!! I am truly envious. Can't wait til I get to go back..........

It was a tough call on whether Brock was going to put another round in him or not, like Mark says it could have gone either way. Brock was ready as you can hear in the video and almost fired again but when he dropped, there was huge streams of lung blood flowing out of him and he was on borrowed time at that point. We could have fired again but with what was happening it wasnt required this time.

pg83
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Congrats to your son on a great bull. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us and thank you for the info as well.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
congrats to Brock!! and the rest of the crew on a very awesome hunt...and always good to throw in some tips ;-)

ydouask
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow ! Now that was really interesting, enjoyed every second of it. Thanks for sharing your son's hunt with us.

fester
12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
awesome, thanks for sharing.

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Hot Damn, Tomahawk. . .

Steaks, roasts, ribs and burgers for a year!!!

The Sikanni? Is that up near Ft. Where?

Fraink
12-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Great story and pics, thanks Tomahawk. Still hoping to pull the trigger myself instead of accompanying.

tomahawk
12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Well done, I always heard zone b was a tougher hunt. You made it look easy! Not everyone has that kind of experience. Wow to see that many bison in one clearing what an adventure! What did it dress out at?

B is tougher for a couple reasons but mostly because there are more Bison in A typically. The guides in B make it less successful for the hunter as they know the area and have the advantage of an airplane to know where the herds are on any given day. The success rates over the past several years has been much better in A for sure on HBC. We were a bit shocked I must say at seeing that many bison together. On our hunt 2 yrs ago it took us a while to find any bison at all and then it was only solitary bulls. So that many was certainly surprising. Who knows there could have been none as they move around at will. We got very lucky for sure!! We did the butchering ourselves and it was approx between 5 and 6 hundred lbs of meat cutting.

fearnodeer
12-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing, brings back memories.

tomahawk
12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Nice job - meat in camp! Looks like you busted his shoulder??

No shot in the shoulder. Lungs and the neck on his 2 shots.

91Jason91
12-18-2011, 05:03 AM
thats a nice vid and nice pics congrats

trigger
12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
awesome!!!!!!!
11th trip, wow good for you guys. awesome footage of all the bison. great bull good shooting congrats to all

tomahawk
12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Hot Damn, Tomahawk. . .

Steaks, roasts, ribs and burgers for a year!!!

The Sikanni? Is that up near Ft. Where?

Its 2 hrs north of Ft St John and 2hrs south of Ft Nelson, in the middle of Ft No Where!!

300H&H
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Wow...I never knew bison hunting was so EASY ! Congratulations.

tomahawk
12-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow...I never knew bison hunting was so EASY ! Congratulations.

Well it was the best situation for choice i have ever been in......Now let me see, which one of 140 do I want to choose? It actually was a bit of a nightmare when it came to trying to all talk about the same bull!!

Clouddog
09-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Tomahawk. Thank you for this write up one if the best on the net regarding this hunt. I am going Nov 16th and hopefully will have report for the forum.