PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cougar hunters

The Silent Stalker
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok, I have been wanting to get a cougar for a couple of years but have never bought a tag. I saw two one morning in Sept and one was 50yrds away on the road. No tag, no shot. Bought a tag the next day. Been hunting as much as I can all fall and have seen 2 bobcats in the last 2 weeks. Well I went for a drive this morning and there, 30yrds, not moving and full broadside standing on the road (FSR Branch road) was a masive Tom. It must have been 10 long(??) I have never seen anything like it. I stopped, put it in park, opened the door slowly, grabbed riflle, and chambered 2. Still hasn't moved. I slid my left leg out and started to slide off my seat to stand behind the door when the cat took 2 steps to the left behind a tree and was out of sight. I closed the door(left open but you know what I mean). I dropped to one knee and started a few doe bleats and watched. What felt like 5 minutes passed so I got up and slowly went to where it was and started looking off the road down into a draw with big rocks and bluffs on the other side. Cougar town. I walked the road 1/3 km back and forth slowly and kept with the doe bleats. I was out there for 20 minutes before I realized how scared I was, lol. I never did see it again and made it back to the truck safely after an hour or so. So my question is, other than being faster and luckier what could I have done to call the cat back? Has anyone got a trick or tip on how to call a cat? I have been thinking about getting a fox pro but I have heard they dont work for cougars? Any one got any tips? Thanks.