PDA

View Full Version : my first deer with a crossbow

sparky300winmag
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Well after missing what would have been my biggest whitetail on the last day of the rifle season, i set my sites on getting a whitetail with my crossbow.
I went out a couple of days ago and tried walking the edge of cutblocks , but it was just too noisey even with snow on the ground. So i drove the logging roads looking for deer.I . When i spotted a buck i would get out and try to stalk in close for a shot with my excalibur. I got close to a spike and thought i had time to range him, i didn't. I got 10yrds from a doe but i just couldn't pull the trigger, i wanted a buck. About an hour before dark i spotted a doe and another deer,turned out to be a small 3 pt. I was getting frustrated hunting this way especially with a crossbow. So i turned off the truck ,got out,loaded the bow and the small buck ran up onto a knoll and stood broadside. I figured it was about 50 yrds so i put the 50yrd pin on him and let her rip. I heard a smack and the buck took off , then i heard a loud crash of branches and i looked over to see him briefly. He was down.It was a perfect shot right behind the shoulder and he didn't go 40yrds.
One thing about using a bolt over a bullet, there isn't a huge hole in the animal. I think i may go out and try for a doe now ,i would like to get some bratwurst made up. http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/firstwhiteywithcrossbow.jpg

Bc Deer Hunter
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Thats what its about!! What type of excalibur do you have? Im yet to harvest a deer with my ibex! Its going to be a blast :D Thanks you for sharing and best of luck-
BCDH

Islandeer
12-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice whitey!! Inspiring me to try for one next season with my Exer too. Well done.

doubled
12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Right on. Can't wait to get my sh!t together and get my fixed or get another one.

SHAKER
12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I think I'm going to join the horizontal bow club too..... I shot a compound for quite awhile but sold it to one of our members to get a backpack. (some piece of )*&(% &^)&#%*& )*^&^%$ useless crap stole my old one out of my shop a week before a sheep hunt. I've thought of getting another one but a horizontal might be just what I need. Nice tasty one!

ianwuzhere
12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
awesome, congrats!
this spring i purchased an excaliber ibex-took my largest bull elk with it this year.. great weapon-very fun...
cant wait till next year, grizzly hunt would be wicked..
get back out and try for a doe now!

fearnodeer
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Right on, i just got a crossbow too so looking forward to giving it a try.

bigben
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I think I'm going to join the horizontal bow club too..... I shot a compound for quite awhile but sold it to one of our members to get a backpack. (some piece of )*&(% &^)&#%*& )*^&^%$ useless crap stole my old one out of my shop a week before a sheep hunt. I've thought of getting another one but a horizontal might be just what I need. Nice tasty one!

Loads of fun

hunter1947
12-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Nice WT deer to take with the bow will be tasty on the dinner plate ,well done congrats to you..

5 spike
12-09-2011, 03:35 AM
congrats on a nice whitetail some awesome eating there.

358win
12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Way to go. 1st's are allways fun. Great food to boot.

Gumsehwah
12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
You took him with your crossbow?

That is BADASS, no matter how you slice it. :-D

Venison for Christmas dinner!

I have yet to shoot my first deer, but I hope to hell I do it with my bow.