PDA

View Full Version : My late season Mulie...mostly for meat

Buckmeister
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
As of tonight, there is only 4 more days of hunting season left. I've been holding out all season for a big buck, letting lots of smaller bucks walk, but now that the season is winding down, and since I haven't seen a legal buck in 9 days (and I hunted every day), I told myself that the next legal buck I see is going down. If it's not a monster, that is fine, at least I can get some pepperoni and smokies made up.

So I headed up the hill behind the house this evening at about 3:15pm. My plan was to park on a ridge and glass an area where I have seen the deer frequent for feeding in the evening. I was about 100 yards away from where I was going to park when I looked to my left and saw a doe and a buck. At first I thought he was a 3x3, but then he turned and I saw the 4th point that made him a 4x3. I stepped out of the vehicle, he started to trot off. I readied my rifle. I tried macking at him but that only seemed to quicken his pace. He was uphill, walking straight away from me and headed for a gully, I knew I didn't have much time. I brought the gun up, leveled the crosshairs just below the back of his head, pulled the trigger to what I call the secondary position (just before the firing pin is released), everything looked and felt good so I squeezed the tigger the rest of the way. The old Lee-Enfield was bang on target and the buck dropped like a sack of hammers, he was done! It was about a 60 yard shot. Like I said, he's not the big buck I was hopping for, but this late in the season, he will do just fine. I don't care much for tag soup.

Since I was only 3 minutes from the house, I went back down the hill and got my boys to help me dress him out before it got too dark. We just finished hanging and skinning him in the garage a little while ago. Here are a few pics that were taken with my cell phone. It's not a smart phone with a decent camera so the pics are a little fuzzy. Now, I hope to get ahold of a bow so I can go nail a Whitetail in Reg 8.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/resized_pic1.png

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/resized_pic2.png

doubled
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice late season mule, meat in the freezer now.

tristanmac
12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
nothing wrong with him :) nice buck!

mark
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice peperoni buck, B.

Wrayzer
12-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Sometimes passing up bucks holding out for a piss cuter works, sometimes it doesn't, at least ya will have some jerky and roni in the freezer. Myself, I held out passing up bucks until it was too late and didn't cut a tag. Congrats on a successfuil hunt.

rocksteady
Nice... great mullet too !!!

sapper
Ah, yes, another, "I walked out the backyard and shot myself some meat" story. You guys who can knock off work and get a hunt in before coming home for dinner at home have me green with envy. Regardless, congrats on some good steaks, pepperoni, etc.

Buckmeister
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Ah, yes, another, "I walked out the backyard and shot myself some meat" story. You guys who can knock off work and get a hunt in before coming home for dinner at home have me green with envy. Regardless, congrats on some good steaks, pepperoni, etc.

At this time in my life I am absolutely blessed to be living in area that is great mule deer territory and I have the time off work to be able to hunt, so I am VERY thankfull. It won't always be this way, so I will enjoy it while I have it for the time being, and share it with some friends if I can.

coach
12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Yup, that'll do! Well done, buckmeister. Great pics too. Congrats.

Jelvis
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
What MU is dat? Region tree? unit ah if yah can say it?
Jel .. Nahice muley buck up the Nor?

moose2
12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Good looking buck congrats.
Mike

hunter1947
12-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Lots of hamburger pepperoni sausages etc you will get out of this deer ,way to go congrats..

kennyj
12-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Nothing wrong with that one.
kenny

Buckmeister
12-07-2011, 07:57 AM
What MU is dat? Region tree? unit ah if yah can say it?
Jel .. Nahice muley buck up the Nor?

It is a Reg 3 buck Jel....Not from the Nor though....but from an area you have promoted in the past.

markt308
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
good job on the late season deer!

houndsman
12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
well dun Dustin, nice buck .watch for that big tom tract up there & ph me .

Islandeer
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
nice backyarder... gotta love 3 mins from your bed!