PDA

View Full Version : Trail cam problem

brielle&steven
12-07-2011, 07:41 AM
I put my trail cam out for the first time in the cold, In two days out i got 123 pictcures of deer, The first nights pictures were alright and the flash seemed to be working properly, but by the second night the flash didnt seem to be working at all and you could just see the shape of a deer even a few yards away and cant even see any details of the deer. I am thinking maybe its batteries getting cold maybe, i brought the camera home and after being warm tested it in my yard and seemed to be working fine after being warmed up. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any type of battery that is better for the trail cam in cold weather?. Thanks brielle and steven

doubled
12-07-2011, 08:08 AM
How old are your batteries, also what tyoe are you using? What temperatures are you dealing with as well?

OutWest
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I use Energizer lithiums in my camera and have had it out below -10 with no problems at all. My Reconyx requires 6 of them but they last over an entire season.

doubled
12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
The lithium are good for that type of thing. If they are cheapies in the cam, well.......

brielle&steven
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Well its in an area that gets to -10 to -20, but being a cheaper 5.0mp camera that might be the problem. I will try some different batteries and re-test.

doubled
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Well its in an area that gets to -10 to -20, but being a cheaper 5.0mp camera that might be the problem. I will try some different batteries and re-test.

Get some batteries from a battery store and not a package wrapped item from Costco or Walmart. The battery store has the freshest batteries and it WILL make a difference if you have hardware that is finicky.

Nooker77
12-07-2011, 09:40 AM
If you are looking for better night pics id suggest an IR Cam...no flash and deer cant see it!! I get 400 to 600 pics every 24hrs...my D bats have been in for a month and are at 85% still...over 4000 pics on em! I have a primos truth cam35 Great results so far! Like xmas everyday checking my pics!

brielle&steven
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
If you are looking for better night pics id suggest an IR Cam...no flash and deer cant see it!! I get 400 to 600 pics every 24hrs...my D bats have been in for a month and are at 85% still...over 4000 pics on em! I have a primos truth cam35 Great results so far! Like xmas everyday checking my pics!

Well i think the cam i have has IR, at night its not a flash it has a bunch of small bulbs that turn red, i am guessing its IR. But still the first night u could see like 20 yards then by the second u could see just a blure a couple yards from the camera. Maybe its just the camera...

todbartell
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
try Lithium's for cold weather use