PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant to end the hunting...

bosca
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Every year I kind of go through a minny depression at the thought of the hunting season being done. Not that I don't have other reasons for getting out...The family downhill skis and I like to get out on the snow shoes and cross country skis but there is something unique about having a rifle strapped to your back and a singular focus of hunting something down to enjoy as a meal later on.

I have this great eberlestock pack with a built in scabord and I was thinking about taking out the cross country skis, the 22 and going 'wabbit' hunting. I have tried once many years back with the rifle strapped diagonally across my back but it wasn't ideal....besides I did not find any rabbits. I want to give it another shot.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start? Feel free to be as specific or 'vague' as you wish. I am just looking for a place to start. I live in the kamloops area...Also PM me if you like.

Are rabbits any good to eat this time of year?

Any comments are appreciated.

Morel
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I am in the same boat and was thinking that heading out on skis with the .22 would be fun. In a previous thread "how many hunters are after rabbits" Mr. Dean suggested to head out on the roads the last couple of hours of light like you were hunting grouse.

Grousedaddy
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Go up oconnor lake off westside road , i shot a couple rabbits up there this year but i seen hundreds!! Early morning first light they were all over the roads my advice is have the rifle in hand ready to go cause they are fast amd spook easy good luck

killer_shot
12-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I feel you brother, i was just thinking to my self "I feel undirected in life now that hunting season is over, LOL." Guess its just easier to define what you have to do when you know how many points your looking for.

As for rabbits i dont know about around kamloops but i have tried to hunt them in the east kootenays with the first snow. I did not have any success from in the truck as they were always to skitish and ran before i could get a shot off.
I do know that it will be easy for you to know if your in a good spot as they're tracks will be highly visible. I know if it was me id spend the few hours before dark finding the highest concentration of tracks then stalk those areas just before dark. I dont know why they come out like 15min before black but they do and lots of them too. then as it hits black its like they are gone again.
good luck