PDA

View Full Version : Bison Hunt 57- A, Any Reports/Weather?

Belle
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Heading up Wednesday for the Dec 16 57-A Bison hunt, has anyone come back yet form the last opening, information on weather and snow conditions up there would be a help. Taking snowmobiles and will be renting a cabin at the Blue Berry (Pink Mountain) Ranch, any info on the Bison movements would also help.

cameron0518
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Best time of year to track the beasts down. I would love to snowmobile for them. Good luck!

cas-has-cars
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
We were up at blueberry ranch from 3 to 8th and seen 2 kills that were taken 1st or 2nd day. After that few fresh tracks to be seen till the 7th when my hunting partner and tag holder got a cow out of a herd of 10 we walked into. 6 other hunting groups at that time working the area with no success. We told one group that was hunting the area hard where we got ours and only told them because they were working hard walking many km. into a valley with no success. Hope to hear form him soon as he should be back now. Snow conditions were not good untill you get half way to horse camp. But that might have changed now.
Waiting for my partner to post his story. Should be any day now.
Good luck Work hard and look for grassy meadows.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
will be up there too on the 19Th ....they are calling for snow for tomorrow hope we get lots

Caveman
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
i just got back from up there. It was very slow. snow conditions were terrible. Weather went from 10 degrees to -28 in a couple days. The bison moved with the weather change then nothing. I saw a total of four kill sights, only one being fresh. We talked to several groups are all were seeing little to nothing. They need some snow for sure, get off the beaten path

bc traper
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Are the natives still 4x4 ing up the valley

Caveman
12-12-2011, 10:32 PM
The old guy at the ranch had been out there

partner
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Do they have the cabins finished at the old runway?

ufishifish2
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Still haven't finished the ones at the ranch yet..............

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Do they have the cabins finished at the old runway?

hope there ready i have one rented for the 19th!!!

cas-has-cars
12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Cabins are fine about 4 old ones on the farm and 3 new ones there as well. Also we were offered to take one of the cabins at Horse Camp as they were good to go as well.
They keep 1 cabin open in case you get caught in the cold you can stop there and warm up.
And yes they did make a bit of a mess running the pickup to the horse camp meadow to look for bison. They had no luck when we were there. Wow they put that pickup through some rough going must be a company truck.
Brian

mooseless
12-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I am still here, not much snow, we got one at 3:30 today, we had to work for it! I am on my iPhone so I will not likely reply till I get home I a couple days. Good luck!

shawnwells
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
It snowed a couple inches in John town today

Caveman
12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I am still here, not much snow, we got one at 3:30 today, we had to work for it! I am on my iPhone so I will not likely reply till I get home I a couple days. Good luck!

Good Luck Grant! I was hoping to catch you before you went up but our trip was somewhat uneventful so nothing I could really tell you

mooseless
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM
It did not snow at pink mountain and is about -12

cas-has-cars
12-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Way to go Mooseless, Were you the two guys form Kamloops going around the ranch? Good for you for staying up there as long as you did. Anyone else getting there bison? What about the 6 old timers who went across the river with all their gear? Did they make it to the cabin at the back end.

Caveman
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Way to go Mooseless, Were you the two guys form Kamloops going around the ranch? Good for you for staying up there as long as you did. Anyone else getting there bison? What about the 6 old timers who went across the river with all their gear? Did they make it to the cabin at the back end.

That was me and a buddy from work. I was wondering if it was you we were talking to as well. The old guys all got accross the river, never saw them again. so I assume they made it

partner
12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
U talking about the river crossing way the heck out there. Past where the fenced research area is? That's where a lot of buffalo hang out. Last year a group o 6 went out there. They told us they go out there every year, spending at least a week! One crossing was a bitch a open spot about 3 feet deep. The other side 6 ft up or down depending on which way you are going. They where well prepared each sled towing a custom aluminum skimmer that looked like a skinny boat.

Caveman
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
U talking about the river crossing way the heck out there. Past where the fenced research area is? That's where a lot of buffalo hang out. Last year a group o 6 went out there. They told us they go out there every year, spending at least a week! One crossing was a bitch a open spot about 3 feet deep. The other side 6 ft up or down depending on which way you are going. They where well prepared each sled towing a custom aluminum skimmer that looked like a skinny boat.

Has to be the same bunch

cas-has-cars
12-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes the river crossing about 5 km or more past the fenced area. But not the crossing that goes to the Robertson creek rd, but the one that goes farther up the valley towards Todd lake. The Robertson rd can be accessed near pink mountian gas bar. That crossing over on the halfway river is near impossible and I don't think anyone has done it in years. If someone knows different let me know. The other crossing to Todd lake is much more tame but still challenging

afors
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
A couple of Photos of the roads from today. -18 tonight -8/10 during the day. No new snow... Hope this helps!
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2508.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2296.jpg

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
A couple of Photos of the roads from today. -18 tonight -8/10 during the day. No new snow... Hope this helps!
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2508.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2296.jpg

thanks for the picks looks good to go!!