PDA

View Full Version : Charging Grizzlies - Fact or Fiction

Moose63
12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Just reading a thread on "Charging Grizzlies" and the need for high calibre bullets to knock down a grizz.

When I worked up north, I was told that the animal that was most feared and caused the most fatal attacks on humans was moose not Grizzly. Just wondering if Grizzly are getting a bad rap.

Fact or Fiction? Look forward to hearing some of your experiences.

Personally, (knock on wood), I haven't had an issue with Grizzly. Haven't hunted them either though. :twisted:

ufishifish2
12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
So far all charges have been bluff charges for me. Hope that fact stays constant for the rest of my life!

alexboyprin
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
i think people fantazise a lot about "the 1,600 pound grizzly-attacking you suddenly from 20 yard" most people have never seen a grizzly and will never encouter one. most people do not hunt them and, most of the time, grizzlies do no attack you. and, if one would be unlucky enough to be attacked by a grizzly, there are so many variable involved for succesfully stopping the charge that any caliber will do (within reason)as well as the other because one would have to shot the brain or the spine to stop the charge anyways!
so, this subject is only good for mental masturbation!

fireguy
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I have had very close encounters with both a grizzly and a charging bull moose. The grizzly I was hunting and I had lead into him and he ended up getting as close as ten feet and the bull moose I had just taken out his cow and he decided to charge me from a distance of about 15 feet. I did a quick turn around a tree that I was standing beside to dodge the charging bull after I had put one over his head and it didn't phase him at all and was able to get him to go by me and down the trail. The grizzly died.

Looking back on both incidents I really wouldn't want either to happen again and lots of people have told me I should have dropped the bull even though I didn't have a tag. Both would have easily killed me but I was able to walk away from both and if I had my choice, I would rather the moose than the grizzly any day.

To top it off, two days after the moose incident I pretty much stepped on a black bear in his den, he died from a shot quite quick from point blank range. I don't really want that to happen again either.

Krico
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Hunt with a rifle you are comfortable with and doesn't make you flinch. With a charging grizzly your biggest concern is actually hitting it with a bullet!

I had one come in on me, shot him at about 7 metres running flat out straight for me. I would have shot him much sooner but he leapt over a snowbank at only 10 metres! This was provoked though, as I had used a predator call to bring him in - not something I'd recommend to anyone wanting to stay alive. I was lucky to hit him, I am not going to blow any "nerves of steel" smoke. Like my buddy said, you are far more likely to find trouble if you go out looking for it! I still love spring grizzly hunting and will be out every year I have success in the draw.

p.s. I was shooting 160 grain accubonds out of a 7mmRM. Not exactly a big caliber. Nowadays I just shoot my 30/06.

brian
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Moose/person death stats are high... but they are mostly from traffic accidents and not a rutting moose beating the snot out of a person. Saying that I did have an up close personal encounter with a rutting moose once. It ended well with both of going our separate ways.

hunter1947
12-08-2011, 01:14 AM
I have had a handful of bluff charges from sow and boar grizzlies over my 45 years hunting elk believe me its no fun :icon_frow I have called in bull moose when calling for elk never had a charge from the moose but they came in close as 30 feet.

If your in an area where there is a hi population of moose the chances of a attack from a moose goes up in the area same goes for the grizzlies ,I myself hunting solo for elk many years in the EK have called in around 10 grizzly bears non of them where full bowen attacks over the last 8 years I try to hunt with a partner the bears encounters have scared me over the years I am very jittery when out in the woods I am really aware of my surroundings my age might have something to do with my thoughts about bears :confused: ????.

Most times I saw the bears before they saw me 90% of the time I backed out of my set up position and exited the other 10% I had to yell shout and shoot over the bears back guess I was lucky ,Trigger a member of this site him and me where out for an evening hunt 4 years ago a big brown boar was coming into his cow calling we let the bear keep coming in for sometime then when it got to within 200 yard we both shot two times over this boars back and he still kept coming toward us http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png.

The few of the bad encounters that I had when putting leather on the ground was me surprising the bear from a distance or coming onto a animal kill 2 out of the 4 bears that I had close encounters with I almost shot them one a boar the other was a sow with one cub these two close encounters believe it or not where bluff attacks the two bad encounters both bears stopped from there charge at around 60 to 80 feet out they did not go away for some time I backed out watching with the gun safety off and ready then exited the area very quickly :icon_frow.

One other bad encounters the bears come running in at me but veered off some distance out guessing 100 to 150 feet might have been further could have been closer hard to tell after he made a bluff attack circled around me to get my wind the boar then exited yelling out growling as he was going away.

The one other time was on a boar I was cow calling on this old grown up road I heard calling it sounded like a moose coming in man was I wrong I found out shortly it was a grizzle bear the grunting stopped a sort distance up the road.

I was closing the distance up looking and walking very slow up this old grown up road I knew there was a clearing just up a short distance when I got to the edge of the clearing all of a sudden the animal that I thought was a moose was a bear it stood up just off to my left roared at me I put my rifle onto this bear it got down on all four shock its head back and fourth chattered its teeth at me then stomped his front feet at me then turned around and walked away I was some shook up I tell you..

A hand full of times in our camp we had blacks and grizzlies come in at night and try to get our game meat off the pole had to discharge the shotgun a few times to scare the bears away luck so far we have had no meat taken from the bears over the years touch wood.

I touch wood why I have not had a fatal attack from a grizzle bear I guess someone up stairs is looking after me and believe me I am really scared of grizzlies always alert in camp and when hunting out in the bush :icon_frow.

I had a full blown attack from a cougar years back when I was hunting on Vancouver Island I told my story about this attack on HBC a few years ago.

Bottom line from my experience with bears all where bluff encounters most bears will call you but most will leave after they have done this false attack there are very low percentage of bears that you encounter will attack you just don't know if any of the false bluffs will result in a attack ????.

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I'll take a charging moose over a charging grizz anyday, it's kind of a comfort knowing for a fact that the moose has absolutely no intention of making a meal out of you!!

frenchbar
12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
i'll take a charging moose over a charging grizz anyday, it's kind of a comfort knowing for a fact that the moose has absolutely no intention of making a meal out of you!!

..but a big bull if he wanted could still mangle the crap out of you if he got ya down...would shit kick you into next week lol glad ive never had to encounter either a charging grizz or moose .

saddlemaker
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
It is cow moose with new born calves in the spring that need to be avoided . Most hunters aren't in the bush in the spring so this is not a common issue.
They can be very protective. :)

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Way worse is the bear that holds you down with it's paws and proceeds to strip meat off your arse.....worse than any moose stomping you could imagine!!!

FirePower
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
In my oppinion more moose charges happen than grizzly is be due to the fact that a way more moose are encountered than grizzly. I have hunted many types of dangerous game and it is my belief that any animal that is in the true charge mode is so full of adrenolin that you want as much knock down power as available to get the job done. There is no such thing as over kill when any animal is trying to kill you.

Rodd
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
It is cow moose with new born calves in the spring that need to be avoided . Most hunters aren't in the bush in the spring so this is not a common issue.
They can be very protective. :)

This has happened to me as well, VERY scary situation indeed! She was peeved, and chased the heck outta me. If I had been in the open I'm sure she would have trampled me, ears laid back, snorting mad! I used trees to avoid the encounter. But it has only happened once. I called in a Bull moose once with my elk bugle, and although he didn't attack, he sure was curious, and followed me alll the way back to the truck at pretty close range... So I respect Moose... But have had many encounters with bears, all worked out and never had to kill any of them...

My advice... be aware always while hunting, never let your guard down(regardless of the location of the hunt.. Ie even your yard in the koot's) Spot them first! And pay attention to sign in the area your hunting... AND most importantly don't let fear ruin your awesome hunt! I always tell people who are constantly worried and talking about being attacked by bears "Worry about it when its time to worry about, and enjoy the rest of the 99% of the time when nothing occurs outdoors without fear! But also be ready! and prepared if it does occur. And rest assured if your out there long enough Crap happens!!"

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
You always hear the survivor stories where they talk about the sound of the bears teeth popping into their skulls.... Don't wear the boots you had on when dressing your moose into your wall tent, old four toes will follow the scent and find a burrito in there!! A moose is a sissy Mary in comparison!

elkdom
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
in North America, Black Bears account for far more human deaths and injuries than Grizz and Moose combined,,,,,,,,,

in North America, ATV's account for far more human deaths and injuries than ALL of the above,,,,,,,,,,,,

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Sure, but can an atv separate your head from your torso with one might swipe of a paw?? I think not!

elkdom
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Sure, but can an atv separate your head from your torso with one might swipe of a paw?? I think not!

if you are suffering from a touch of "Arctophobia" ??? this can worsen symptoms for bed wetters,,,,,,,,,

during long months of winter boredom ,symptoms tend to worsen, imaginations running a-muck,

actually this seems quite common on these threads about ferocious man eating bears,,,,

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
It's like campfire story telling......;-)

CanuckShooter
12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
A charging grizzly just stands my hair on end!! That's why I keep it cut short....if you don't your hat falls off.

Elkaddict
12-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Pick up one or all (three in total) of Gary Shelton's books on bear behaviour, the first one is titled Bear encounter survival guide ( amazon.ca has them). Good winter reading.

Never been charged by a Grizz, but had a Mexican standoff with one at about 20 yds. after cow calling on a slide one day. All ended well, as Mr. G just watched me back slowly over a small rise and leave. Fairly uneventful, but it left enough of an impression to convince me to convert the .270 Win I used to carry into a .35 Whelen.:wink:

Popove
12-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Had a buddy on here guiding out of cranbrook area this year. Had one come out of the bush while walking back on an old road. said he charged him and turned off last minute and was gone. Didint even have time to get his gun off his shoulder the whole experience. Thats one fast bear!!!

ianwuzhere
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll take a charging moose over a charging grizz anyday, it's kind of a comfort knowing for a fact that the moose has absolutely no intention of making a meal out of you!!

x2-rather a moose anyday, always nice to be with another person for more firepower.. i agree grizzlys are not as common as moose but i definatley wouldnt go near a grizzly without a weapon!

Moose Guide
12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I've been charged by grizz once and blackies twice, other than that I have had several close encounters with grizz and know of atleast 4 other grizz attacks locally. I have never had a close call with a moose although my brothers biggest elk tried to run him down and I have been attacked by grouse four or five times.

pappy
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I've never had a grizz charge, I have seen quite a few all from 20 yards to well over 200 yards away. They have been mother and cubs to young ones on there own and the old solo grizz. I have had more black bears act agressive towards me than anything else.

Deer_Slayer
12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
lol all I know when I'm out hunting I would rather come face to face with a moose than a grizz...they are called "medicine bear" and "real bear" by the natives for a reason...they are king shit of the bush and they know it and will be on your ass in a heartbeat if they are feeling like it. They haven't built their reputation over the years for being nice.

CanuckShooter
12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I've been charged by grizz once and blackies twice, other than that I have had several close encounters with grizz and know of atleast 4 other grizz attacks locally. I have never had a close call with a moose although my brothers biggest elk tried to run him down and I have been attacked by grouse four or five times.

Attacked by a grouse!! LOL, really? Tell us the story, this one might go good around the camp fire at night!!

bowhunterbruce
12-09-2011, 10:01 AM
ya its true, grizz are at the top of the food chain .when i'm in grizz country that has alot of cover, my gun will always be in my hand.thier speed and agility is second to none and i have the utmost respect for them.
if i was to ever go after my dream of getting one with my bow, there will be a big gun in the hands of someone i trust that works well under pressure as my protection.
as for an aggressive moose,as long as there is a good sized tree between you and them, your not going to get hurt. as long as you keep the tree between you and them.
a grizz on the other hand has better mobility then we do and will getcha if he really wants ya.
always be prepared in grizz country.

bisonhunter
12-10-2011, 07:56 AM
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/robthefisher/DSC_0403.jpg

He covered 300 yds in about 7 seconds after a moose call. 1 shot over his head for warning, lots of yelling and arm waving and he didn't slow down one bit. I was standing beside a 40 ft wide creek and when he got all four feet wet 300 grains of .375 h&h went down the pipe. it picked him off the ground and put him back on shore. I got lucky I hit him in the shoulder like you're supposed to and the bullet broke the shoulder then veered through the heart/lungs. It was times 1000 the wildest moments of my 42 years. I believe the look on my face tells it all.
we saw 20 grizz in 5 days that week.

CanuckShooter
12-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Wow....that must have puckered you up!!! Thanks for sharing the story and pic. CS

gerrygoat
12-10-2011, 09:07 AM
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/robthefisher/DSC_0403.jpg

He covered 300 yds in about 7 seconds after a moose call. 1 shot over his head for warning, lots of yelling and arm waving and he didn't slow down one bit. I was standing beside a 40 ft wide creek and when he got all four feet wet 300 grains of .375 h&h went down the pipe. it picked him off the ground and put him back on shore. I got lucky I hit him in the shoulder like you're supposed to and the bullet broke the shoulder then veered through the heart/lungs. It was times 1000 the wildest moments of my 42 years. I believe the look on my face tells it all.
we saw 20 grizz in 5 days that week.

I wonder how all the guys on the "Who needs a Magnum" thread would feel with a 270 in hand :) glad it worked out well for you.

Hooktender
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Grizz snuck up on me to 17yds, spun and hit him in the boiler room, did not flinch(30.06) I swung around tree and at 20yds hit him trrough lungs. he ran into trees. Shortly later, turns out he wasn't travelling alone. The guy I was hunting with had been in Pink Mt 20yrs of trips never seen a grizz until that + 2 others we saw. Next year he went alone and shot one through the cabin door. Sako 75 Finnlight SS 30.06 for sale or trade towards same .300 Win mag!

safarichris
12-10-2011, 03:19 PM
My Ex girlfriend charged me once and shook my family tree for three generations. That was worse than any ticked off bear or moose.

Foxton Gundogs
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
My Ex girlfriend charged me once and shook my family tree for three generations. That was worse than any ticked off bear or moose.

I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE THATS FUNNY RIGHT THERE lol

safarichris
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Ya , well it wasn't funny at the time.

elkdom
12-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Ya , well it wasn't funny at the time.

I feel your pain,,,,,,, Red Heads are the worst in humble opinion,,,:-|

the only things that will put one of them down, is a full Carat Diamond Ring or your Platinum Master Card,,,,,,,,

thank God for Master Card :wink:

safarichris
12-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Ha hahah you are right, The visa card was easy it was the bed wetting that lingered.

elkdom
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=elkdom;1037567]I feel your pain,,,,,,, Red Heads are the worst in humble opinion,,,:-|

the only things that will put one of them down, is a full Carat Diamond Ring or your Platinum Master Card,,,,,,,,

I fixed the problem, now she has a Platinum MasterCard and I get to make the payments,,,,,,,, duh!!!:?

safarichris
12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
It was real sad how it ended, it was forty below and the snow was about two feet deep and wind was howling outside. She looked at the glass window,with a far away look in her eye, but i would not fall for that, I still wouldn't let her in.