PDA

View Full Version : HANDHELD GPS FOR TRAPPING...wich one?

proguide66
12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Fellas , I have a gps on my boat but have actually NEVER used one on land..ever.
Whats the best/smallest and how accurate are they? If I set a snare then moved 20 ft and set another would it mark them and find them each easily? how about 10ft? I'm not familiar with them at all on land and have only used them to get on my hali spots.

How acurate are they on land? what would be the shortest distance between points for snares and finding them?

Jagermeister
12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Depends on how many satelites you are receiving at that location. More give a distance down to 3 meters, so if you're setting snares at 20' distances, it will not be much good because it is in the general area. But it will get you to the first one.

Singleshotneeded
12-12-2011, 10:02 AM
The Garmin 60 or 62 CSX is compact, reliable, and has a decent sized colour screen.
The batteries also last a good long time, especially if you use those Energizer lithiums.

bowhunterbruce
12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
hey steve,i picked up a garmin 62s along with the bc mapbooks micro chip last summer.it takes aa batteries and they would last between 12 to 16 hrs depending on how much i played with it.i was amazed first of all with the level of graphics first as your able to zoom right in to areas behond what your seeing in front of you.2ndly i always had between 9 and as many as 18 different sats pin pointing my location and when this many grab ya ,my location was narrowed down to as little as 6 ft.
absolutly the best investment i have ever made in the way of toys for the bush.i feel as though i can go anywhere now and not only get to where i want to go but be able to get back to where i want, no matter how many hills and valleys i check out along the way.

proguide66
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Is the Garmin the 'best' available? When it comes to equipment I'm not looking for 'deals' as quality is prefered fer sure.
Also , when it remembers your trail , how accurate would that be? say left or right of your original trail? That would keep my snares more easily found wouldnt it?
Funny , I have found such as last yr that I will set a 'shape' in a patch of thick bush for a 'half circle' ( example) of snares set and as well thinking it will easy to find them all at season end or when the snow is gone.
BUT , holy crap does eveything look 'different' when the snow melts resulting in lots of extra time.
As well , I will start my 'half circle' and get carried away as I will see a 'window' out of my shape with my head down 'givin er' resulting in an additional 6 er 10 snares out as well 'out' of me intended 'line'.
Anyway , time for a gps......( grandpa always said " a man who needs a GPS is WEAK",haha) sorry gramps..I'm finally weak I guess,haha...
Some guys will say ' what about flagging them'?..well , read an article about an alaskan trapper who used blue tape by his snares.He nailed 2 wolves then noticed the wolves went way around any piece of flagging tape along their route imediatly. Smart assed buggers!
I also thought of a small 'blaze' on the bark. BUT , that fresh bark scent would be accompanied with 'there's a snare here' real quick.
I have a pic of wolves smelling EVERY twig I snapped in front of my trail cam days after I snapped them. So I'm shy of blazing bark by each snare to.
GPS will be the only way.

Most of my 'spots' are re-used and easy to set/retrieve. The land owner with the dead buffalo has a bone pile in 15 to 20ft xmas trees wich cover a patch maybe 75 yrds sguare...and not much snow. Makes it REAL easy to get carried away setting while in there and hardto find in the spring....meanwhile the bone pile gets hit by numerous predators in the spring and grizzly's arent far off...want to avoid grieff.

Singleshotneeded
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Garmin is the best, and either an old 60csx you find still for sale, or it's successor the 62, will do a great job.
The 62 doesn't have any significant improvements over the 60csx, so if you come across a deal on the 60csx,
go for it.

tomahawk
12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Garmin is the leader, there are a few really good ones for you. Make sure its water proof whatever you get and accuracy is not down to feet yet but pretty close. I have the Garmin Oregon with BC Backroads map and love it. Found many ponds and lakes and meadows i did not know existed just out of sight of the trials and fsr's.

brian
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I have an older garmin 60c, which is great unit. It has a decent antennae strength, good battery life, and is durable. I can only imagine the newer generations are better. It gets between 3m-9m in heavy timber depending on conditions.

boxhitch
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Most GPS units give an indication of current accuracy that seems to vary between 2 and 7 m. depending on several conditions.

Maybe a note taking and map drawing regime would suit you better.
Set in pairs, always an even number at a site, 10 20 or 30
Do the map sketch before leaving the site, don't trust memory.
Its frustrating wandering around looking for lost sets.

yama49
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a garmin 530hcx, not cheap but has a radio in it also.

Jagermeister
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
The Garmin 60 or 62 CSX is compact, reliable, and has a decent sized colour screen.
The batteries also last a good long time, especially if you use those Energizer lithiums.

You should know that Garmin do not encourage the use of lithium batteries in their GPS's and especially the 60csx

Str8shooterbc
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
What he said.

hey steve,i picked up a garmin 62s along with the bc mapbooks micro chip last summer.it takes aa batteries and they would last between 12 to 16 hrs depending on how much i played with it.i was amazed first of all with the level of graphics first as your able to zoom right in to areas behond what your seeing in front of you.2ndly i always had between 9 and as many as 18 different sats pin pointing my location and when this many grab ya ,my location was narrowed down to as little as 6 ft.
absolutly the best investment i have ever made in the way of toys for the bush.i feel as though i can go anywhere now and not only get to where i want to go but be able to get back to where i want, no matter how many hills and valleys i check out along the way.

hellojello74
12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I got the garmin oregon 450t, it works good, one thing to notice once you start to get into the higher end ones, its becomes more about the accesories and they "seem" (to a regular guy) to have the same internals just things like radios, cameras, 5 battery levels instead of 3, but all pretty much work the same... food for thought

oldkoot
12-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Some guys I know use coloured clothes pins or those plastic push pins to mark their snares. Of course using gloves for scent control.