PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Garbage Deer

snowhunter
12-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Most locals in Princeton despise the local, so called "Garbage Deer" so much that they will not hunt them, let alone eat them.

This healthy sized Princeton deer herd, like the raven, gulls and rats, scavenge and eat from the smorgas board of all kinds of protein and leftovers of what humans throw out daily at this local, Princeton garbage dump.

Are the Princetonians to fuzzy for not hunting these "Garbage Deer", or could it really be dangerous to consume these garbage eating, blacktail deer ?

There most be other places where deer gets the hang and taste of the local, "Fast Food" garbage dumps ?

Well, I pass on hunting these, otherwise well feed deer :)

SimilkameenSlayer
12-11-2011, 08:28 AM
welcome to the forum - peace.

i would eat road kill, if i was starving.

snowhunter
12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1-lb-of-hunters-reserve-roadkill-summer-sausage.aspx?a=898553

you are not alone :)

Ddog
12-11-2011, 10:53 AM
they are Mule deer, not blacktail. (technically)
there would be nothing wrong with eating them but would also sound funny saying "ya i shot it at the dump" keep in mind that the deer are herbivores and are eating the veggie scraps and such unlike the bear that would eat the rotting garbage meats.
and i am 100% not sure what you mean by: Are the Princetonians to fuzzy for not hunting these "Garbage Deer".

betteroffishing
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
i believe he meant " fussy "

CanuckShooter
12-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Best to leave them for the LMLders.....how much sport is there in popping them at the dump???

John P
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Best to leave them for the LMLders.....how much sport is there in popping them at the dump???

Ouch!!! that almost sounds racisit lol were not all bad

CanuckShooter
12-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Ouch!!! that almost sounds racisit lol were not all bad

Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades....;-)

Deer_Slayer
12-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Lower Mainlanders are just as avid outdoorsmen as you yocals! Don't be so sure that a deer you shoot 20 - 30 miles away hasn't also fed on human scraps left at a campsite or at a dump then wandered back into the sticks. Bears may feed at a dump then wander 50 miles away when you shoot them eating on a nice grassy slope.

snowhunter
12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
One of my hunters partners did bag one of these Princeton "Garbage Deer", and he told me that it tasted really good. I guess the deer was already "well marinated" from all the flavourful goodies of leftover food garbage etc etc, the deer found and ate at the dump ? The stomach contens of that deer was different that the usual veggie stuff.

Also, another reasons for Princetonian hunters do not hunt these "Garbage deer", is that most of them do have a year round knowledge of the deer whereabouts, which comes comes in handy when hunting season opens, as well as pointed out earlier: Nothing much to brag about for shooting a deer on its way to feed at the dump ?

cloverphil
12-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I can't speak for other hunters but I don't usually cut open a stomach to see what a deer I'm gutting has been eating

kennyj
12-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I can't speak for other hunters but I don't usually cut open a stomach to see what a deer I'm gutting has been eating
I usually cut open the stomach on the first one to see what to use for bait. Oh wait, thats fish.
kenny

Iron Glove
12-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Every time we go for a ride or a hike around Tulameen the wife always says "ya didn't bring yer rifle did ya ??" whenever we see a deer.
I guess I'll get the same now when we take a trailer load to the Princeton dump. :)

tash
12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Just because deer are herbivores doesn't mean they won't eat other types of "food".
Like Marysville deer being seen carrying around and eating from diapers....no thank you.

I actually do cut open a deer's stomach to see what they were eating, and I also will bring home the stomach lining (tripe) for the dog.

CanuckShooter
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
If you eat a garbage deer, you have no taste. ;-)

Phreddy
12-11-2011, 02:12 PM
While I'm not all that fussy about mule deer, I'll take one when out and about for some of the needy families in our area. That being said, I won't shoot a "garbage dump deer" for two reasons. One is that you never know what chemicals or worm eggs it's picked up while feating and Two the dump is not in a shooting area.

snowhunter
12-11-2011, 03:40 PM
The Princeton dump is within the city limits, therefore no hunting. However, the shooting range is just behind the next old sink hole, and Crown Land and Private Land with hunting by permission is very close to the dump. Usually, a herd of these local deer hang around the shooting range, and who after years of shooting at this target range, are also so deaf or ignorant, that they are no longer bothered by the shooting at this range, and sometimes, one has to wait for these critters to walk away from the line of fire, before puling the trigger at the target, and even so, when shooting several bullet few yards past their heads, often does not bother or affects them in any way.

ufishifish2
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
People certainly hunt the Princeton deer. I work there often and stay in a local Motel. I have noticed in the last five years that there are often a couple ok sized bucks walking around town until hunting season hits. After that they just seem to disappear and never return the following year. It is common to see the odd dink walking around with the does and fawns though!

woodsman
12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
A slam against a lot of lower mainlanders. I am a lower mainlander and pride myself in being a good honest sportsman. There are good and bad hunters everywhere. Fortunately the good ones BY FAR outnumber the bad ones. I only slam dunk those who deserve it. Other than that, I agree with you that popping them at a dump is not sportsmanship.

KB90
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Just because deer are herbivores doesn't mean they won't eat other types of "food".
Like Marysville deer being seen carrying around and eating from diapers....no thank you.

I actually do cut open a deer's stomach to see what they were eating, and I also will bring home the stomach lining (tripe) for the dog.

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

sawmill
12-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Yup,I`ve seen that.They actually put in a cattle gaurd to keep them out of the dump but they still wander the streets on garbage day,ripping open bags.

dino
12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Funny thing is that all the small towns in this province love the LML'ers, we get treated like gold. We are always in a good mood because its usually our holidays and we spend lots of LML cash. Its the local hunters that have issue with the competion.

CanuckShooter
12-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I don't think they mind you hunting deer at the Princeton Garbage dump at all...;-)

Phreddy
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
The Princeton dump is within the city limits, therefore no hunting. However, the shooting range is just behind the next old sink hole, and Crown Land and Private Land with hunting by permission is very close to the dump. Usually, a herd of these local deer hang around the shooting range, and who after years of shooting at this target range, are also so deaf or ignorant, that they are no longer bothered by the shooting at this range, and sometimes, one has to wait for these critters to walk away from the line of fire, before puling the trigger at the target, and even so, when shooting several bullet few yards past their heads, often does not bother or affects them in any way.

I'm a member at that range and remember posting a thread regarding some crap head who gut shot a doe and left her lying at the firing line to suffer. ended up calling the CO to come put her out of her misery. I would have done it myself but didn't want to get set up for a charge.

snowhunter
12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Even though about 3500 hunters hunt around Princeton every year, I seen little or no competetion from LML'ers to the local Princetonian hunters, for whom of some of them has the "upper hand" with a year round knowledge of deer and elk movements, in regards to hunting around Princeton and uplands. The biggest competetions for LML'ders' hunters comes from other LML'ders', who all hang around Tulameen ? The LML'der hunter far outnumbers the local Princetonian hunters around Princeton, who are as pointed out earlier, also are a great source of income for the local economy.