PDA

View Full Version : very young hunter

Shop Lord
09-29-2006, 09:27 PM
I've got a 6 year old cousin in law who is super excited about hunting. I have been hunting for 18 years and have shown new hunters how to hunt but never anyone so young. Neither of his parents hunt or fish but I have been given the go ahead to take him out. He's a pretty young 6 year old and is full of energy but I can't wait for him to start shooting. I have a pellet gun with his name on it and if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Steeleco
09-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Go slow and make things fun, even on the slow days. Kids can get bored or distracted real easy. My son is now 10 and it's got so I can't go out without him. I made it about seeing animals and not so much about shooting them! Also be VERY firm with the rules but fair as well, he'll respect you and look up to you all the more.

I've balled my son out once in the house for breaking the no touch rule, it hurts making them cry but some lessons only need to be taught once. I'm pretty sure even at this age he won't be making any stupid mistakes.

overthetop
09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
I made my kid carry an unloaded rifle for the first year and watched his muzzle controll very closely.

PGKris
09-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I made my kid carry an unloaded rifle for the first year and watched his muzzle controll very closely.

That's what my dad did with me.....and I'll do the same with my kids. I had two, not one, but TWO, accidental firings tonight (something wrong with my firing pin....not going out till its fixed) and it really drove home why you HAVE to practice safe muzzle control.
Start em young!!

Islandeer
10-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I had my boys afield with me when they were 3. Obviosly not big hunts, but little excursions,4x4'n,fishing. Show them all of the cool things out there. Make it fun,bring cool snacks, and yes, gun safety is absolutely a must. They need to know the harsh realities of mistakes. Teach him to respect the wild and he will be a hunter for life.

Krico
10-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Make it safe, make it fun, bring lots of food. As stated earlier little ones get bored and distracted easily, so do a bit of driving, short walks, etc. Kids love a campfire lunch, and it's a good way to break up the day and have a relaxing break.

Bow Walker
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) No kids of my own so I just play with the Bro's brats until they are all in a tizzy and then turn them lose on their parents.

The nephew is very interested in getting a deer of his own this year, and that is somehow really satisfying to both me and his dad.

DBM
10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Get his interest right from the start. Take him somewhere he'll see lots of game, does are okay. Approach it like a camping trip as opposed to a hardcore hunting trip.