PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly hunting tactics ! Spring & fall ????

ROEBUCK
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I have some interior grizz hunting ?????
Especially in late spring early june.
Are they more likely to be lower down the mountain in late spring? Say feeding in clearcuts more ?
And whats the best strategy for both late spring hunts and interior fall hunts.
I know in early spring the bears are normally up higher in the mountains

Drillbit
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
You find them where the food is.

Spring=look for the first Green grass

ROEBUCK
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
WHAT ABOUT TIME OF DAY IN SPRING ?
i KNOW BLACK BEAR ARE BEST HUNTED IN THE EVENING ?

Drillbit
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Shot one last year at around 4pm. Nice sunny afternoon. Foot of snow on the road in the shady spots, green grass in the clear-cuts.

ROEBUCK
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Congrats on your grizz
when did you get it ?

bones35
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Railway tracks are good lots of moose kills over the winter, as well as the pipe lines they green up before everything else.

Good luck

srupp
12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
hmmmm grizzlies in the interior always come downhill from hibernation, they bed in places that when they come out there is guaranteed grub..ie fresh green grass,south facing SLIDES that green up first are the places to look, like hasa been said go to the food, they also like fiddleheads etc to clear that fecal plug..

as the spring progresses the bears actually work UPHILL staying with the fresh grass growth..more nutrients..untill mating season..

clearcuts are good in spring sun gets to the ground allowing groth sooner than amongst trees, however SLIDES ARE FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE.

Late spring when grass is now sprouting everywhere..so are the bears..thats why early spring when leaves arnt out = better spotting..and far less food so the bears are concentrated.

Fall its about fish, salmon if they can get it....they will travel distances for this type of nutrients..second is berry crops...grass is still on the menue..they are OMNIVORES they eat everything but granite and license plates..lol..

Steven

ROEBUCK
12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
hmmmm grizzlies in the interior always come downhill from hibernation, they bed in places that when they come out there is guaranteed grub..ie fresh green grass,south facing SLIDES that green up first are the places to look, like hasa been said go to the food, they also like fiddleheads etc to clear that fecal plug..

as the spring progresses the bears actually work UPHILL staying with the fresh grass growth..more nutrients..untill mating season..

clearcuts are good in spring sun gets to the ground allowing groth sooner than amongst trees, however SLIDES ARE FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE.

Late spring when grass is now sprouting everywhere..so are the bears..thats why early spring when leaves arnt out = better spotting..and far less food so the bears are concentrated.

Fall its about fish, salmon if they can get it....they will travel distances for this type of nutrients..second is berry crops...grass is still on the menue..they are OMNIVORES they eat everything but granite and license plates..lol..

Steven

Thanks Steven !

Drillbit
12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks!
End of May. 22nd I think. First guy into the valley. Deep snow in the shady spots, lots of moose sheds right on the road. When I got into the back and crossed the creek and hit the southfacing sides of the valley there were bears everywhere.

Great day spent with my Dad. Always good coming home with something too!

BromBones
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
WHAT ABOUT TIME OF DAY IN SPRING ?
i KNOW BLACK BEAR ARE BEST HUNTED IN THE EVENING ?

Hot weather in late spring can get them making appearances in early morning/evening to avoid the heat. Evening is generally primetime for the big boars, but we've killed grizz in the wee hours of the morning, noon, and evening. Get to know your area and you'll soon get a good feel for the hotspots, and timing. In a couple areas I hunt, I know some great hotspots for early morning and evening, and I'll hit those spots religiously because I know I've got an excellent chance of spotting one. For the mid-day/afternoon, I'll head out with the intention of covering lots of ground, or try to explore a bit, to pick up on any new sign & have a peek at other areas that are not so promising but are still worth a look, and quite often I've had good results from that.

So the bottom line is hunt all day, every day, and you just might get lucky ;)

srupp
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
hmmm from my experience black bears at dusk..last hour..grizzlies in am at first light...over the years its been pretty consistent...give me the first hour in am for grizzlies anytime...this is interior bears..

steven

bowhunterbruce
12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
hmmm from my experience black bears at dusk..last hour..grizzlies in am at first light...over the years its been pretty consistent...give me the first hour in am for grizzlies anytime...this is interior bears..

steven

x 2.i'm completly with ya on this steve.not only is the am better,there are far more oppertunities for a safe stalk and retrieve in the daylight.grizz recovery at the end of the day sucks. at worst you have to come back the next day and this is after not sleeping all night from wondering !!!!!!!

srupp
12-09-2011, 11:43 AM
do
x 2.i'm completly with ya on this steve.not only is the am better,there are far more oppertunities for a safe stalk and retrieve in the daylight.grizz recovery at the end of the day sucks. at worst you have to come back the next day and this is after not sleeping all night from wondering !!!!!!!

Im sure there are many reasons..grizzlies seem to feed after dark..perhaps more nocturnal eating..and by am they are hungry again, I personally feel that in spring the bears enjoy that cool temp... chow down then go go sleep for a bit in a creek bed or in the timber..that they get uncomfortable in high temps. big thick hide,

I do know we have harvested far more grizzlies in the early am.. I checked with another guy that has hunted grizzlies successfully for 30 years..his INSTANT answer for when "first thing in am be in there in the dark..be there for fist light"..

Totally different than coastal bears....

However the advice to hunt all day is ggod advice...

Interior grizzly hunting we always went in to the slides by falshlight...hunted the slides till maybe 10 am when the
"thermals" made it dicey...then we went for lunch and glass the valleys and wait for afternoon..then around 4 pm we would go back after the thermals switched to downhill.. and hunt till absolute dark..

By far the early morning hunting was overwhelmingly more successful...

good discussion

Steven

Deer_Slayer
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
south facing slopes, and seek out the nice green grass, and the dandelions...you find dandelions, fresh grass, and you get bears.

pnbrock
12-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Just go in the woods they hunt people stand still they will come to you. Don't you read the bear posts?

ROEBUCK
12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks Guys
some great advice so far !
any more ?