PDA

View Full Version : 6-15 A Goat advice?

kitnayakwa77
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Got a draw for mountain goat in 6-15A north of Terrace. Have been out maybe 8 or 9 times since August and have seen lots of goats, including just missing one really nice billy at the end of October -went up the wrong draw but could smell him and see his tracks, thought he heard or winded me, but got back to the road and saw I went up the wrong ravine - he was still there but too late in the day to go back.

Since then - nothing now that the snow has fallen....the area I have been going back to (where the billy was ) is steep brushy cliffs, south facing at around 800-1000ft elevation, next to some old growth forest. Access is pretty tough to this spot now, was out on saturday and its a few hours bashing in there then tough to see them against snow and cliffs.

Anyone got any advice of good areas to hit in 6-15 A? At this time of year would they be down low or moving up again? I've seen them up a treeline before while out skiing in January.....should I focus high elevation now?

thanks for any advice.....

BCbillies
12-12-2011, 05:54 PM
They won't be down low for long as the rut is ending. Sounds to me like you know some spots . . . there simply just isn't a lot of easy goats out there, even in the good spots. In my experience January and February is tough to find a big billy but the days will be getting longer. On nice days they tend to be up high and on the not so good days they hunker in the timber and don't move much. If you know where they winter you can simply head up the timber (bring crampons) and hope to have a close encounter. On occasion the odd goat may be low . . . the one billy I took in February was right near the valley bottom. Just getting out there is half the battle. :)

kitnayakwa77
12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
thanks for the reply...sounds like I'll be skiing for em! Do you think they would be up high in sunny/outflow conditions (is this nice?) And blizzard/storms down in the timber?

BCbillies
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
You are correct in what is considered nice weather. . . but even in those outflow conditions with the sun out I've found it tough to locate the goats. They are often up high near the peaks feeding on the exposed grasses on the open ridges. The best chance for low goats with easy access in the winter is along the Rupert highway. My thinking is with the deep snow, rut over, energy levels down, etc the goats simply don't move like they do in the summer and fall.

gerrygoat
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree with BCbillies they can be real tough to find this time of year and the deep snow we have this year won't make it any easier. One good thing about fresh snow is you will be able to see their trails so even if you don't see them they won't be to far from that area. In February your chances should be a bit better in my opinion than now but there is no reason to stay home since you live here.

sherpa-Al
12-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Yup good advice here. There are quite a few good winter areas in that MU. Wait for your best days weather wise to hunt. A lot of energy and time can be wasted on a winter goat hunt if the weather is bad. The billies are worn out from the rut and the cold and as stated above won't move around very much, think feed. The longer, warmer February days are a good choice. Look for any exposed or wind swept rock areas with a south west exposure, especially late in the afternoon. Don't be afraid to look in the alpine areas for them at this time of year. The first goat I shot was on the very top of a wind swept peak at the end of January with outflow conditions, him and 25 of his closest buddies were up there feeding on the exposed, frozen liken. Be well prepared for a long day, bring a buddy and a headlamp!

Al.

yugo111
12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
good thread just in time I have the same area my plan is late Jan and Feb had a few buddys get them very low they never had any luck hunting them at this time but you never know late season is my opinion

la river
12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Great stuff!! I have same draw just further up the skeena!! Would u try with a bow? I would love to just not sure how close u could get this time of year and later!

kitnayakwa77
12-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys....hopefully will find a good one...