PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Assistance

sakofinnlight
12-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Iam in the market for a new shotgun and am in search of your opinions. The use of the gun is going to be for shooing clays as well as getting into waterfowl hunting. I will also be taking it along with me to shoot some grouse in the fall. (so I guess a all around use)
12 guage is the choice and now I have no clue where to go from there.

Few questions I have:
If hunting in a wet climate is there a certain gun that stands up to the elements better? I have a few rifles and prefer the stainless barrel compared to my blued barrels as I dont have to worry about rust if my gun gets damp. (not sure if they even manufacture shotguns with a stainless steel barrel?)
Seems more and more rifles/shotguns are available in a synthetic stalks, what are your thoughts on snythetic vs wood stalks on a shotgun?

Iam looking around the $400-600 price range
What guns have you used or owned and whats your opinions on them?

Thanks in advance for your input it is greatly appreciated!

Trophyslayer
12-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Not goin to get an awesome gun for that price but my beater shotty is a rem 870 and there's all kind of mods and they are pretty reliable but if you wanna go and spend some more get the beretta extrema 2 that's my waterfowl gun

benttip
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
just my take but love my remington 870 super mag pump gun......will shoot 2 3/4,, 3 and 3 1/2 inch..I find no need for the 3 1/2 " but its there and i love the camo.Super easy to clean inside and out..Can paddle a boat with it...lol..Have had no troubles..seems to eject everything and so on.....Just tough and reliable...Synthetic stock and decent recoil pad..Its in your price range also..

sakofinnlight
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the advise, a little looking around I have realized thousands can be spent a high quality shotgun but for now the need is not there.

huntwriter
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Have a look at Mossberg guns. Mossberg makes good quality and reliable shotguns in your price range. I own a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 12 g and use it for everything from turkey hunting to waterfowl.

Another great gun in your price range would be the Benelli Nova and the Super Nova. I've mine (Super Nova) for five years now and couldn't be happier.

WaderGator
12-08-2011, 11:34 PM
870 super mag in camo. I had one and have since graduated up to the Xtrema 2. Its hard to beat an 870 for reliability and with the synthetic stock and camo on there it stands up to the elements really well. I actually liked the recoil pad on that gun way better than the one on my beretta

Singleshotneeded
12-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I've had my Remington 870 since the late 80s and it's never let me down...excellent gun!

Drillbit
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Was going to suggest a Benelli SBE II, but they are over the budget price.

For something in the budget price you can get a brand new 870 that won't let you down.
The Benelli SuperNova is also a tough reliable pump.

12-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Spend a few bucks and GET a REMINGTON 870 - 3 inch model Wingmaster (not the express), various options to choose from. No need for the 3 1/2, if your not constantly pounding geese. If you only by the 2 3/4, one day you'll wish you had a 3 inch (maybe your gal too ) hahaha.

YOU CAN NOT go wrong with this choice.

Had mine since I was 12, thats 39 years ago, NEVER broke down ! Killed HUNDREDs and Hundreds of waterfowl with it, shot trap and skeet, pheasants and grouse. Looking to hammer a local deer with it too.

My 2 cents

CT

TheProvider
12-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Benellli Nova, has been my only shotgun and has never failed me, there is the super nova but heard its not worth the extra money just for the limbsavers and larger trigger guard. Have taken many geese and ducks with it. Shot tons of clays, hunted in hot weather to -15 and never had any issues.

ufishifish2
12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
You have really limited yourself with that budget which is likely why so many have suggested the Remmy 870. It is a great all around gun, and will work fine for ducks and such. It will be the shitz for clays if 2 birds are being launched at a time sych is with sporting clays. There are few shooters out there capable of competing with a pump. Trust me. When I first started going out for shotgun shoots on the odd weekend my 870 was all I could afford. Still had fun, but I always placed in the bottom third of the pack. Now I have a Beretta O/U and do much better.
With your budget you pretty much have to buy the 870 for now.

WaderGator
12-10-2011, 01:27 AM
O/U isn't very good for hunting cause you're missing out on that 3rd shell. Although that browning cynergy in MODB i held a few weeks back had me thinking. not to mention an O/U in that price range would pretty much only be good for using as a club to finish of those birds after bringing them down with an 870 hehe

jonz
12-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Here's another vote for an 870. Good for birds and deer if in a shotgun/bow only area.