PDA

View Full Version : Peace area bucks

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
:| I was wondering, everytime I go up to Dawson area or up by Mile 132 of the Alaska Hwy, I always run into massive bucks but there is never an opening while we're hunting moose / elk. I seem to observe a healthy population of deer so why is the deer season so strict? Was it "shot" out at one point or have the deer just migrated up there in the past decade? I have been hunting up in the peace for 8 years now and love it, but I always see the game with a healthy buck to doe ratio (that I've seen).?
:|

JMac
09-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Basically what I know about these deer is what I was told (from a very reliable source you might say). A couple people I know have seen more than one book deer when they were hunting moose in this area. These deer are very tame due to the fact they aren't hunted. All I can say is those big boys and the rest of the herd summer there (crown land). If you go there when the season opens those deer will have left/migrated. Apparently most of them travel/winter along the river and farmland where a lot of it is private land. If you know a farmer with a big spread of land you'll be in the grocery store of big hawgs.
Feel free to check it out. I know I probably would. However I'll trust my reliable source and others that have been there only to find their big tame bucks have left for greener pastures.

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Thats usally the truth for me, once my hunting party shows up they all migrate to Mexico:lol:

willy442
09-29-2006, 09:47 PM
The deer hunting here brings so many people and problems for the local farmers, that it is very hard to gain access to most of the better spots. These big bucks are rarely seen during the rifle season as they are mostly in the steep breaks along the peace river and merging streams. Access to these spots is mostly across private farms. If you want to take part in a gong show, come here about Nov 10th.

Good Luck

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:51 PM
No, I wouldn't go up that far just for deer, we have our full chasing moose and elk around, but I was curious about the general season, why it didn't open the usual sept 10 for 4 pointers etc. Are the deer that tame?

ARC
09-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I think that they are a little more vulnerable because they don't really seem to pay much attention to traffic. In most areas around here there is alot of oil and gas activity, and/or farmers are running machinery in their fields. In other words they are fairly used to human activity.

browningboy
09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
You guys are lucky to live in that area, the wife won't move

PGKris
09-29-2006, 10:18 PM
There are some monsters around Hudson's Hope. For sure.

ARC
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
You guys are lucky to live in that area, the wife won't move

Ya, its alright, however the private land thing is a pain sometimes. I'm not a local, I've only been here about a year, and it is tough to get permission. If I ask 10 people, maybe 1 or 2 will say yes. I've knocked on alot of doors, so I'm slowly building up a fair collection of area....so far I have permission to hunt on about 10 sections scattered throught the area, but I have talked to alot of people.

.270boy
09-29-2006, 11:12 PM
My dad was up at pink mt. abotu 4 years ago and said he saw the biggest mule deer hes ever seen in his life, he said probably would of gone 180-190 class.. the best part is he watched it for abotu 15 minutes at 60 yards away... this was 2 days before the season opened for muleys. Judging by that it seems they may get a little tame up there? The deer was fully aware they were there.

tangozulu
09-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't think the private land response explains the short season. Area 7b is huge and only a fraction is private land. Even then why not longer seasons on crown land. This year the whitetails are plentyfull all the way to Yukon.

bigwhiteys
09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
There is nearly 3 months of hunting for Deer in 7B if you add it all up. Bow Only, Antlerless, and Bucks only. Starting in Sept. and even going into December if you look in the regs.

7B is a huge region but some of the best deer hunting is on private land or so I have found anyways. Much of the crown land come deer season has already seen two months of moose and elk hunting which seems to push the deer around some.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

browningboy
10-01-2006, 08:58 AM
One thing if you find the right farmer and have the proper scouting, mabey you may see the odd elk etc that hasn't "felt" the pressure ? How are the farmers with the feb elk LEH hunt, are they forgiving as you think the elk would be eating up the cattles feed? Too bad it wasn't as easy as purchasing a farm. As for the Hudson hope deer, we came through that hwy from Chetwynd and after Moberly Lake, holy smokes the amount of deer, even the spikes had 14" tines!

bigwhiteys
10-01-2006, 09:25 AM
There is lots of Elk on private land up there and there are farmers who'd love to have someone shoot them. A problem up there is abuse of the land and many of the farmers have no choice but to stop access to some prime hunting.

The land we hunt is double gated and locked to keep people out... Last year the lock was shot off the main gate, the gate was broken down, we kicked out 4 different hunting parties of trespassers and found 3 dead Moose that were shot and left to rot. Before we even got there there was several other hunting parties that had come in and the farmer kicked them out and he even told us one group of younger guys told him to "F**K Off - Old Man" when he tried to kick them out. We ran into them later and had a little chat :)

Do you think this farmer wants to let people hunt there anymore? It's a major problem up there and one we've had to deal with every single year no exceptions on several different patches of private land.

The worst part of it all is that it's a small group of hunters that do this disrespectful crap and we all have to suffer the consequences by lack of readily available private land access.

My little rant.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

GoatGuy
10-01-2006, 10:43 PM
:| I was wondering, everytime I go up to Dawson area or up by Mile 132 of the Alaska Hwy, I always run into massive bucks but there is never an opening while we're hunting moose / elk. I seem to observe a healthy population of deer so why is the deer season so strict? Was it "shot" out at one point or have the deer just migrated up there in the past decade? I have been hunting up in the peace for 8 years now and love it, but I always see the game with a healthy buck to doe ratio (that I've seen).?
:|

I'll save you the rant.

There is no science behind it - strictly one biolgist who 'likes it' that way. No other reason. Kills resident hunter participation among the other seasons that are set up 'creatively' in 7B.

shortroot
10-02-2006, 02:29 PM
My guess as to the season being in November, is that it saves the deer from being hunted in combination with the other ungulates (moose and elk). With the number of people heading to the northeast in the fall to hunt moose and elk, the biologists are probably looking at taking the pressure off of the deer from these hunters. If every moose hunter in the northeast had a mulie/ whitetail tag in their pocket, I would hazard to guess that the quality/ quantity of the deer in the region would drop in rapid succession...

Just a guess.... The same reason for the 1 in 2 rule for mulie bucks in 7B.

PGKris
10-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Browing you aint jokin about spkies with 14" tines either. They grow em big iin that area.
As for the regional openings (or more closely, lack thereof) I have heard that the area's openings are "catered" more closely to the needs of the 'southerners" that come up to hunt in the any bull season? With less of an emphasis put on the local participation. Hearsay only, I will stand to be corrected.

browningboy
10-04-2006, 08:53 PM
The bucks are defineately large, well at least when you do go up north its nice to see large bucks and not just hundreds of does! One day when the canada in the rough show gets their head out of their *** and comes to BC, they should go up to Northern BC, and see what really bug bucks are.
Whats up with that show? I think they're scared of the bear population here or something because they have no interest in coming here.:frown:

GoatGuy
10-05-2006, 04:48 AM
Ok here's a bit of it.

If you look at the season's for 7B as a region you could easily make two assumptions:

1) It's setup for non-residents (IE guided clients)
2) It's setup for locals only not out of region hunters

There are more friggen deer than you can shake a stick at in that country.

They now have a doe season for private property but they can only squeak out 3 weeks of 4pts better for muleys and wt's - gimme a break. 1 in 2 on muleys for residents and 1 in 3 for sheep. Did you notice there aren't any annual restrictions for non-resis??? Not a big deal as most non-resis don't return but something to think about.

It is managed as one region but it should actually be managed as the peace/liard. Farm land and crown land, 2 very different areas.

There are monster bucks north of FSJ on crown land that are NEVER EVER HUNTED because you can't access the land they live in during nov. There is absolutely no reason why that bush country north of FSJ can't be open from Sept 1 on.

A 4 pt or better season for WT's? Come on now, they're like rats up there. Again, no science behind it just one guy out there doing what he wants killing off resident hunters.

If you look at the history of participation in 7B you'll see that the current manager has set it up to alienate out of region hunters. The deer/moose/elk season used to overlap by 4 days. He got rid of that and cut hunter numbers down by 30% in one year - those were mostly out of region hunters.

For moose 80% of resident harvest occurs during the last 2 weeks of august during any bull. The bush is almost dead from sept on except locals to 7b and outfitters with clients chasing big bulls. Coincidence?

There's way more to this, frankly it's absurd. Hopefully we'll see change in the near future - - retirement's coming soon but never soon enough! :|

Don't want to sound like the conspiracy's out there but the management of 7B has been an absolute joke for quite some time. The current decision maker doesn't listen to other bio's and basically runs it as he sees fit without any kind of regard to resident hunters or management.

BCrams
10-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Goatguy - we could put a name to that fellow :)

dana
10-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Goat,
Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

How many other Regions and seasons are run the same way in this province? If they want to recruit the all the new hunters by 2010 they better start making some major changes damn quick.

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I think the Okanagan could stand a longer mulie and whitetail season too. In most areas the deer are everywhere...I'm counting 20 - 30 deer some days. The biologist himself said "Remember the good old days in the 80's and early 90's when the deer populations were way up? Well, we are in the good old days again." And then he goes on to tell us that November 10 is a good date to shut down the 4 point mulies. Good grief! I think if guys had the opportunity for a rut hunt, they'd let more of the dinks go in the any buck season.

mark
10-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Agreed!! Mulies should be open for rifle up to the bow season just like whities!

Ken
10-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Ok here's a bit of it.

If you look at the season's for 7B as a region you could easily make two assumptions:

1) It's setup for non-residents (IE guided clients)
2) It's setup for locals only not out of region hunters

There are more friggen deer than you can shake a stick at in that country.

yep but if even 1/3 of the non locals that come here took a buck home that sure as heck wouldnt be the case

They now have a doe season for private property but they can only squeak out 3 weeks of 4pts better for muleys and wt's - gimme a break. 1 in 2 on muleys for residents and 1 in 3 for sheep. Did you notice there aren't any annual restrictions for non-resis??? Not a big deal as most non-resis don't return but something to think about.

It is managed as one region but it should actually be managed as the peace/liard. Farm land and crown land, 2 very different areas.

There are monster bucks north of FSJ on crown land that are NEVER EVER HUNTED because you can't access the land they live in during nov. There is absolutely no reason why that bush country north of FSJ can't be open from Sept 1 on.

A 4 pt or better season for WT's? Come on now, they're like rats up there. Again, no science behind it just one guy out there doing what he wants killing off resident hunters.

since the 4 pt season the quality and # of bucks has drastically improved, making for much better hunting IMO

If you look at the history of participation in 7B you'll see that the current manager has set it up to alienate out of region hunters. The deer/moose/elk season used to overlap by 4 days. He got rid of that and cut hunter numbers down by 30% in one year - those were mostly out of region hunters.

I sure haven't seen evidence of a 30% reduction, but if thats the case.... GOOD! Its pretty darn crowded up here come aug 15. it gets down right ******ed around here in the fall.... WAY too many non locals

most of us around here don't even go out untill sept. even then there is still alot of non locals out here

For moose 80% of resident harvest occurs during the last 2 weeks of august during any bull. The bush is almost dead from sept on except locals to 7b and outfitters with clients chasing big bulls. Coincidence?

almost dead LMAO good one

even if that was the situation, whos fault is that? season is still open

There's way more to this, frankly it's absurd. Hopefully we'll see change in the near future - - retirement's coming soon but never soon enough! :|

Don't want to sound like the conspiracy's out there but the management of 7B has been an absolute joke for quite some time. The current decision maker doesn't listen to other bio's and basically runs it as he sees fit without any kind of regard to resident hunters or management.

what is the measure of success in your opinion......

from what I can see or have noticed, the population of Moose is strong (must be to with stand the slaughter from aug 15-31) Elk are doing fine and the Deer population is on the rise.

GoatGuy
10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I sure haven't seen evidence of a 30% reduction, but if thats the case.... GOOD! Its pretty darn crowded up here come aug 15. it gets down right ******ed around here in the fall.... WAY too many non locals

most of us around here don't even go out untill sept. even then there is still alot of non locals out here.

I see where you're coming from - looking out for number 1 - got it.

You and the regional share the same philosophy. Not sure if it's even worth continuing on...................

Why do you think it gets overcrowded at certain times? 2 weeks any bull moose aug-15-31 - no wonder. 3 week deer season for 4 pt or better - no wonder. You're packing everybody into a couple weeks and killing off other hunters who would traditionally overlap hunts at the same time. Hunters are the first ones to say woahhh if we're short on game tighten up the seasons but that certainly isn't the case in 7B.

Come Oct and mid sept most of that country's damn near silent strictly because of the way things are managed save those looking for big bulls and outfitters.

Deer elk and moose are up - seasons are a catastrophy.

One of the highest wt densities in the province and you have a 3 week long 4pt season? Good one. Absolutely absurd.

Need a GOS mule doe season for private land yet harvest for muley bucks is 3 wks long, 1 in 2, 4pt or better -good one.

Elk populations that's damned near out of control, encroaching on sheep habitat and 90% of the area's inaccessible or extremely tough to access - 6 pt minimum for the most part - good one. You should hear some of the other bio's rant about that.

Moose hunting season that's setup for a slaughter from aug 15-31 so that the out of regioners come up and go home creating a nightmare in the bush - good one.

Monster mulies north of FSJ that are only open from Nov 1- 21 when everything's snowed in and inaccessible good one - absolutely crazy.

Basically your region is setup just the way you like it - cram whoever's crazy enough from out of region to go up for a couple weeks and for the rest of the year keep everyone else out. Nice for those who live there and are in close proximity to hunting areas but a nightmare for anyone from out of region.

Killing resident hunters off one at a time, region 7B.

tangozulu
10-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Region 7, and all the wildlife within, belongs to all British Columbians.................get over it

Jetboater
10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
getting the in with a lot of people up in region 7 is a work out , to say the least. just going up an trying to get permission is far fetched at least on any good properties.
when I go up I help the landowner for a few days before I hunt and I bring a fair slew of salmon and fruit with me.
why would you let some one hunt your property without any reason.there is more poaching that goes on up there than anywhere I have seen.

spend some time with a few people up there , it is an amazing area and the people are great.they just want to be appreciated.

brno375
10-06-2006, 10:00 AM
My 2 cents:

MULE DEER

Open up an any buck season for youth/senior from Aug 15 to Sept 30.

Bow season any buck Sept 15-Oct 15.

GOS antlerless Oct 25-Nov 5

4 pt or better Nov 1-30

Keep it one buck every two years.

WHITE-TAIL

Youth/senior Aug 15-Sept 30

Bow any buck Sept 1-Sept 30

GOS any buck Oct 1-31

4 pt or better Nov 1-31

GOS antlerless Oct 25-Nov 5

One buck a year

Moose

This is a little more complicated. As unpopular as it would be, I would take out the any bull season and replace it with the antler restriction, but I would add a LEH any bull season for this period. Any bull and cow LEH's would increase as the population allowed. I will also point out the any bull season in the north portion of Region 6. Check it out, it has big bulls and beautiful country.

Excuse me while I put on my flack jacket.

PGKris
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
^^That right there is gonna get a lot of deer killed.
The only thing I will say (there are powers that be viewing) is that I disagree with your suggestion about anter restrictions on moose. Simply because there are enough moose to sustain the any bull season and antler restrictions only add more confusion to the already complicated regs.

Robert_G
10-06-2006, 12:50 PM
The north half of Region 6 gets tremendous pressure on the ' 92 day any bull moose' season, and there are no antler restrictions..even during the rut.
If you talk to the regional biologists, they will tell you that the North half of region 6 has 'considerably' less moose then region 7B, and yet they are having no problems with sustainablility for the overall moose population.

Keep in mind I'm talking about 6-17 to 6-29. The southern part of region 6 is another story altogether.

I agree that having 'any' bull for only 15 days in Aug in 7B is a joke.

browningboy
10-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Well as for the moose season, the any bull season should be Sept 1 to the 8 or something like that, it gives the bulls a chance to get "spooky" and not become sitting ducks, not to give away anything from the northern hunt, but to go 9 months non pressure to sudden anything goes seems a little quick, but in turn the smartest have to survive! Back to the bucks, everybody agrees that there is alot of B&C bucks up north with little pressure, lets have a decent LEH rifle draw during the normal open season, this allows little pressure but almost guarunteed fun for the successor!:twisted:
Straight shootin!

GoatGuy
10-11-2006, 12:20 AM
2 years ago the head bio, for the region was caught in the property I hunt after he cut the fence to drive up to the buck he shot. He claimed because he has one arm he should be able to do that?????

The one and only!!!! Anyone call the CO??????????????

WoodOx
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Yea that sounds a bit ridculous hed do that - I dont know about cutting a fence, but I might be right in saying that hes allowed to shoot from his truck b/c of his disability.

I uno - cutting a fence and shit is beyond his rights though.

mainland hunter
10-11-2006, 08:47 AM
they could at least give out any buck draws or something during sept/oct. ive seen some beauties there.

WoodOx
10-11-2006, 10:10 AM
I think the ultimate point to this argument is what you are managing for.

IMHO if you are managing for trophies (which by the way, IMO is not concentrated on in BC) then I think the current system is good.

If you are managing for the deer herd, for the greater population of hunters whom are not necessarily lookin for a trophy then I think things need to change.
Ive heard alot about the region 7b bio, and they arent really good things. Have also heard some interesting things about Cariboo region bio ;D

browningboy
10-12-2006, 08:46 PM
:twisted: Wow, the 15 day moose opening is soar to some and welcome to others, realisticly, everyone has the opportunity to head up in August to join the slaughter but the out of towners only have one problem, the heat, keeping the moose cool is a problem when its 35deg and not everyone has access to coolers so this hunt just seems to attract locals and skippers (shorter drive), I think they should have some type of restriction during the opening (putting on flak jacket) as well as place a LEH for the big bucks, doesn't have to be lots, but it would be a trophy ticket(good chance of big horned animal) as well as alot of goooood meat.
Anyways put some LEH's for moose up there, but wait I'd probly never get one!:evil:
Straight Shootin!

Gateholio
10-12-2006, 10:33 PM
g
2 years ago the head bio, for the region was caught in the property I hunt after he cut the fence to drive up to the buck he shot. He claimed because he has one arm he should be able to do that?????

Unless he had permission, he is guity of an offence.

I would hope tht the event was recorded and reported to the CO's.

Frankly, the more I hear about people in *priveleged* positions getting away with unethical behaviour, the more it makes me want to puke.

luckynuts
10-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow touchy subject! Goat guy the reason for the tight deer restrictions comes from the winter of 96 which nearly wiped out the deer population. I agree with everyone in that there are a lot of deer here now and there could be changes made. It's true big bucks usually frequent the private land but there are still lots on crown though a little tougher to hunt and for a non local would be hard as to where to look as there is a big migration pattern with the deer here when the cold sets in. I know as a moose hunter coming up I have seen huge mulies in the past in our spots now being a resident going back to those same spots has yielded nothing and I mean no sign at all when deer open up:sad:

Anyways thats my two cents.

W

GoatGuy
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow touchy subject! Goat guy the reason for the tight deer restrictions comes from the winter of 96 which nearly wiped out the deer population. I agree with everyone in that there are a lot of deer here now and there could be changes made. It's true big bucks usually frequent the private land but there are still lots on crown though a little tougher to hunt and for a non local would be hard as to where to look as there is a big migration pattern with the deer here when the cold sets in. I know as a moose hunter coming up I have seen huge mulies in the past in our spots now being a resident going back to those same spots has yielded nothing and I mean no sign at all when deer open up:sad:

Anyways thats my two cents.

W

I'm sure the winter in 96 affected pops as it did throughout the province but there was only a 3 day change to get rid of the overlap between moose/elk hunts and deer hunt in 96. Instead of deer hunting starting oct 28 it started nov 1. That got rid of 30% of the hunters, all of which were out of region.

4 point only reg was in effect prior to that. The regional bio up there is a trophy hunter.

As far as crown land goes there's plenty of bucks to be had if you know where to go. My buddy in HH shoots 150-170 wt's every year without trying and takes a 170-180 class muley, after he's done sitting out his time, on crown land.

My whole point is if there's additional opportunities to be created for rh's without affecting population then do it. Among other things, having a 4pt only wt season for 3 weeks/year is crazy.

brno375
10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
My whole point is if there's additional opportunities to be created for rh's without affecting population then do it. Among other things, having a 4pt only wt season for 3 weeks/year is crazy.

Agreed on both counts.

From what I understand, WT are dominant and push MD out of areas. The WT up there are the Dakota strain are they not? Were they introduced?

BCrams
10-13-2006, 10:19 AM
The whitetails are the Dakota strain, and they spread into the BC Peace region over time from Alberta and since have done so well over the years, particularly since the 4 pt regulation came into effect (a regulation that I don't believe was even necessary).

Gateholio
10-13-2006, 11:16 AM
You woudl think that many businesses in the area woudl welcome out of town hunters, as they must drop a afair amount of $$$ on gas, food lodging, etc.

I know I spend lots of $$ when I travel to hunt.8-)

browningboy
10-14-2006, 10:59 AM
The north kicks ass! Obviously quiet most of the year and then for two months all hell breaks loose, but as well alot of money does get put in the local economies. Where is this thread going???

WoodOx
10-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Dont know, but I like it! lmao

I know its probably a very complicated question to answer - but (generalized of course) what kinda of migration do these deer make in the late fall?

eric
10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Guys, the rod and gun club up here has a lot to say on the antler restriction and length of seasons?
Can you say TROPHY HUNTING.
And yes the 4pt wt season is a joke as well as the short season.
There is some monster size 3 pt mulies running around that need to be thinned out.

browningboy
10-14-2006, 09:33 PM
My guess would be when the snow flies, they head for the lower ground thus being the farmers fields, those lucky farmers, moose, elk and deer bothering you all hunting season long, yum, yum! Aquacher, thats a hell of a buck in your photo, those are the type that I see when I go up north, and the great thing up there, you see more bucks than does where in the lower part of BC, theres just tonnes of does, thats the beauty of it up there, as I write this thread my buddy miked me from our normal hunting spot (couldn't make it this year:cry: ) and told me he saw 9 moose, 1 elk and in one farmers field approx 20 deer, approx half bucks! I thought by now they would be in solitude and getting horned up for the ladies? You have to go there to experience the buck populations!:evil:

WoodOx
10-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Been and seen my friend!

Take look, this is ONE of quite literally 20 or 30 fields like this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0076.jpg

Anyhow, thanks that pic is my biggest mule deer. Grossed 166 3/8, net 159. He was from Kelowna area, and has bigger relatives still alive ;-D.

Anyhow, moreso than deer populations the thing that bothers me around here is hunter density. Up north youll run into other hunters, but not 20 in one area, and NEVER if you take a hike =D

WoodOx
10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
A better view of mine, plus one that lives in a friends backyard lol.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/DSC00520.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/knoxdeer.jpg

browningboy
10-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Is the one in the back yard stuffed?

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Nope totally real - its a real estate agents house whose property borders a mountain that has been developed, but not fully. There are a lot of large mule deer that die of old age (or poaching) that live there b/c of good habitat and no human danger.

You can see in his right antler that he has some sort of household wire caught!

browningboy
10-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Thats funny, hes getting ready for christmas! Just looking for a plug in but what a nice looking buck! Those are the bucks that I go after, haven't really hunted deer to seriously as of late, just been going after moose and elk, sucess with moose, close calls but no luck with them, just the ol 5X5!
Where do you go on this site so you can post pics? I have some but can't figure it out!:oops:

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Goto www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) and make an accout there.

Once you have an account, upload all your pics and then come on here, start a message you want and below each picture from photobucket copy its URL and paste it between yourURLhere and itll show up.

Hope that helps?

browningboy
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks Aguacher!

bigwhiteys
10-15-2006, 04:22 PM
My first "Peace Country" Whitetail Buck.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/myfirstwhitetail.jpg

Happy Hunting!
Carl

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Holy crap nice whitey!
Do you live up there and have private property, or was that just an open season wing it kinda buck?

Im thinking about purchasing some property on Williston in the next year to put a hunting cabin on - well see though!

bigwhiteys
10-15-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't live there, but I was born in FSJ. Most of my family still lives up that way and we hunt on private land.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I cant decide, invest time asking a ton of private land owners for permission to hunt, or just scout public, but inaccessible land (via boat/hike in only) lol

browningboy
10-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Look at the nice buck! Time to sell my property down here and move! Where abouts did you get the deer, north of FSJ or south?:roll:

WoodOx
10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Some may think its a stupid idea, but we should get a few of us together from here that now one another and meet up there for a late (or early bow??) season trophy deer hunt. Pool our knowledge and scouting etc - just a suggestion, but could be fun/productive??

bigwhiteys
10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Look at the nice buck! Time to sell my property down here and move! Where abouts did you get the deer, north of FSJ or south?

That's my smallest too! There are lots of big whiteys up there North, South, East, West... Wherever the does may be :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

browningboy
10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
It would be a cool idea for a "group hunt", I'm heading up next year for moose etc, so for me I'm in next year! Do you have the pics of the larger bucks?:|

WoodOx
10-17-2006, 07:14 PM
In all honesty ( i may have posted this before) but the biggest shock for me was not the size of the bucks I saw while I was up there, but the sheer quantity.
I must have seen ATLEAST 50 bucks over the period of a week, a number of which would have gone around 150''. when reading this though, KEEP IN MIND I was hunting moose and elk exclusivly, and only saw these deer to and from hunting locations.

One wopper worth speaking of was crossing a highway of all places, in a no shooting zone, and was a whitetail. I goto Sask almost every year, and this whitetail was bigger than ANY ive seen out there (i always shoot small ones, usually by accident lmao) - He would have scored atleast 160'', he had beautiful dark and think horns, and was a perfectly symmetrical 5 point.

When your heading up there, how many guys do you typicaly go with, what animals do you usually hunt, how long and what dates are you planning?

Regards (BTW anyone else reading this that might want to come and explore for some big bucks PM me or browning or post here!!)

daycort
10-21-2007, 08:35 PM
[quote=GoatGuy;89324]Ok here's a bit of it.

For moose 80% of resident harvest occurs during the last 2 weeks of august during any bull. The bush is almost dead from sept on except locals to 7b.

.[/quote

I would call you on this one. I work in camp and in some sweat hunting country and it gets boring waiting for a computer to tell you something is wrong. I go visiting to the different hunting camps within earshot of the mobile radio and about 90% of the camps are from out of region 7b. Islander boys usually.

Didn't we in the peace region just get another one armed bandit(no pun intended).

daycort
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
if we had the 3 point or less season in sept. the out of region people could over lapp there elk/moose/deer hunt. And this would help the trophy rut hunt in november.

GoatGuy
10-21-2007, 09:16 PM
[quote=GoatGuy;89324]Ok here's a bit of it.

For moose 80% of resident harvest occurs during the last 2 weeks of august during any bull. The bush is almost dead from sept on except locals to 7b.

.[/quote

I would call you on this one. I work in camp and in some sweat hunting country and it gets boring waiting for a computer to tell you something is wrong. I go visiting to the different hunting camps within earshot of the mobile radio and about 90% of the camps are from out of region 7b. Islander boys usually.

Didn't we in the peace region just get another one armed bandit(no pun intended).

How does it compare to August?

I think the young guy up there is a good guy - feel sorry for him being put in that position and having to clean up the mess and deal with the people up there.

Ask him for the stats on harvest and hunter pressure if you don't believe me.:wink:

boxhitch
10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Looks like you have been dwelling on this one for a while, Daycort. Not sure of the point you are trying to make, so maybe renew the base issue.

daycort
10-21-2007, 09:37 PM
to be honest GoatGuy, in my particular area that I work the moose hunters are not here in august like they used to be, maybe it is different in other areas. I still like reading your input and the news you share with us. Very imformative.

boxhitch,

not to much dwelling, but a september season like this would be good for hunters like browning boy and agaucher they would be able to hunt deer and moose/elk. Maybe a 4 point season in sept in the more northern regions like the north west part of 7-35,7-43(excluding simpson valley), 7-44, 7-45, 7-46 and maybe 7-58.