PDA

View Full Version : anybody been elk LEHing yet..

bear buster
12-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Been to busy working but going to head out next weekend, just wondering if anyone else has been out? Was looking at map for 7-20A and seen that it is open for ALL crown land in 7-20A, no more 2000m buffer zone from private onto crown, been a few years since I had late elk draw, good to know with the lack of snow(less than 6 inches in most spots) and very mild temp. With all the good food still holding alot of elk in bush, seeing few while out working. and most farmers are not seeing them yet, gives me a good reason(not that I need one) to head out and put some miles on the boots.

pronghorn
12-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Well if you find them tie one up for me LOL,good luck

elkdom
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
as of yesterday 5pm, the butcher in Pouce Coupe has had ONE elk (under late hunt LEH zone7-20a)come in since the first of Dec2011,

last year during this same time frame about 20 zone 7-20a LEH Elk came in for butchering/hanging,,

the butcher in Dawson Creek closed his shop in October for the rest of this winter,

the elk have not been forced to seek domestic feed at this point, there is still more than ample feed available in the bush, a lack of deep snow and cold weather has not helped so far,,,,,,,,,,

Kalum
12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Not yet bu we're headed up next weekend to visit the outlaw's. Christmas came early when I was lucky enough to get the Dec leh cow draw. It'll be nice to break up visiting family with some hunting. Sounds like we'll have to get back into the hills though to find them.

Rhyno
12-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I am trying to be patient as I only have one opportunity to make the trip. Hope the weather gets cold and snowy, its gonna be late Jan for me. I am looking forward to hearing about some success, Good Luck!

birchboy
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Guys,I also have a tag for elk up there but does anyone know if there are lists of farmers who want hunters to get rid of some elk.I know a few years ago there was some coordination between the ministry and the farmers and then they stopped it.I am sure lots of guys have the problem of not really knowing where to go as it is such a big area and to be honest the only elk i have ever seen in the wild were by the Sikanni and Jasper.My sister lives in FSJ so she is trying to see if she hears anything about problem elk.This is the first year in 20 years the bottom of the freezer could come into view if an elk isn't in the cards,Thanks,Birchboy