PDA

View Full Version : Meat smells & tastes like grass.

FatBuck
12-07-2011, 06:41 AM
I harvested a whitetail doe in October. The meat smells and tastes like grass. Does anyone know why that is? I've had gamey tasting meat before, and that has tasted more like liver to me. Is this a different gamey taste?

SR80
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Did you gut shoot this doe? Or puncture the stomach while gutting it?

FatBuck
12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
My bullet fragmented and it did break the stomach. I thought that could be the cause of the smell, but I didn't expect the sirloin roasts to smell too. This has never happened to me before.

I used a 165 gr. Hornady Interbond in my .30-06 and took the shot when she was broadside to me at about 120 yards. The bullet entry location was in a good spot just behind the shoulder, but it hit a bone and broke up and exited in about 5 different spots on the other side, and made an awful mess inside. Not a great feeling when that happened.

doubled
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Welcome to gut shot table fare. If that happens again, make sure everything is thoroughly washed or you will have this issue again. Wash your hands constantly, knives, wipe everything down and wash again.

This happened once and I used a garden hose on it and it actually came out very good but I washed the hell out of it.

12-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Gutless method...

budismyhorse
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
likely not from the shot as much as contamination with bile during the gutting/drag out.

......cheese smokies may be the cure ;)

likely it isn't throughout all the meat......

Singleshotneeded
12-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Anytime you bugger up your shot and open the guts up, field dress the deer, leaving the hide on,
and then dump it into the nearest creek or river, and let the current wash through the body cavity
for about half an hour. Cleans things right up, and cools the meat down quickly which is a good thing.

CanuckShooter
12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Good idea now you can get beaver fever on top of tasting like grass.....wow!!!

Ted
12-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I like to use a mix of 50 % water and 50% vinegar to rince clean all the game I shoot. Try it might help the taste.

ultramafic
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Kinda reminds me of the trout I caught in a pond and when I cooked and ate it there was a distinct algae taste to the meat. I keep the pond trout now for crab bait.

mike

Sock Walker
12-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Shoot for the Neck and you will never have any problems.

trapperRick
12-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I was using the same type of bullet for my 30-06 and I found the bullet would break up just like that and would wreck more meat so I went back to a good old 180 grain bullet which slowed up the bullet and I found the bullet went though bone and did not break up so bad. I think the faster bullets (3000ft per second plus) are great on the target range and are great for guys who like to target shoot but for me the slower bullets kill the animal just as dead and don't mess up the meat so much.

BiG Boar
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Gutless method...

x2

No need to deal with that mess.

mrdoog
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Only if you choose to chown down on fresh venison tartar; freezing and cooking takes care of that nasty critter.

budismyhorse
12-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I think (hope) he was joking.......;)

12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Like Kentucky Blue or BC Home Grown Ganga

What type of grass?

CT

sawmill
12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Shoot for the Neck and you will never have any problems.

Yeah,as long as you don`t miss the 2 inch wide sweet spot .
guy I work with just got back from a Sask. hunt,shot a beast 4 point in the neck.He found it a day and a half later(thanks to ravens)mosttly eaten and pooped all over by Yotes and birds.He saved the rack,green scores 156 as a 4 point.

I`m a boiler room guy all the way.99.999999% certain meat in the freezer.

doubled
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah,as long as you don`t miss the 2 inch wide sweet spot .
guy I work with just got back from a Sask. hunt,shot a beast 4 point in the neck.He found it a day and a half later(thanks to ravens)mosttly eaten and pooped all over by Yotes and birds.He saved the rack,green scores 156 as a 4 point.

I`m a boiler room guy all the way.99.999999% certain meat in the freezer.

My first hit on my big guy this year went through his neck and never hit anything of value. He would have probably gotten away if I did not get a follow up. Didn't even know I hit him there until he was skinned out later on.

Never been a big fan of neck shots unless you can see the whites of their eyes.

green machine
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
it just comes down to if you have guts all over make sure it is dahm clean.

goatdancer
12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Like Kentucky Blue or BC Home Grown Ganga

What type of grass?

CT

I thought there weren't any vegetarians on this site. Must be the ganja.

hunter1947
12-08-2011, 04:09 AM
I say it has nothing to do with your shot my beliefs are what this animal has been eating for the last month could be in a swamp eating new growth ???,I have shot a few WT deer in the stomach on a bad running shot cleaned the deer it tasted like all others I have shot with a clean kill shot..

5 spike
12-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Gutless method...

yes sir the gutless method for sure.

SHACK
12-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I say it has nothing to do with your shot my beliefs are what this animal has been eating for the last month could be in a swamp eating new growth ???.

I think Im going to have to agree here. I have made a few less than ideal shots over the years, archery and rifle, and had the guts "popped" a few times. Even got it on some of the meat, NEVER has this happened to me. Im of the belief its more to do with diet as well!

hunter1947
12-08-2011, 07:02 AM
My thought is how can the stomach parts go through all the meat hind legs back straps etc in just a short time after you have made a stomach shot ???? I might be wrong with my thoughts ???? especially if you can clean whats left of the stomach in 10 min or so.

FatBuck
12-15-2011, 08:27 PM
One other theory I also heard was that the stomach fluid some how got into the blood stream and It was pumped it into the parts of the meat that never touched the stomach contents, so that's why the roasts had the taste. Could that be true?

If it's from a bad shot then hopefully it doesn't happen again, and if it does then I will get all sausage & jerky. I had a bunch of jerky off this deer that tasted fine.

If it is diet then could it be plain old bad luck? Maybe I shouldn't go back to that spot next year?

SVIR-Symon
12-27-2011, 02:57 AM
I think he must of been chowing on bark and stuff..you are what you eat..same idea as a fead lot here in Alberta to make the meat taste good.. if you did gut shot im asuming you got some on the ribs? if you cant thoroughly wash it don't use it..

And when it comes to cutting once your done wash you meat in cold water the colder the better it removes blood from the meat.. and cleans er up.

Spy
12-27-2011, 12:53 PM
If it Smells & tastes like grass,Just smoke it!

hunterdon
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM

No problem with beaver fever. The meat will be cooked. I have washed/cooled deer this way. It's an excellent way to clean and cool meat down especially when taken during early season warm weather and in the morning.

hunterdon
12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
One other theory I also heard was that the stomach fluid some how got into the blood stream and It was pumped it into the parts of the meat that never touched the stomach contents, so that's why the roasts had the taste. Could that be true?

If it's from a bad shot then hopefully it doesn't happen again, and if it does then I will get all sausage & jerky. I had a bunch of jerky off this deer that tasted fine.

If it is diet then could it be plain old bad luck? Maybe I shouldn't go back to that spot next year?

Never thought of it that way before. I think you may have a valid point. Sounds plausible. Good post,