PDA

View Full Version : bison check list

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
well its getting close to my hunt so I'm putting my gear together so this is what i have so far....feel free to add your list

propane and torch
chain saw
axe
tarp's and straps
game bags
camera
candles
sleeping bag
quad with trailer
sled with skimmer
rope
gas
tag and map
338 wm
spotting scope and binos

dropshot
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Bullets
Knives
Meat Saw
Warm Clothes including Gloves and Balaclava

12-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Warm, warmer and WARMEST clothing ya can get, snow or sled boots. Hand warmers, toe warmers goggles for running the sled. and a ......

TAG

hahaha

Good Luck to you Jamie !

CT

sparkes3
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
tire chains and a come a long or portable winch ,battery booster pack for truck or quad if the need arises.

dime
12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.deerslayer1.com/My%20check%20%20list%20.html
Very comprehensive list, you do not have to take it all but it is a good reminder

f350ps
12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Snow shovel and jack-all. K

moosinaround
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
About a grand per person, and reservations at the outfitters camp!! Leave the quad at home, and take good comfortable sleds to ride on. Take LOTS of warm clothing, and 2 other people with you. Take a camera, cause the scenery is pretty awesome! It is a frozen winter wonderland! Mile 172 on the Alaska Hwy is a LONG ways to go, and Diesel was anywhere from 1.39-1.43 per liter, so like I said take a Grand with you. It is an adventure and not for the faint of heart. Good luck, and too bad I don't have any more time off, cause I learned lots, and probably wont get to use the knowledge for another 16 yrs! Moosin

moose2
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
What a bison hunter dosn't want to hear " A PACKBOARD " my zone A bison was on the flats so we got the sleds to it. How ever the bison in zone B were up at sub-alpine level and I had to work for it. I was able to drag the halves down the steep slopes on a tarp , but if there had been less snow packing would have been my only option or not get one. Good luck on your hunt I am looking forward to the pictures.
Mike

one-shot-wonder
12-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Bring 2 snowmobiles, better yet 3 you never know!
How do you get to hunt Bison every year???
Thats insane............no seriously insane. Once was enough for this cowboy......bin dar dun dat.

shallowH2O
12-06-2011, 11:37 PM
spare sled belt
spare pull cord
spare spark plugs for sled
and Im sure you'll have this.....

abig ass smile

good luck Jamie!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Bring 2 snowmobiles, better yet 3 you never know!
How do you get to hunt Bison every year???
Thats insane............no seriously insane. Once was enough for this cowboy......bin dar dun dat.
this will be my first year hunting for myself i have been on two other hunts as a fill in when guys partners got hurt or cant hack the cold. have rented a cabin at horse camp
just hope the cabins are set-up well... but I'm not going to bet the farm on it.

moosinaround
12-07-2011, 05:46 AM
spare sled belt
spare pull cord

abig ass smile

good luck Jamie!

Spare fuel line too................................ask me how I know this??!!

fusion
12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Tire chains for your truck!!!

bridger
12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
bring some methylhydrate as gas lines tend to freeze up here due to condensation for both your truck and your sleds. also might be a good idea to phone for an update on snow conditions had a chinook all last week and snow level has dropped considerably. also don't forget the gibson's good luck

tomahawk
12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
this will be my first year hunting for myself i have been on two other hunts as a fill in when guys partners got hurt or cant hack the cold. have rented a cabin at horse camp
just hope the cabins are set-up well... but I'm not going to bet the farm on it.

Hey Jamie

With your knowledge and experience from living right in the Pink Mountain area its only your personal gear and equipment you need to think about and most of it is listed in your thread. Good luck finding the Bison you want, my son was fortunate this year in finding his and i hope you are also.

Tom

tomahawk
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Spare fuel line too................................ask me how I know this??!!

So Mike, when are you going to start a thread about your hunt and include the fuel line story amongst others?? Tom

dropshot
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Cell phone or radio

Foxton Gundogs
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
spare sled belt
spare pull cord

abig ass smile

good luck Jamie!

Tools many many tools(metric)

Good Luck
Stay safe and warm

Drillbit
12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Man, the guy that's helped everyone out on their quest for the mighty Bison, even me.
I'm sure you'll do fine.

You missed the most important thing at the top of the list..........GUMPTION.

'Luck to Ya

GreenFace
12-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Having just gotten back from a successful bison hunt a couple of days ago, in Zone B - all these tips are spot on. I would add bring lots of jerry cans for spare fuel. Also, if you should be "tenting" it - bring lots of spare rope to tie down your tent, tarp and secure that stove pipe - man can those winds blow down the airstrip. I was in a hunting group of five and I anticipate the tag holder will post our story and pic shortly. Awesome trip w/ great guys!
It was our opinion the weather (not severe enough?) had not yet pushed the majority of the bisons in yet - they were still deep in the back end of the valleys.
The area is beautiful, remote and conditions can be harsh.
Good luck. PM me if I can assist further.

moosinaround
12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
So Mike, when are you going to start a thread about your hunt and include the fuel line story amongst others?? Tom
Let me consult with my hunting partner and come up with a really good lie;)!!! Moosin

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Man, the guy that's helped everyone out on their quest for the mighty Bison, even me.
I'm sure you'll do fine.

You missed the most important thing at the top of the list..........GUMPTION.

'Luck to Ya

thanks drillbit i think i have it covered but I'm excited and there has not been enough bison chat this year and there is always something you can learn from someones else's hunt or there mistakes ....lots of good info on here guys !!! keep it up 9 more days to go

M.Dean
12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd say if your taking a Quad, make sure it's got hand warmers, thumb warmers, windshield, and spend the 100 bucks and buy a Electric Vest! I ride in some real cold conditions, minus 12 to minus 25 type weather, I hunt alone on most trips and getting back without freezing to death some times takes a lot of work! I wear Sorels, the big ones, I think there a 5 or 6 part liner thing, they have the big felt liner, then a bunch of different Insoles that keep the cold away for awhile, but not all day! And what I'd take is some Dam good Mitt's, with the shake up hand warmers inside, and a top of the line coat is a must, it's got to be wind proof, be at least 3 layers of dam good material, and have a hood that's easy to fit over a good toque, and keeps your ears real toasty warm! We buy hand and toe warmers by the box now, and believe me, it's bloody nice to be able to stick your hands into a nice warm pocket after holding your rifle for a minute or so with bare hands, waiting for the perfect shot! Have a great trip, take lots of pic's, and all us old, crippled guys will look forward to reading about your Bison Hunt upon your speedy return!!!

ufishifish2
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
If anybody deserves helpful pointers for a bison hunt, I believe it is you! Hmmmmm, what went wrong for us in January that hasn't already been mentioned? If you have one, wear a full face shield helmet. You can crack it open just a bit to see out of, but it will keep your face and head so much warmer than just a toque and belaclava. I can't remember if you listed a knife sharpener. I forgot mine and it was just luck that One-Shot-Wonder and Goatguy were skinning a Bull only 20 yards away from where I was skinning mine.
I still can't believe you forgot bullets and a knife on your original list.
Best of luck to you Jamie.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
If anybody deserves helpful pointers for a bison hunt, I believe it is you! Hmmmmm, what went wrong for us in January that hasn't already been mentioned? If you have one, wear a full face shield helmet. You can crack it open just a bit to see out of, but it will keep your face and head so much warmer than just a toque and belaclava. I can't remember if you listed a knife sharpener. I forgot mine and it was just luck that One-Shot-Wonder and Goatguy were skinning a Bull only 20 yards away from where I was skinning mine.
I still can't believe you forgot bullets and a knife on your original list.
Best of luck to you Jamie.
just re read your thread great to the blood pumping.. didn't forget anything cuz i haven't left yet lol this is why this site kicks ass ...get everyone talking and helping out just with the excitement i might of forgot bullets:shock:

some other things i came up with are snow shoes and shooting sticks siltarp
my msr dragonfly stove

Buck
12-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Roll the hide up right away ask me how i know LOL

asurebet
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
With all your knowledge and experience you will be rewarded. If not mentioned remember a headlamp and or flashlight as it gets dark quickly.
Best of luck Jamie!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
With all your knowledge and experience you will be rewarded. If not mentioned remember a headlamp and or flashlight as it gets dark quickly.
Best of luck Jamie!

good points asurebet..and lots of rope to repair the skimmer when it falls apart not much snow this year hope we get a good dump soon!!!

asurebet
12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Next time i'm bringing cables and shackles! lol

bison2011
12-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Great reminders for myself I'm heading up Jan 15th hopefully you dont shoot mine haha.

tuner
12-19-2011, 08:53 PM
beer n' wiskey!!!