PDA

View Full Version : Ducks Everywhere

Chilliwack
12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Just got back from a drive around the Valley and the corn fields are just full of feeding mallards. :-D The cold weather is making them hungry.

Friends of mine are out on the Fraser now and were doing well.They even lost a downed bird to an eagle.

Charging the robo now and then heading out, hopefully for a good shoot. A bit of a wind that has just come up that should help too, especially with it being a bluebird day.

Mr. Dean
12-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Everywhere I drive around here seems to have good #'s of birds this year - And here I sit on the sidelines watching all you guys putting the smack-down on them.

I'm happy for ya!
Go git'em.

pnbrock
12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
are you seeing them in sumas flats?

Chilliwack
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
are you seeing them in sumas flats?

No, in the Chilliwack area but I am sure there will be lots birds there too if you can find a corn field and get permission to hunt it.

Chilliwack
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Did not shoot well but was able to bag 7 from 2 pm to the end of the hunting time frame.

Only used a single rob duck to bring them in. After the shooting time they were almost landing on my head .

beni
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
You guys are lucky... we have a very limited window up here, nothing left now. Seeing geese here and there, but all in no hunting zones :(

aliagha
12-10-2011, 12:36 AM
got a duck report last week from my uncle in chilliwack, a group of his friends managed 40 mallards in one morning! WOW! wood ducks are around as well but it seems that they are coming in pretty late in the evening. hopefully, will go and check out the area myself tomorrow or on sunday!

nano
12-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I was out on the flats last weekend and there were lots of ducks, but the weather was too nice.

longshot
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Well sounds like you mainlanders have all the damn birds! Today was icy, and slow for ,my dad and I where we were.... still managed some 'lards but it wasnt exactly super exciting lol!

longshot jr.

bandit
12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Saw almost exclusively wigeon and teal today, guess the mallards have spread up the valley. Some of the teal were so close I could have hit them with the barrel! Definitely less ducks overall in Delta than last week.

Dutch Ppoacher
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
not much in the fields here either! seen some does though!

Chilliwack
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Saw almost exclusively wigeon and teal today, guess the mallards have spread up the valley. Some of the teal were so close I could have hit them with the barrel! Definitely less ducks overall in Delta than last week.A good lot of cattle corn around this year in the valley, as was a late harvest this year because of the wet spring that delayed planting, some did not get completly harvested so provides feed that of course helps keep the ducks around.

Also lots of cannery corn fields but I find mallards like cattle corn better. Some of the ducks I got yesterday had corn in them so will not be fishy as there is some that feed on chum in the Chilliwack Vedder River and of course the Harrison.

Dutch
12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Went out to Sumas this afternoon and had 8 before legal quitting time .Shot like a moron thank god for the little brown dog who made a couple of great retrieves out of the canal. The birds started pouring in when I was walking out ,big flocks 2 -3 hundred went straight in.My robo duck is working great with its new wings but did have a couple flair off so turned it off and that helped.

Chilliwack
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Went out for a drive today to checks some corn fields and they continue to have lots of mallards getting their fill. I may have to pay them a visit tomorrow.

aliagha
12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Went out for a drive today to checks some corn fields and they continue to have lots of mallards getting their fill. I may have to pay them a visit tomorrow.
nice! how long do you think that the ducks stay at a corn field for before moving to another?

meat eater
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
You guys are lucky... we have a very limited window up here, nothing left now. Seeing geese here and there, but all in no hunting zones :(

i hear ya!! i never got any geese this year an the few i've been chasin lately are very skittish!!

Chilliwack
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
nice! how long do you think that the ducks stay at a corn field for before moving to another?Until they get shot at too heavily or eat up all the corn. A field I hunted early on in the season had no ducks there for a while but today it was loaded.
I think they sense snow coming so they are feeding heavily before their food source gets covered up with that white stuff.

Angus
12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

I was watching some of "Alone in the Wilderness, Part 2" last night, and when I read this comment by Chilli, I could almost hear Dick Proenneke saying this.

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
All the waterfowl water here is under @ 8 inches of ice. :-(

cloverphil
12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
does anyone actually have permission to hunt anywhere? it seems everyone I've asked has had to ask their wife first who then says no 'cuz the kids don't wanna see us killing birdies.

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 02:41 PM
My little 7 year old son has had me reading the "Brother Wolf" novels to him at bedtime (where he cuddles down with all his stuffed animals) and the whole hunting thing intrigues him. He lives in a predominently first nations community, where hunting is pretty common, if not compulsory. Argument that can be made is that regardless of how much gas you waste while hunting, it still has a smaller carbon footprint than the chicken at Safeway has. Shooting said bird in cold blood is also more humane than death in the poultry concentration camp.

Dutch
12-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Well said ,any bird (chicken) that gains 5lbs. in 40 days is not anything i want to eat.Was out again yesterday in Sumas birds were moving early around 3.Should have had a limit and been out as everything came right in on the decoy but couldn't hit my but again.Got home and took the Beretta apart and the choke had backed out about 1.5 turns just enough that it didn't protrude from the barrel by a hair.So that had to be the problem and its my excuse and I'm sticking to it.Got a banded mallard drake as well will let you know details:)

Dutch
12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Mallard Drake banded in August 2010 Spokane Washington so he gets around.

Foxton Gundogs
12-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Mallard Drake banded in August 2010 Spokane Washington so he gets around.
Lives a LOT more life and sees a WHOLE bunch more of the world than the Safeway chicken.

Sako 75
12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I shot banded Drake Mallard back in early Dec. 2011 and it from NR Minto, Minto Flats, Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska. Dated banded 08/03/2011 by Dr. Mark S Lindberg.