PDA

View Full Version : Archery Buck

Busterbrown
12-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I headed up to the Princeton area a couple of days before my partner was to arrive for our annual archery trip. I had passed on a couple of bucks in the late rifle season as I did not want to be tagged out when the bow season arrived. Figured I could take the first couple days getting a feel for deer movement before he arrived. It did not work out as planned.
I arrived in camp about 14:00 and was in a hurry to unload the quad and start lookin. As I was travelling between two of our honey holes I see a couple of does standing on a hillside staring at me. However they continued to look back over their shoulder behind them. This was enough to make me stop and wait for what ever was on the other side. That is when this guy pops his head up from the other side of the bank. He had no idea I was there . His head was level with the ground and had the big lip curl going on.
It turns out there were 5 other does with him as well as two smaller bucks. I found a spot where I could get closer to them and began the stock. I managed to get to with-in 40 yds and while I was fumblin around for my range finder ,the does began to leave over the hill. I knew I had to shoot now or the buck was gone. Lined up pulled the trigger and shot under the deer.
Panic then begins to set in so I find my range finder and begin to crawl up to the top of the knoll to see where they went. When peeping over the top all the deer where standing there oblivious to me . I quickly ranged him at 26 yds and let her fly.
I could hear the arrow hit him but did not see it, he jumped in the air and bolted down the hill into the nastiest deadfall imaginable.
When arriving where the deer was standing I could see no blood and because of the number of tracks I had no idea which were his.At this point doubts about the shot placement began to creep in.
I waited about 15 minutes then began the grid search of the immediate area. I found the first sign of blood 35 yards from the hit location. The blood trail quickly turned into and path about 2 feet wide and was real easy to follow in the snow. He was piled up about 30 yards futher. The shot was a little high but did go through both lungs
As I was by myself and losing daylite I quickly found a path that I could clear to get my Grizzly close After cleaning the buck getting him loaded was a chore. I had him back to camp by 1900 .
As the temp was -10 I decided to leave the hide on him to prevent from freezing. It didn`t work. The thing was nearly frozen solid the next day.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc9/Busterbrown_08/PrinctonHunting042.jpg

mrhappygolucky
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
good job..! nice buck

cainer
12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Sucks when they freeze up like that. Makes everything just that much more difficult. Good job on the archery buck though!

Bow Walker
12-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Many times, when hit through the lungs, the blood trail won't appear until a good 20 - 30 yards away. Especially if the entry and exit holes aren't that big. It takes a couple of seconds for the blood to collect, pool and exit the animal through those relatively small holes........and we all know how far a deer can travel in a few short seconds - especially when startled.

Nice looking deer there. Congrats. Getting his clothes off is gonna be some work though.

moose2
12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
great looking buck and good story congrats on the bow buck.
Mike

12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Cool Experience for you and congrats !

Nice archery buck..

CT

uraarchr
12-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Nice buck with a bow!

kennyj
12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Great buck. Sounds pretty exciting.
kenny

tomahawk
12-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Nothing better when it comes to hunting then an archery kill!! Way to go!!

matt420
12-10-2011, 11:10 PM
great job! congrats on a nice lookin buck

hunter1947
12-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Dandy deer you got with the bow ,congrats..

kayjayess
12-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Nice job. Great looking mule deer

Knute
12-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Sweet, nice looking mulwy ;)

fearnodeer
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like an exciting hunt , congats.

bruin
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
..............Nice!!!!!