PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? coyote howling

khamilton
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
So I went out last night on the powerlines near home, set my foxpro to coyote locator and got a pretty good response from not too far off. I went out this morning, set up so I was well hidden but could see still. I set the caller to snowshoe in distress on low volume, let it go for 30 sec each time about 5 mins apart. Then a yote yipped and howled to my left within 1 km, then a pack of them a little farther to my right lets loose. What doI do at this point? I carried on with the snowshoe sounds, then a pack of deer came running out on the powerlines. I sat for about 15 mins, then a powerline crew came along! Game over at that point. But if they're howling, what sounds would you use?

ROEBUCK
12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
challenge howl
female coyote howl

khamilton
12-10-2011, 10:45 AM
thanks! what volume would you use?

ROEBUCK
12-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Trial and error
start of low and increase vollume if no answer
be patient minimum 20 mins on yote stand
have the wind at your back

Fullcurled4point
12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
first off theres no breeding happening right now so coyotes are not looking for mates so a female call may or may not work.....you need to sound like you are ok with other dogs coming to so see what you killed. A invitation howl....ooorr a greeting howl will work well usually in this situation. As ROEBUCK says just experiment a little with it....Hert pup is allllwaaayss a good bet ttoo!

Str8shooterbc
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
One of the mistakes hunters make when calling is to over call, too long and frequently. Also Coyotes aren't stupid, far from it. If the Yote has been called before and shot at it is less likely to be fooled again. Just cause it is answering a howl that doesn't mean it is willing to come in.

khamilton
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I went out to a different spot this afternoon, set the foxpro to coyote locator. Literally had coyotes howling in every direction. So I switched it to female coyote bark/howl, played it once and sat there. about 10 mins later 2 coyotes came in. the first one i didn't even see until it had been close to the caller and then was headed out! I couldn't get a good shot at them but they did stop when I barked. Also saw 5 sets of wolf tracks too, not any older than one week.

ROEBUCK
12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
allways had lots of coyotes come in with female howls and chalenge howls

LeverActionJunkie
12-10-2011, 08:20 PM
challenge howl
female coyote howl

+1 I would use either of these or coyote pair or yipping coyotes, something like that see if you get another response. Last week when I got a second response I went to coyote pup distress and got a young female chargeing in right away. Same routine couple days later and had another come charging in for my buddy to drop. Both times coyotes took about 1.5 min after switching to pup dist to show up :)

Best of luck.