PDA

View Full Version : Im wondering if i am doing this right.

andre40ca
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
tuesday i went duck hunting for the first time ever and by myself. got decoys from canadian tire. mojo from the local store along with a duck caller. went in my 12 ft. alluminum boat and found myself some back waters on the fraser to setup all my stuff. I was hiding under a burlap sheet and got attention from a few birds but they were flying way too high for me too shoot. I thought they would land but never did. they came to see my setup when I was calling but never came close enough. im asking all the experts out there if there is something better I can do to make hunt more successful? and went again wednesday and was the same thing.

Crazy_Farmer
12-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Only thing I can suggest is scouting. If you're not seeing birds where you're hunting it'll be alot harder to pull them into your spot. On water especially. If you are seeing ducks on the water where you're hunting then maybe it's something else, calling too much, they don't like the double reflection of the robo on the water.

andre40ca
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
that's a good advice thanks. on tuesday i put the mojo on the very edge of the water it seemed to me that they were flying a bit closer then wednesday when I put it in the water with the others.

FirePower
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Also you are hiding under the burlap but what about the boat you can't leave it out glareing for all eyes to see it needs to be camoed or hiden, we use our robo ducks on water and they work fine so I doubt it is that. Like everything you endevor to try its a learning experience. Just because ducks are doing a fly by doesnt mean its a spot where they would normaly light so like the Farmer says scout for birds on the water and make your set there.

Good hunting
FP

Phreddy
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe try calling less.
A few good blasts to get their attention then a little clucking of a feeding duck goes a long way, but too much of either is just going to put them off. Listen to ducks and geese in their natural setting and while you might get a fair bit of noise from a large group, smaller groups tend to be a lot quieter in the long run.

Foxton Gundogs
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
All good advice, I tend to think there are certain days or situations where robos will flare ducks not often but it does happen. The calling less is a good point as well, I believe no calling is better than bad calling and it takes a bit of practise to get passable with a call. just get out and have fun even "unsucessful" hunts are good hunts try to learn something from them you'll get birds, remember most of us have had litteraly decades to get it right and WRONG lol. And most of us have had mentors as well.

f350ps
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Try putting yer Robo 20 yds down wind from you. K

andre40ca
12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
thank you all for the advice and finally got my first duck yesterday. I was pretty happy can't wait to go back again.

talk to you soon.

sae
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
don't worry about over camoing yourself or the boat in the lower river, look at all the garbage floating in the marsh lots of color , set yourself up next to a big block of foam as a duck blind , just don't move and don't look up the flash of your face is what will give you away!!!

12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Where have you been hunting. Location makes a huge difference. When your out there next time. Take note where the ducks are flying and landing and try setting up there. Don't forget about the huge roll the tide plays. I mostly hunt on a rising and high tide. If the birds wont comit change stuff up. Move your boat further away. Turn off the robo. Hide your self better and make sure the ducks don't see you move your head watching them.

Hope this helps.