PDA

View Full Version : Mulie tag soup for me

fireguy
12-11-2011, 03:25 AM
My mulie season is now over, ended with an nice archery hunt but only saw does on the closing day, 43 of them not counting the urban deer. Also ran into 3 whitetail does and a non-typical whitetail spike but I still have some time to hunt them so they all got a pass.

In all the hunting I did this year I only ran into one possible shooter buck and the rest were small 4 points or 2 points that I wasn't interested in taking.

Anyone else eating their mulie tag this year, and by choice or because you didn't see anything?

hunter1947
12-11-2011, 03:37 AM
I saw no MD bucks worth taking during the GOS season I also got an unclipped tag..

cainer
12-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Yep... Got a whole bunch of tags I didn't slice up. Got a couple of deer though so I'm happy. I'd be happier if I had a moose and an elk in the freezer too. Maybe next year. Really I just buy all the tags just in case- no what I mean.

dave_fras
12-11-2011, 08:59 AM
i passed up some nice region 8 bucks... nothin over 165 tho.... i came close on a few big buggers too... but i couldnt get closer than 70 yards with my bow... and the big boy i was after on some private property got shot from some prick with a rifle that wasnt allowed to hunt on the property!! i did get a neat looking 6x4 with my bow in region 3 tho

keithb7
12-11-2011, 11:01 AM
My first year hunting. I saw about 150 does. 15 to 17 or so trips out. Many were from an hour before sunrise to an hour after. Saw one large Mulie that was legal in Nov but he got away
without a shot fired. Can't honestly remember seeing many bucks at all. May 2 or 3 tops. Pulled a marathon day yesterday and saw 20 does and 4 grouse. For all that time, and new gear I
have 1 grouse to show for it! I did have a great time, and learned a lot. I look forward to next year. Mulie, and whitey tag soup for me! Time now for stage 2, vermint!

Fisher-Dude
12-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I ran out of tags in October. But, this year I didn't hold out for a bigger November stink buck because family, club, and work commitments were going to eat up most of my weekends.

Fireguy, you should have stuck a WT doe, and there would be a mule deer buck in her place next year! :wink:

300H&H
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I ate my MD tag with a little salt & pepper....just like last year. :?

frenchbar
12-11-2011, 12:09 PM
ive had the big bowl a soup for the last 3 yrs...

upcomer
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
no shame in tag soup. This is my second season and so far I've filled a tag both years. That being said, my biggest buck to date is only a 2 point...

Darksith
12-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Im in the same boat, didn't cut 1 tag this year...too bad but my opportunities were few and far between, and once the freezer is full of half a moose from a friends tag then Im only hunting trophies, and my feet didn't touch the ground nearly enough this year to be depressed about not finding 1.

pnbrock
12-11-2011, 12:53 PM
i also ate a tag not from a lack of bucks just wanted a monster this year and stuck to guns till last minute .this doesnt make me feel like i failed just more excited for next year.

mark
12-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Remember this guy Fireguy......my buddy poked him just before the closer.....this buck may just have the thinnest antlers Ive seen in a while....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/../photos/data/500/kenny_buck_003_Small_.jpg

Myself.....I cut 2 muley tags this year......

fireguy
12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Remember this guy Fireguy......my buddy poked him just before the closer.....this buck may just have the thinnest antlers Ive seen in a while....

Not the same one, but a 3 X 4 none the less. I let this guy go 3 times this year.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/IMG-20110918-000701.jpg

fireguy
12-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I ran out of tags in October. But, this year I didn't hold out for a bigger November stink buck because family, club, and work commitments were going to eat up most of my weekends.

Fireguy, you should have stuck a WT doe, and there would be a mule deer buck in her place next year! :wink:

I still have 9 days to shoot a WT doe

mark
12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I stand corrected! I didnt dig up the thread, just went by memory, and it sure fir the profile and location!

Gunner Staal
12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Soup for me! Passed on smaller bucks during rifle season and had my chances during bow. Just didn't come together. Had a 30 minute cat and mouse with a 4 point yesterday who decided to bed down right in the middle of the main quad trail in. Only 4 I saw during bow. It was really tough conditions for spot and stalk with the snow being as crunchy as it was. Just didn't have the big guy wander under the stand. Ah well. Next year it is. Congrats to those who were succesfull this year.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Worst season ever for me...but then again it was the most days stuck at work, too.

Conditions for the archery season couldn't get much worse...unless the crunchy snow went right down to lake level.

Still trying to take my vengence out on 2 whities but they're not cooperatiing either...so far.
If I don't get kill a whitey, I'll kill a little fir tree on my way home....but it's gonna taste like shite.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Was that buck super tall and narrow?? Saw one like that on the way down from hunting right in town @5:45 pm. Couldn't tell what it had for points but he was unique looking.

SSS

mrhappygolucky
12-11-2011, 03:04 PM
got all my deer tags still....no mulie bucks in region 8 where i was..only little bucks and does....very disappointing season...although i did notice an abundance of grouse!

mark
12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Was that buck super tall and narrow?? Saw one like that on the way down from hunting right in town @5:45 pm. Couldn't tell what it had for points but he was unique looking.

SSS

http://www.huntingbc.ca/../photos/data/500/kenny_buck_002_Small_.jpg

I would certainly consider him tall and narrow, but not very unique.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
The buck I saw looked like as huge deuce...but as I said I couldn't tell for sure.
I think he was narrower than your bud's buck.
SSS

showtimebc
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I saw over 150 bucks this year. Probably about 20 four point bucks and only 1 that got me excited. Luckily we were able to connect and my hunting partner was able to knock him down. Ready for a break, put many miles on the boots, but looking forward to 2012 already!

huntcoop
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
...I let this guy go 3 times this year.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/IMG-20110918-000701.jpg

No way in hell I'd let him walk away once let alone 3 times.

dana
12-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Muley buck tag soup for me as well. Don't care as I have the freezer full with 4 deer and a moose. Had a blast right till the end. Played with the largest buck I could find this past week with only a hour or so to spare yesterday. Some tense moments but he was able to outsmart me. Came out of the bush laughin' and was happy to finish the season with a worthy opponant beating me.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
It sucks :/ Could have shot a couple spikes/ 2 pionts but i was holding out for something bigger atleast i''ve got a whitie down! And a trip coming up to the koots! take care-
BCDH

JDR
12-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Tag soup for me as well for mulies. Saw some decent bucks, but nothing that interested me. Seemed to be a slow year as far as legal buck sightings, but did see lots of little guys. Was still fun, hopefully better luck next year.

hunter1993ap
12-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Muley buck tag soup for me as well. Don't care as I have the freezer full with 4 deer and a moose. Had a blast right till the end. Played with the largest buck I could find this past week with only a hour or so to spare yesterday. Some tense moments but he was able to outsmart me. Came out of the bush laughin' and was happy to finish the season with a worthy opponant beating me.
darn i thought i would see another good muley this year. that happened to me many times this season asd whell. those big muleys are cagey!!!

coach
12-11-2011, 11:22 PM
IMO - holding out for a big one from September 1 to December 10 and finishing the season with tag soup is something to be proud of. It takes incredible discipline to hold off when you are seeing legal bucks most times out. Personally, I like eating deer meat way too much to be that patient. Next year, there will be three more tagholders in my family (daughter, GF and her son). My plan going forward will be to help them put meat in the freezer and start my own apprenticeship as a trophy hunter. Nowhere is it written that a trophy needs to be killed every season - that's what makes connecting on a booner so special (allegedly). Reading your posts this fall, I'm betting you enjoyed every minute of the 2011 mule deer season, Fireguy. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do in 2012.

coach
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Is there a second story I missed?

coach
12-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Muley buck tag soup for me as well... Came out of the bush laughin' and was happy to finish the season with a worthy opponent beating me.

What a great statement!

danno74
12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Yup, mulie tag soup for me as well. Too much work and not enough time in the woods. At least I still have my cow elk tag for January and a wife that can put some meat in the freezer.

ufishifish2
12-12-2011, 07:35 AM
It was the craziest season I have ever had. Working in the bush 5 days a week and even including the whitie doe season I still only saw 1 legal deer. It's a small 4 point mulie now resting in my freezer. As for whities, I almost always have tag soup! Pretty low success rate around here hunting for them!

Brian011
12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I was lucky enough to find a good buck 1/2 hour into my season this year, since then Ive been chasing mulies around every weekend and have seen a lot of buck and saw quite a few 4 points that I passed up. It wasn't until the last day that I pulled the trigger on another one but I ended up not connecting and he got away. Can't wait till next year.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
IMO - holding out for a big one from September 1 to December 10 and finishing the season with tag soup is something to be proud of. It takes incredible discipline to hold off when you are seeing legal bucks most times out. Personally, I like eating deer meat way too much to be that patient. Next year, there will be three more tagholders in my family (daughter, GF and her son). My plan going forward will be to help them put meat in the freezer and start my own apprenticeship as a trophy hunter. Nowhere is it written that a trophy needs to be killed every season - that's what makes connecting on a booner so special (allegedly). Reading your posts this fall, I'm betting you enjoyed every minute of the 2011 mule deer season, Fireguy. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do in 2012.
Well said coach :D

fireguy
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM

I did enjoy my hunting season this year, saw lots of deer, not that many bucks but enough legal ones that I could have tagged out easy. I even hunted the whole season with my crossbow just to make it a little harder and could have taken at least 75% of the bucks I saw with it as I was able to get close enough. I didn't even let myself get tempted on a small 4 point in archery season that I was able to get to 35 yards when I knew the season was winding down. With the small guys I let go this year I am hoping there will be some bigger ones next year to play with.

coach
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a hell of a season, Fireguy.

Marlin375
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Not so much like soup...more like a stew, with a Griz tag, an Elk tag, a Moose tag, and a Muley tag.
Connecting with a White Tail before the 20th will be more than just a little redeeming.
The freezer is full so starving is not an issue, just too much work and not enough time in the trees.
...thinking about booking the whole 2012 season off next year to make up for 2011.

Dirt Road King
12-19-2011, 06:16 PM
i have seen the tall and narrow one.....very nice buck but not many points. was a 2x2 in september but looked much bigger

LeverActionJunkie
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
First year in a while I've tried tag soup:) Always next year I guess.

3mk
12-21-2011, 09:08 PM
my frist year hunting tag soup eh what about the full mag same 4 bulits all season?:twisted:

Rattler
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Three years in a row now. I have been holding out for a 170 class buck and have yet to close the deal. This year was a lot harder with only one 150 class buck passed up. Only saw four 4 points this year after covering a ton of country.