PDA

View Full Version : List your regions in order of preference for hunting

Robert_G
09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
I posted this at the other site as well, but thought I'd post it here too.....

We have 9 regions to hunt in BC.. 7a/7b counting as 2.
Taking your favorite game, scenery, overall appeal....in what order do you favor them from greatest to least.

1. My Favorite would have to be 7B. Need to spend more time there ...(usually because of time restraints and fuel costs), but its almost got the remoteness of region 6 but the variety of game in 7B is unequaled anywhere else.

2. Favorite #2 would have to be Region 6. Has more sq miles of remoteness and sheep/moose/cariboo country then anywhere else. Also has more open days of 'any bull' season for over the counter tags (moose) then anywhere else. Also has the biggest Grizz for those who like to hunt the remote coastal areas. Plus where else in the world can you shoot 15 deer a season for 9 months of the year, and then catch a 60 lb Chinook the same afternoon??? http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/eek.gif

3. Third place is a toss up between region 5, 4 and 7 A.

7A can go from great to fair, depending if you get LEH or not. Without a LEH moose draw, this area is nothing to write home about (especially if you're driving all the way from the LM). If you do get drawn, you're hunting in argueably the greatest moose habitat in the world, so yeah...its hard to know where to place this region.

Region 5 is where I've seen more Mule deer then anywhere else in BC. For a deer hunter looking for a Mule deer just to eat, this is the best place to hunt. Can be good pick if you get a moose draw too. Outside of that, its pretty limited. Both my deer have been harvested in region 5, so I'm kind of partial to the Cariboo region.

Region 4 would be my top choice to hunt out of 4,5, 7A, 'IF' I didn't get drawn for anything. You can see both speices of deer in ANY given area. Long Elk/Sheep seasons not needing an LEH tag. Goat LEHs are a near guarantee in most areas. The sheer numbers of deer exceed region 5 when you take both speices into account. Some of the deer seasons exceed 3 months in region 4. I need to spend more time here.

6th Place....is a toss up between region 3 and 8, but I have to choose region 8 over 3. The south east area is a Whitetail Bonanza, and region 3 just doesn't match up. Both region 8 and 3 can be gong shows at times, but the bottom line is, I see way more game overall in region 8 compared to region 3. The seasons are generally the same, but region 8 just has a huge whitetail edge over 3 which makes 8 more preferable. Not to mention I've seen some nice elk in region 8...

7th Place would be region 3.
Probably my least successful region, although I shot my first bear here, but it was border line region 2. I still don't know if I actually crossed the region line or not..lol. Regardless, it was legal in both regions.
Anyways...this is a region I'm hoping to change my luck in, but until then, it remains 7th place. Considering region 3 brags the biggest Mule deer densities in the province, the short 30 day season is a disapointment, as well as the 'few' sitings I've encountered.

8th Place is region 2..where I live http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Can you say gong show? You're more likely to run into grow op ******s then hunters when out in the bush. Not to mention, hunting blacktail is like a lottery. Even the succesful guys down here say finding a blacktail buck is like winning the lottery. With the exception of a few day hunts in Nov up the Harrison and Coq, and spring bear hunting, I steer clear of this area. Harvesting Blacktail Bucks outside of the rut is a pipe dream.
On the other hand, Goose hunting is fantastic.

9th Place would be the Region 1 of course. Ferry costs make the trip to the Island a definete 'NO', when taking everything into consideration.
The only thing that would get me over there, would be an Elk LEH.
As for the open season, the financial cost and actual time of getting there is equal to the cost of getting to region 5 or 4, and given the choice, its pretty obvious where someone with no LEH is going to go. Region 1 is the most limited region for hunting in the province. Deer are medicore at best, and mostly on private land. The success stories of big deer on crown land on the Island are getting less every year.
The big coastal Black Bear would be the high point of region 1 unless you get an Elk draw.

Still...when you look at everything, there is decent to excellent hunting in every corner of the province.

Now..this is just one hunter's opinion, so I'd like to hear where others rate the 9 regions.

Steeleco
09-29-2006, 02:10 PM
7-42 first, but there's so many still to be hunted, the jury is still out.

PGKris
09-29-2006, 02:12 PM
7A
7B
The rest

brotherjack
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Region 4 - because I can be hunting (some very decent areas no less) in less 5 minutes after leaving the house. :)

mainland hunter
09-29-2006, 02:21 PM
7b
7a

oldtimer
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
No Question >>> 5-13B. Moose, deer ( both mulie and whitetail ) bear galore and 10 minutes away. Mike

rocksteady
09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
What BrotherJack said...

ARC
09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
4 - I have lived in the kootenays and Fort St John....I prefer the kootenays for hunting. Mainly because it has the animal diversity with longer deer seasons, higher deer quotas, less private land and easier access into the mountains. Overall I think there are more and bigger deer in 7 b, but the rifle season is only 20 days, and you can only shoot 1 mulie buck every 2 years.
7b
haven't hunted in any other

youngfellla
09-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Region 6 for me, followed by

7B
7A

Haven't hunted any others yet8-)

Jelvis
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Region 1 >> excellent hunting for coastal Blacktail over the years, Herds of Rosies, Black Bear and Cougar >Reg2 is one of the smallest in the province. Good deer black bear and goat hunting Reg 3> moose deer bear and elk and water fowl, Reg 4 No 1 > Destination, for most , elk, mule deer, whitetail, moose, mountain goat. Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. blackbear. grizzly. coyote, and cougar. Reg 5 > Cariboo >coast deer, mountain goat bear.Moose, mule deer. Geese grouse and rabbit can be good. Reg 6, >Skeena >Moose hunting, between Burns Lake and Telkwa >Francois Lake and Smithers, from Hwy 37 canoes and light car toppers excellent trout fishing. Reg 7- > Omenica-Peace excellent moose herd balance calves and yearlings and More deer being seen, Black Bear incredibly abundant, Grizzly, goats at the holmes river, grouse good, water fowl numerous, canoe hunting for ducks good cause you can fish too. and Sheep a reasonable level of success. Reg 8, > Okanagan virtually all of reg 8 is accessable to hunting, to sub-alpine,increasing deer numbers, mule deer, elk, moose,whitetail and 8-3 and 8-11 honorable mention There you have a very short list of info so far, <Jelly Roll> 9296

Krico
09-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Tough to say, I've only hunted in 7A, 7B ad 5. Hoping to hunt over the coming years in 6, 3 and 4. I can't see myself ever wanting to travel to Regions 1 or 2, because I hate crowds. I also don't see any major draw for region 8 for me personally-I know there is some phenomenal hunting there, just nothing that I could justify the travel for.

Wildman
09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
1-11, 1-13, 1-14............because they are the only regions that I have ever hunted. Soon to hunt 5-13 though, so we will see where that will rank!

Robert_G
09-29-2006, 05:09 PM
1-11, 1-13, 1-14............because they are the only regions that I have ever hunted. Soon to hunt 5-13 though, so we will see where that will rank!

1-14?

Now that is a rareity. I may not like the Island, but 1-14 (mainland) got my interest.
Can we pry some stories out of you for 1-14. Considering the access is near 0, you don't have to worry about many people rushing there.

Rob.

Ozone
09-29-2006, 06:08 PM
1-14?

Now that is a rareity. I may not like the Island, but 1-14 (mainland) got my interest.
Can we pry some stories out of you for 1-14. Considering the access is near 0, you don't have to worry about many people rushing there.

Rob.

Thats were I am right now. Without my gun:frown:

Will
09-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Region 3 is tops for me..........Born and raised.
If you can't find a Buck here, you ain't trying:wink:

Sure tons of Great places in BC to hunt....perhaps if I live long enough I'll see them all:)

Seth
09-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Look how many of you guys have overlooked the island! I dare any of you to come over and try to hunt a decent mature blacktail. I'd have to say I enjoy region 3 the most though, probably because it's more of a vacation; having to take the ferry and all.

O.S.O.K.
09-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Region 3 is tops for me..........Born and raised.
If you can't find a Buck here, you ain't trying:wink:

yup Region 3....

Also, region 2 ...... love my blacktails..... figure it out and I think you have one of the best chances at dropping a book quality buck....just really came to light last year with miles of hiking and scouting. This November I'll be stomping around this region.

willy442
09-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Down Town Vancouver
Kelowna
Victoria

kutenay
09-30-2006, 08:54 AM
I have been and hunted in pretty much every area of BC, except the Charlottes (next year) and my picks are:

Region 4, it's "home' and IF you know the country, the hunting is superb, but, the conditons are tough.

Region 7a, especially 7-50, for actually shooting legal game with minimum fuss, missed out on a trip fubared by a "friend" this year, but, will go back next August.

Region 8, just because I enjoy it and it is 5-6 easy drive hours from this sh**hole called Vancouver.

I could hunt and fish Region 4 for the rest of my life and be happy.

Robert_G
09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Region 7a, especially 7-50, for actually shooting legal game with minimum fuss, missed out on a trip fubared by a "friend" this year, but, will go back next August.

You mean 7B..right? 7-50 is in 7B.

kutenay
09-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah, hadn't had my ayem coffee.......

30-06
09-30-2006, 02:12 PM
7-b
7-a
8-live in it

Robert_G
10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
One thing I notice in this thread, is the way Region 4 people feel about the area they live in. They seem to feel very little reason to hunt elsewhere. Yet people who live in other regions seem to hunt quite a few different regions regularily.
Must be something special about region 4. I've only hunted one time in region 4, but would like to put some more time in there.

LeverActionJunkie
10-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Region 3, and region 5, only ones I've hunted but I love em all this Province has the greatest variety of game and some of the best scenery anywhere.

shortroot
10-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Well, I live in Region 5 and have hunted in all but a couple of MU's. I love it mainly because it is close, but the diversity in hunting terrain is second to none. I love the fact that you can get into the mountains, sludge through the swamps or sneak around in the grasslands. It has terrain for all ages and physicalities of hunters.

I have also hunted in Region 6 (I believe the most beautiful zone in the province), 7A and 7B (7-50 is great), 3 and 1. I would love to make it back to region 6 many more times, as I loved my one trip there. I would also love to make it into region 4, I've heard it has some great hunting for those with some skill and determination. Region 8 may be in my plans later this fall as a friend wants to meet up for a deer hunt.

Each zone has its advantages, for most it is proximaty and familiarity, and that is why region 5 is at the top of my list. However, if money and time were no object it would be 6 and 7B, far-far away from the crowds.