PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Archery mule deer

uraarchr
12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
The alarm clock went off at 4:00 am.I was tired and wanted to sleep but forced myself out of bed.Once out of the scent free shower I was raring to go.Outside I was greeted by a clear star filled sky and -10 degrees. I fired up the diesel and sped to the top of the mountain.The snow crunched loudly under my feet as I hiked into the area I had chosen.I set up my blind and lit the propane heater.In minutes the hand and foot warmers were hot on my feet, lower back and knees.I waited in the darkness eagerly anticipating and hoping to see the huge muley I had seen last week.I heard the squirrels chattering at first light and then all went quiet.Ten minutes later I heard the crunch of snow as a buck appeared 20 ft from the blind. A fat 1x2 with droptine.I turned and the snow crunched under my feet.The buck froze .....and then continiued on his way around the deadfall my blind was hidden in.I was shaking as he went by at just over 5 feet.The buck turned and made his way around and then pausedand in one smooth motion I drew my bow and released.The arrow sped through the buck at 300 fps and buried itself in the bank.The buck continiued his walk up the hill for a ways and then stopped behind some trees.I waited an unbearable twenty minutes and then started to follow the very visible blood trail.I found the buck bedded less than 100 yards from the blind ;head nodding.He stood up and started walking slowly away and I quickly sent another arrow into his side.After another half hour I resumed on the heavy blood trail to find my deer.I stood for a few minutes and admired my trophy and then began the work.

upcomer
12-10-2011, 04:19 PM
good job sounds like a cool story. Where are the visuals!

uraarchr
12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
What r visuals? ha ha just kidding!Will try to post pics later.

peashooter
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Didn't happen……..........without pics. Lol. Great read though

uraarchr
12-10-2011, 11:41 PM
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg356/huntpic2008/P1020808.jpg

bowhunterbruce
12-11-2011, 08:08 AM
and another okanagan buck bites the dust.wait ta go dude.
bhb

bruin
12-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Very nice, congrats

uraarchr
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I saw a huge buck the weekend before when in the blind with my son.This was my last day out(mulie) so I went for the small buck and didnt wait for the big one.The meats prob better anyway.Thats the blood trail I'm kneeling in!SLICK TRICKS!!! Maybe a day off(work is slw now) for WT with the bow.

Mik
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Awesome, way to go. Maybe one day you'll have to show me your secret spot :) Congrats

greybark
12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey Uraarchr , congratulations for the deer and great photo and story . I really like the "I lit the propane heater part" .
Cheers

uraarchr
12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Mik you prob know my "secret" spot!Greybark-Im getting colder as i get older.Dry boots with foot warmers inside and on hands and lower back and now I just have to figure out how to get a 40" and sat dish in the blind:who needs cold hands guttin a deer when you can just watch it done on "wildTV".A waitress wouldnt be bad either

Bow Walker
12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Congrats on a nice deer. The story bring back a lot of memories (and shivers). Gotta be comfortable to have a lot of patience.

Good for you.

lovemywinchester
12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice buck. I would love to get that close to one before the end of the season. Great job on the recovery. I heard only 1 in 10 archery bucks are recovered. Maybe I will start a thread on that. Enjoy the steaks!

Gumsehwah
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg356/huntpic2008/P1020808.jpg

Good bloodtrail. . . can't miss THAT one. :-D

tomahawk
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Congrats, great blood trail!!

uraarchr
12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
If my record was 1 in 10 I would give up archery hunting.If my record was 5 for 10 I would give up archery hunting.If my record was 7 for 10 I would consider giving up archery hunting.Ive had two good opportunities to arrow an elk;one beyond my archery hunting comfort zone distance(not my target shooting dist) and the other 28 yds but couldnt see thru my SMALL peep good.I didnt take the shots.Thousands of dollars and a year for each trip dreaming all year of taking an elk and eating elk meat.I now have a bigger peep and practice MUCH more and could make those shots but at the time the thought of ruining a chance at an elk for me or someone else just stopped me from releasing an arrow on a marginal shot.Yes I kicked myself all the next year but maybe a gutshot elk would not have been found.Maybe some guy had the incredible hunt of a lifetime and bagged that bull;or better yet maybe my son will take it next fall on his first hunt!!!

moose2
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Good story and a nice buck congrats on your bow buck.
Mike

fusion
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
A fine buck. Its amazing to me how a pointy stick takes down an animal so efficiently. I just might need to start taking up archery hunting. Certainly prolongs the season.