PDA

View Full Version : A Buck and Bison to Finish the Season

kootenayelkslayer
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
1000th post...yikes.
A great hunting season came to an end yesterday. Sure was nice having so much free time this fall, spent many days in the bush and got to see a lot of new country in BC, but still feel like I've only scratched the surface.
After trying for mulies for a week or so and not being able to find a buck that was quite what I was looking for, I took a break to go up to the Halfway River to help my buddy on his bison draw. Not too much of a story, but was nice country and a new experience as far as hunting goes. We ran into a herd on our second day and were able to put the biggest one in the group on the ground.
Here I am posing with my buddy's ol' cow:

As soon as I got home, it was time to head back down to Reg 3 in search of a mulie to top off my season. I'd been seeing lots of deer, lots of small bucks, small 4pts, and a couple bucks that were decent but not quite tag-worthy. Yesterday I spotted a good looking buck in the morning and watched him as he climbed the mountain before fog rolled in and he disappeared. I didn't think I'd see this buck again, but decided to hike to the top of the mountain to see what was up there. It took me about an hour and a half to reach the top. On the way up, I followed the bucks fresh tracks for as long as I could until they were engulfed in fresh tracks from other deer. When I reached the timber at the ridge top, it seemed like a perfect situation to make my way north with the sun at my back and wind in my face. I started walking, but for some reason my gut was telling me to go the other direction...with the sun in my eyes and wind at my back. It seemed stupid, but I turned around and headed south. Not 2 minutes later I see the face of a mature buck looking at my thru the thick timber, maybe 50 yards away. He was on to me, so I raised my rifle and identified him as the same 4pt I'd seen earlier. The only shot I had thru the tangle of trees and branches was for the neck. I tried to squeeze a shot off but the bullet hit a tree before reaching the buck. I jerked at the trigger and knew it. I worked the action real quick and the buck stayed put, this time I slowly squeezed and...click. The bullet was seated too low in the magazine and the bolt had failed to catch it. I work the bullet into the chamber with my fingers, but now the buck was off to the races. I could see him weaving thru the trees so I ran up the hill slightly hoping to get another crack. I grunted and the buck came to a broadside stop, but with only a small patch of shoulder showing. That's where I held the crosshairs and touched one off. This time the buck dropped and one more shot was needed to finish the job quickly.
He wasn't the monster I had been hoping for, but was a respectable, old buck. It was getting late in the season, and time and money was fading fast, so I was pretty happy with taking this buck. I managed to cut every tag in my booklet this fall (and all in the same order in which they were placed in the booklet...strange). Truly was an amazing fall. Now time to catch up on some rest and put some weight back on!

Here he is...I had to drag him out of the timber into the open because the sunlight was playing havoc with my pics:

I forgot how big bodied these mature bucks were.

spear
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Thats a great buck to cut a tag on, nice work, hell of a season i would say

doubled
12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Beauty buck and bison. Wish I had the fall of to go play!!! Looks like you had some serious fun this season.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
...and the dream season comes to a conclusion...or are you going to nail some predators, too??

Excellent stuff, KES!!

Congrats!
PS-not bad for a rookie:-D

SSS

kennyj
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Nice work. Thats a beauty 4 point. Love those burns.
kenny

ROEBUCK
12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
great buck !
what a fantastic season!
congrats

meat hunter
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome. He ie so big.

meat hunter
12-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Awesome .He is huge.

jml11
12-08-2011, 08:41 PM
ahhh...to have no financial or family responsibilities.....I remember those days!!

Nice work mike, have to get together for a brewsky or maybe some ice fishing one of these days...probably should include your old man of a landlord too i guess?? lol.

mark
12-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice last minute buck, heading there tomorrow for one last kick at it!

whitebirch
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
a season to aspire to!
congrats.
sheep - goat - elk - whitetail - bison - mulie?

greenhorn
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Congrats.. I wonder how many lbs of meat you put on the ground this season...

tomahawk
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Love the roman nose bucks!!

bruin
12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Pretty amazing, you've got enough to write a book this season! Awesome buck, great capper!

kootenayelkslayer
12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
PS-not bad for a rookie:-D

SSS
Thanks, I'm learning!

ahhh...to have no financial or family responsibilities.....I remember those days!!

Nice work mike, have to get together for a brewsky or maybe some ice fishing one of these days...probably should include your old man of a landlord too i guess?? lol.
Sounds good to me. It's definitely ice-fishing time now.

a season to aspire to!
congrats.
sheep - goat - elk - whitetail - bison - mulie?
The bison wasn't mine. sheep - goat - elk - whitetail - mulie - caribou (Nwt) :D

Congrats.. I wonder how many lbs of meat you put on the ground this season...
Too many. I've got meat stored in about 5 locations.

Pretty amazing, you've got enough to write a book this season! Awesome buck, great capper!
Thanks Mike!

ThinAir
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Wow you just don't stop do you! 2011 is a year you'll never forget. Congrats!

Brambles
12-08-2011, 09:44 PM
SO

Caribou
Elk
Stone Sheep
Mountain Goat
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
and in on a Bison

All great representations of the species. HELL of a year there buddy, congrats on all your hard work.
AAHH the stories you'll have to talk about over the dinner table.

12-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Man oh Man what a season you have had !

Steller ! Great pic's once again.

Best be getting that colon checked for the amount of red meat you'll be eating this year !

Congrats KES !

Your next expected post ...... KITTY KITTY !

CT

coach
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank goodness you shot an only slightly larger than average buck. It proves you're actually human after all!

Congratulations on one hell of a great season, KES. Thanks for taking all of us along on the ride. Not sure anyone can top your 2011 anytime soon. Enjoy!

Call of the Wild
12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Awesome way to finish your season, well done for a hunting season you won't forget.

A killer
12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Wicked Kills, Mike!! Now get back to school and leave some for us!!!!!!
Take care,bro

BCrams
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Stellar season Mike and what a great mule deer to cap off the season!!

cainer
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
dude-unreal season..where do you find the time. I thought i had a lot of time off. Nothing like a big'ol mulie to top 'er off.

Rattler
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Bloody hell man...that is one hell of a season. Congrats on a dandy buck!

hunter1947
12-09-2011, 02:35 AM
You had a fantastic season this year a few freezers full of good eating game meat that MD is a good size animal head mount ???? nice wright up as for the pictures ,congrats ..

Blainer
12-09-2011, 08:01 AM
You have provided us with plenty of good reads this year.
Good on ya
tfs.

BiG Boar
12-09-2011, 08:13 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_45851024x768.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_45691024x768.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_48371024x768.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_48621024x768.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_48991024x768.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/108_47921024x768.jpg

Not much you can say to a season like that other than.....

I just picked my jaw up off the floor.

Crazy man! You've got some great stories and great pictures!

Most incredible season I have ever seen. Going to be tough to beat.....

But what do you have planned for next year?

Blainer
12-09-2011, 08:25 AM
WOW!!
I have to make another comment after Dave posted your pictures and really put the season in perspective.
Un Frickin Believable Season.
Fantastic!!!
Some great trophies!!
u Rock Star!!

rifleman
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Very good year for you. I don't think I have seen anyone have such a successful year. Congratulations!!!!!!

fusion
12-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Not a bad way to cap off an incredible season. Way to go!

kootenayelkslayer
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Wicked Kills, Mike!! Now get back to school and leave some for us!!!!!!
Take care,bro
Thanks man. I don't even want to think about school!

Stellar season Mike and what a great mule deer to cap off the season!!

Bloody hell man...that is one hell of a season. Congrats on a dandy buck!
Thanks guys.

You had a fantastic season this year a few freezers full of good eating game meat that MD is a good size animal head mount ???? nice wright up as for the pictures ,congrats ..
Definitely some full freezers...I'll probably just do a sort of euro mount on the buck, keep looking for a bigger one to get mounted.

Not much you can say to a season like that other than.....

I just picked my jaw up off the floor.

Crazy man! You've got some great stories and great pictures!

Most incredible season I have ever seen. Going to be tough to beat.....

But what do you have planned for next year?
Thanks man, the bison wasn't really mine, but you forgot the caribou! haha
Looks like you had a fine season yourself. I'm not sure what next fall will bring, but I may not get much of a hunting season at all. That's why I had to make the most of this one.

trigger
12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
what an awesome season man. good for you. great buck. thanks for sharing

jml11
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
SO

Caribou
Elk
Stone Sheep
Mountain Goat
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
and in on a Bison

All great representations of the species. HELL of a year there buddy, congrats on all your hard work.
AAHH the stories you'll have to talk about over the dinner table.

....that 'in on' list can be greatly extended if you count 'work' time...Cali bighorn, several Dall's, other caribou....etc...

Not many take 3 animals to the taxi in one season (with these animals it could be more depending on a person's standards)...You are going to have to take the winter semester off too just to work and pay for those mounts!!

kootenayelkslayer
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
....that 'in on' list can be greatly extended if you count 'work' time...Cali bighorn, several Dall's, other caribou....etc...

No kidding. I think I added it up to 27 kills going back to bear season this year.

7 Black bears
4 Dall sheep
5 Caribou
3 Mountain goats
1 Stone sheep
1 Cali bighorn
1 Moose
1 Elk
1 White-tail
1 Mulie
1 Bison
1 Wolf (if that counts)

Busy year! Maybe when the forum slows down I'll post pics to recap the whole season.

35 Whelen
12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Congratulations Mike.....all that hard work paid off. No need to worry about putting some weight back on...I think you have all the fixin's you will need in the freezer for some awesome feeds. My question is.....what will you do for an encore?

dana
12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Great finish to the season! Congrats on what is surely a season of a lifetime for most. I'm sure it won't be for you though as you've definately got that killer instinct in ya.

LeverActionJunkie
12-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Holy Chit Dude way to go! Congratulations on a hell of a season! I will be lucky to kill all the species you got this year in the rest of the years I have left!

Good work and thanks for taking us along I enjoyed it.