PDA

View Full Version : McGregor River How far without a jet boat?

emerson
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Looking at this area for a combo truck+boat hunt if all the BIL+bros show up at the same time next fall. How is the boat access with a regular O/B? I read the post about blinds/step ladders etc, that sounds doable. Was anyone in there this fall? How did it go? I saw the flood pics on another thread.

emerson
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Not many boat hunters here? Or no "secret spot" info?

tomahawk
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Getting a smaller o/b boat onto the MacGregor is easy, there is a launch near where the river runs into the Fraser. Can't give any latest updates as i havent been on the river for a few years now.

trebreklaw
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Walker Creek rd into McGregor is a jet boat only area except when the river is running like in the pics 2 yrs ago.
Was in there this yr but left early due to the washout concerns as it started raining hard. got cow and calf
That area is mostly boating but some ppl do find moose crossing road.

Noticed a pile of new culverts near the Sande rd turn off. Wonder if there is going to be some new logging soon? Or are they going to fix Sande ?

Until more cut blocks or roads are opened up there is not a lot of road hunting opportunities

emerson
12-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Got a 18' o/b jet boat now! Ran the Bowron this late Oct about 12km upstream from the Fraser without issues. Can I expect to access 7-18 via the McGregor River around the same time next year. Making plans for draws etc... PM if you would rather. Thanks

trebreklaw
12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Hunted McGregor for 25 yrs with jet boat. I hunted from Einar creek and boated about 20 kms up and downfrom there .Usually in the first 3 weeks of October. Had lots of good times and sucess. But water levels can change fast (heavy rains) and some years low water or log jams restrict access it also can freeze up real fast. I have moved to Terrace so probably will not be back as the Dease is much closer
. Have fun

emerson
12-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Hunted McGregor for 25 yrs with jet boat. I hunted from Einar creek and boated about 20 kms up and downfrom there .Usually in the first 3 weeks of October. Had lots of good times and sucess. But water levels can change fast (heavy rains) and some years low water or log jams restrict access it also can freeze up real fast. I have moved to Terrace so probably will not be back as the Dease is much closer
. Have fun
If there isn't any success in our draw next year I may be up there too.

nap
12-08-2013, 12:50 AM
All should be good. I have ran the upper mcgregor as late as holloween day, that river can change without warning and be unforgiving. If you run it late in the year make sure some one knows where you are and having two boats would be a great idea.

emerson
12-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Google fu has filled in some gaps with text and pics. Seems like a good fit for my situation next fall if a draw comes through. Now to wait for spring to drive and boat for a looksee.