PDA

View Full Version : Newbie deer hunter, need some advice

Davy Crockett
12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I think this is my first post here so first off hi to all and my apologies for the long winded post.

I'm hoping to get some advice on black tail hunting in the Harrison Lake (east side) area.

I've been hunting a couple times over the years (never shot anything) but this is the first year I made a real effort to spend some time and get a bit more serious.

I went out a few times in late October and saw a lot of does and a couple of bucks. I passed up a easy shot on a spike as there were so many deer in the area I was sure I'd get another chance (last time I do that) but due to some unforeseen circumstances I only got out one weekend after that.

I just came back from a day trip back up in the same area and didn't see anything, not even a single doe. All the tracks I saw were at least 2-3 days old as they had been snowed on and it wouldn't have snowed since Saturday.

What I'm wondering is, is it worth going back into that area or is the lack of recent activity a sign the deer have moved? The spot is behind a locked gate I have the key to so I don't think the hunting pressure is too heavy (not much sign of people being in the area) and the weather was good, -2, sunny, no wind.

I'm hunting this area because it's close to home and I can't get a whole lot of time off to go to more productive areas. There's only a couple of days left so I'm debating taking a day off work and going back for a last try but I'm not sure if it makes sense.

lovemywinchester
12-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Can't shoot one if you are not out there. Go everyday till it closes. When you are cooking a roast from your first deer you will be very happy you went back. Go early and stay confident.

longstonec
12-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Spikers taste fantastic also.

Davy Crockett
12-13-2011, 12:13 AM
After some more time to think about it I think I'll take the day off tomorrow and go back in. Like you say, I won't have any luck if I'm at work. :)

I'm curious if there is a pattern to how the deer move? Do they cover a large area and what influences their movement? I think if I can learn more about their behavior I'll be a more successful hunter.

The other thing I'm wondering how to deal with the snow. It's rained and frozen again and the snow is very noisy in most areas. I thought about getting into a spot and just sitting tight and waiting but I'm not sure how effective that is in areas like this?

hunter1947
12-13-2011, 02:44 AM
The deer are there if the tracks are a few days old continue going back try evenings as well as mornings the rut really gets fired up starting the middle of Nov good luck and welcome to the forum ,H-47.

Jelvis
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Day vee Dave ee Crew cut hey Davy blacktails are hard to hunt ok no kidden lol. Eapecially thick antlered bucks.
If you saw deer in a spot b4 and it was loaded with doe and one spiker then you missed the rut eh?
Hunt in the rut peak for your herd in your spot, then with all the females around the bigger bodied and bigger antlered bucks come into focus looking for a gal friend whose lookin for it.
That means fighting off other stud bucks and the battlers winner takes the doe for a ride.
Motivation and desire coupled with opportunity gives the rut it's allure to hunters of deer because the rut causes a frenetic pace in the bucks life at this peak period of estrus with the hot mamma's.
If your after meat to eat then pick an early season two pointer or spike for prime organic venison that is supreme in taste and texture.
If you want a big necked, stinky, four point blacktail buck in his glory, sleek and muscled hunt the rut from mid October til late November. Take a boat up the Harrison and campside.
Jel ( Harrison Lake ) Hoot Owl

Davy Crockett
12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yesterday was my last chance to get out and I got skunked. Spent the whole day hoofing through the snow and saw one lonely doe. Found a ton of new deer tracks and what looked like cat tracks and they were pretty fresh which was cool.

I think it was just too late of a start to the day but it couldn't be helped. On the bright side it was great to be completely alone in the woods and it sure beat going to work.

Better luck next year I figure.

Jelvis
12-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Davy Crew Cut your welcome hunter hoofing through the snow sounds cool. Cat tracks of snow shoe rabbit tracks? They look kinda a like to some. Not sayin lol. Being alone in the bush is great for relieving stress to seeing the wilds in real life.
I hope you talk to some hunters who know your area and region who can direct you to a starting point into good deer hunting near your vicinity.
Ask about the rut peak in the local gun shop or talk to sportsman and stores that sell out door hunting gear and supplies.
Good luck Davy
Jelvis in Kamloops B.C.

monasheemountainman
12-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Davy Crew Cut your welcome hunter hoofing through the snow sounds cool. Cat tracks of snow shoe rabbit tracks? They look kinda a like to some. Not sayin lol. Being alone in the bush is great for relieving stress to seeing the wilds in real life.
I hope you talk to some hunters who know your area and region who can direct you to a starting point into good deer hunting near your vicinity.
Ask about the rut peak in the local gun shop or talk to sportsman and stores that sell out door hunting gear and supplies.
Good luck Davy
Jelvis in Kamloops B.C.

your a good man Jelly always willing to help people! take his advice he knows what hes talkin bout. many days you will be skunked way more than you get chances, but thats why its hunting not killing. keep enjoying the outdoors!

hunter1947
12-15-2011, 04:04 AM
Jel is a great person to have on this site he is willing to go out of his way to help others I take my hat off to this man he is tops in my book ,keep up doing what you love doing helping others thats what life is all about PS I don't take my hat off for many people just a few times now and then LOL...

matt420
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
it is always worth going back to a spot, thats how i got my 4x3 mule this year didnt see anything for a few days in there and decided ill give er one more chance and there he was the first and only thing i seen that day right at sun rise, just puttin in lots of time and having patience will pay off, as for that spiker i would have shot him in a heart beat they taste so so good, infact shot a spike mule this year myself cuz they are delicious, and in my opinion "a pound of burger is better then a pound of dick all"