PDA

View Full Version : Jump shooting ducks

dak0ta
12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi,

At Brunswick Point, what's the best way to do some pass/jump shooting along the dykes? Should you just walk through the reeds and stay hidden and hopefully get close enough to ducks along the shore? And where is the best place off the path to find some ducks?

fowlweather
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
you will never get close enough to jump shoot, especially walking through reeds making noise, maybe some dumb ones but not large flocks at least, ive hunted there once. its a hit and miss thing, it will either be great or a waste of time. you will see stuff though, make sure its a really bad day though. as for pass shooting, just make sure you stay still till you are ready, youll get some

dak0ta
12-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I noticed that most of the ducks usually like to fly over the middle body of water. Will they ever fly over the reeds or along the shore?

And for pass shooting where should one wait? In the reeds? Or get as close to the shore and hide?

aliagha
12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
i hunt Brunswick point marsh all the time, ducks fly all over the marsh. You just need to stay low and have patients. I have seen other hunters just standing, looking around but ducks can get you from a great distance. Go out in bad weather, raining snowning, windy, ducks will be all over the marsh flying low.

nano
12-08-2011, 07:39 PM
When jump shooting ducks you need to fined them is small sloughs if you want a chance at them. When they are together on open water you will never get a chance.

dak0ta
12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
When's the best time of day to go jump/pass shooting? Do you need to go out when it's still dark and hunker down? Or can you just go later in the morning and set up?

nano
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I find early morning is nice, but I have shot ducks at all times during the day.

aliagha
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
When's the best time of day to go jump/pass shooting? Do you need to go out when it's still dark and hunker down? Or can you just go later in the morning and set up?
get there at least 2 hours before the sunset, find a spot to set up and sit tight. you will get ducks.