PDA

View Full Version : Crooked Lake hunt

7 mag
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
HEY SPORTS FANS, Has anyone out there ever roamed the Crooked Lake country (5-15)? Heading there in a couple weeks for Moose & Mulies, Not sure what to expect.

mikek blacktail
10-01-2006, 10:28 AM
i've hunted there lots before 2oo3 always seen some moose and got a moose. it's getting really over grown around crooked lake area though. the road to tisdale lake and roads off it I had good luck for mule deer seen 30 in one hour but that was late september.

chinooker
10-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I used to log out there years ago at the old blackcreek camp saw lots of moose back then.

mark
10-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Ive hunted that area a little! You live in the east koots, why are you going there? what are you hunting for? There is game there, but its very tough country to say the least! Not somewhere i long to return too!

boonerbuck
10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I use to live in Horsefly and I spent quite a bit of time hunting that country.

Mulies can get sparse around Crooked by mid Oct but moose is OK.

I was hunting Tisadal last year in Sept. I cannot believe how much pressure is in there now. Was sick of the quad parade through every inch of hunting country.:frown:

JMac
10-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Agree with booner buck on this one. I've been in the a lot of the highcountry around Crooked lake in early September over the years. Went up high one year in October and all of the deer had migrated. Won't do that again. Few times I was surprised to see quads and quad tracks all over some of the highcountry that I had hiked into. Guess motorized elevation restrictions don't mean much to some. Since then I've picked steeper/nastier spots to hunt early in the season so there won't be any quads roaring around in the alpine. I imagine lower down on the plateaus you'll be in moose and mulies this time of year.

7 mag
10-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the info Mark, Just lookin to see some different country, & Was rewarded with Moose draws, Very difficult to come by here in the East Koot's you know.

dana
10-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I've spent quite a lot of time in the highcountry around Crooked Lake both on foot and on horses. The majority of the deer seem to bail out of that highcountry fairly early. Some nasty country in there but there are some Big Boys kickin' around. That low country is pretty damn thick. The cuts grow up rather fast. Kinda like Blue River that way. Nothing like the Interior wetbelt of the Cariboos.

mark
10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Ok if you have a moose draw, bring a small boat! Venture to the far end of crooked lake. Its very moosey there, as its a swampy area where the creek runs in. Its been 10 years since i was down there but there was no road access anywhere near the area. Moose tracks right on the beach when i was there! As well the whole east side of the lake is remote and no access. It will be a nice way to hunt and beat the crowds!

7 mag
10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all for the info, If i can ever help here in the Elk Valley give me a shout!