PDA

View Full Version : Where are the longbeards?

BlackwaterHunter
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Me and my brother would like to do a spring turkey bowhunt in the kootney's but we live up in pg and have never been to the area and a few tips of general areas where we could try would be greatly appreciated :-D

Gumsehwah
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
IS there actually turkey hunting in BC?

I mean, BESIDES hunting at the turkey farm?

300H&H
12-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Yea there is turkey hunting in BC.
Lots of birds in the Koots.
If you PM Huntwriter or any of the guys who list the Kootanys as home they might be helpful.
Only 4 months and 5 days until opening day.
That will be my next hunting trip and unscheduled day off

.http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/dorf007/th_CIMG1390-1.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/dorf007/?action=view&current=CIMG1390-1.jpg)

EastKootenay
12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
You can find turkeys anywhere in the Rocky Mtn Trench from Golden to the US border (not so much in the Elk Valley). The further south you go the better. I can’t tell you “exactly” where to go because I hunt there J but what I can tell you should increase your chances. Look for areas that have high timbered ridges (roost sites), an agriculture field (fly down, strut and early am feeding), some semi-open native brush/grass/open forest habitat (afternoon feeding and dust bathing) all in close proximity to each other (1km x1km). If the area is actively used by cattle all the better...cows generally = turkeys. The ag fields may be private land which you may or may not get permission to hunt on but the birds will wander off most private land later in the morning. I know it’s not practical when you don’t live here but pre-season scouting and pattering is the key to success. Turkeys are very sensitive to spring conditions and will avoid areas they used the year before if they haven't dried out and greened-up as early as it did the year before. Becuase of this, I start scouting at least a month before the season and even at that I often end up running around before the season trying to find where they moved to! Your best bet is to use Google Earth and circle some areas that exhibit the combination of habitat features I described earlier. We do have a healthy population but many ppl feel it is down somewhat over the last few years. Some ppl hunt the EK in the fall and swear we have no elk....same goes for spring turkeys. It is very hard to find the small pockets harbouring a tom. So frame your expectations accordingly - bring your fishing road and boat and enjoy the afternoon’s relaxing...or systematically scour the landscape like a dog during the mid-day looking for fresh turkey poop J. Consider successful hunt if you see a turkey or even just hear a gobble.
Sorry for the long reply...I luv turkey hunting!

300H&H
12-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Great reply EastKootenay.
Time in the preseason = better success tho not guaranteed.
I have heard of some cats (lynx...ect) that look for the roost and grab a turkey at night.
So the population may be going down.
Just what I heard, may not be a fact.
FYI to all new turkey hunters...practice your calling at home, not in the field.
Last season was a joke with all the hunters hooting and clucking.
Some very bad calling.
PS welcome to HBC EastKootenay.
Look for last years turkey contest.

EastKootenay
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks 300....good to be a new member here.
Large predators will take some but from what I understand the impact is not enough to affect an entire population. Owls are actually one of the biggest predators - taking poults. Climate is the biggest factor. They will bust out of the roost in the dark if forced. Just imagine what would happen if a cat grabbed an adult turkey 50ft up a tree..get that on video :-)
The EK wild turkeys are the most northerly population of wild turkeys in N. AM. Turkeys living on the fringe of their ranges are known to be unstable - more peaks and crashes than gradual ups and downs. These populations are more fluid - advancing and retreating over time.
Cheers,
Mark