PDA

View Full Version : Porky-pines

CanuckShooter
12-14-2011, 02:14 AM
I went the entire fall and never saw a single porcupine..it seems to me that 20 years ago there were more around? Does anyone know if the govt biologists keep track of these non game animals? Are there less porcupines around in the interior or am I just imagining it??

hunter1947
12-14-2011, 02:45 AM
You are right up here in the area I hunt in the EK I used to see 2 porky-pines when I hunted this area for a two week period the last two years spending 5 months in the bush have not seen one ??? :confused:.

Glenny
12-14-2011, 04:51 AM
I saw one about 30 years ago up by Logan lake, never seen one since. Hm!

kevan
12-14-2011, 05:08 AM
The last one we saw near our cabin ( 70 Mile ) was at least 5 yrs. ago.
They were at one time quite plentiful around there.
I'm sure the neighborhood dogs don't miss them.

oldkoot
12-14-2011, 05:13 AM
In the 60's , 70's , and 80's you could not leave your vehicle overnight in many valleys here in the E.K. It would be destroyed. Everyone packed a roll of chicken wire......always. Some evenings in the spring comeing out of the St.Marys after bear hunting, it would not be uncommon to see upwards of 20 to 30 porky's. There was many guys would blast eveyone they saw. In those days the signs were made of plywood, and they would last maybe a week or two. I see a couple a year around these parts. And I see a fair number every year in Northern B.C. and even more in the Yukon. Can't say I wan't to see big numbers of them ever again.

ufishifish2
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Alas, with the loss of the vast Lodgepole Pine stands of British Columbia,
we also lose the annoying pine tree eating, and worse yet, vehicle eating "Porky-Pine".
Mebbe we should rename 'em cause Porky ain't so porky no more!

EastKootenay
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I see the occassional tree that has been recently chewed by a PP but I have not seen one for several decades. They prefer younger pole-sized stands and we have plenty of those around. Our EK cougar population is very high too. I have skinned both cougar and wolverine with PP quills in them but I don't think they are consistent predators of PP to the point of causing a pop decline ...more likley catching a PP is something that they may try...once as a teen-ager. As far a I know Fishers are the only true predators of PP....and there is virtually none of them around. I doubt government biologists are doing anything about it...they really don't have the resources to do much at all these days. It's sad really...all wildlife play a role in making the wilds wild. As hunters we benefit from healthy ecosystems and biological diversity - with that there wil be no hunting. When a species declines its an indicator of something in the natural system that isn't functioning right. PP along with voles, hares, bears and forest diseases are part of natural mechanisms that thin young - overstocked growing forests so they become suitable habitat for herbivores. True hunters are conservations and in N. Am they have always led the way with the conservation of many species of wildlife - even the ones they can't hunt.

Big Lew
12-14-2011, 09:00 AM
I suspect that the constant pressure of ranchers bumping them off, as well as more paved roads and heavier traffic, especially at night when they seem to like coming out to the warm asphalt, or looking for mates, are steadily reducing their numbers. They don't re-produce high broods of kits yearly. I don't blame drivers for running them over, as they are extremely had to see in time, but it's always sad to see so many porcupine and skunk roadkill every spring.

knockturnal
12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I saw 4-5 of them this hunting season around kelowna. Got some decent footage of one with my new HD camera. I was around 10"-12" away. I'll post it up when I get home.

Trophyslayer
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I see ushally 10-12 a season and last year up on the kluskus frs I saw 3 that have we're shot and left on the road by some a$$hat

Stone Sheep Steve
12-14-2011, 10:05 AM
We always see quite a number spring bear hunting the slides. Don't recall seeing too many last yr but it was an odd spring.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_Hunt_3_2010_091.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

SSS

skibum
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
They are schedule B animals, but there is no open season for them. So only can be popped you are a land owner protecting your property - is that correct?

mark
12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Ive seen more in the past 5 years than my whole life previous to that????

jeff
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
up in reg 7 b ,back in the 90,s we would see an average of 10 every year in the two weeks we would be there .gradually its gone down every year till we dont even see any now, havent seen one up there in 5 years now ...saw a few around tulameen this year though

TommyGuitar
12-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I heard they are good eating.

jeff
12-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I heard they are good eating.

oh no ,ive tried a couple different ways... absolutly horrible .we made porky stew ,it looked delicous but it wasnt

CanuckShooter
12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Ive seen more in the past 5 years than my whole life previous to that????

Sounds like you just might be the odd man out???

ufishifish2
12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Stop huntin' the burns Mark. Stop huntin' the burns...........

thetackdriver
12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
just look for old campers left in the bush and you should find yourself a porquipine

nature girl
12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Usually see 1 or 2 a year.

Johnny G1
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Lots of them up in the Yukon, must have counted 25 this past summer and our friends dog just got hold of one last week 30 miles north of Whitehorse, got quite a mouth full.

knockturnal
12-15-2011, 12:11 AM
neat vid from october.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/th_porkypine.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/?action=view&current=porkypine.mp4)

hunter1947
12-15-2011, 04:18 AM
I wonder if wolves play a big roll on eliminating porky-pines in areas that are infested with hi numbers of wolves ???? I know the area I hunt I have not seen a PP in a few years and there are hi numbers of wolves in this area .

The porky-pines are a very slow moving animal and wolves would have no problem catching one of these animals if they find a way of getting around there quills..

Walksalot
12-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Seen 3 this year all in the same day.

CanuckShooter
12-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Lots of them up in the Yukon, must have counted 25 this past summer and our friends dog just got hold of one last week 30 miles north of Whitehorse, got quite a mouth full.

Are they using herbicides up there?? I have a gut feeling there may be a correlation between herbicide use and the demise of the porky-pine.

Dirt Road King
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
saw one last year......only one i have ever seen....

Gumsehwah
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Fewer up here in the Nass valley as well.

d6dan
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Fishers are there #1 enemy. They will turn a porcupine over and disembowel him right quick. I used to see a lot of them on the mainland coast in logging camps. I heard from an ol' timer that had eaten them on time. "Taste like Balsam trees."