PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 hunt next week and ammo questions for 20 ga

wetcoaster
09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Heading to region 5 next week to hopefully tag my doe and get a buck, I'll let you all know how it goes, wish me luck. What has the weather been like? I don't think I should have to much trouble tagging my doe. I also plan to do some bird hunting in the area and have a few questions:

I just came into an older berretta AL2 gas operated semi-auto 20 ga 2-3/4 inch that I will be bringing for grouse and hopefully jumping the odd pond for ducks. I have never used a semi auto before, I bought the run of the mill Federal #6 1 ounce upland shot from Canadian Tire for grouse but then read a brief comment on another site that semi-autos don't cycle one ounce shot? Is this accurate?

The gun has a fixed full choke so I likely won't use steel shot for ducks. Has anybody been using the bismuth or tungsten loads and how have they performed?

Gateholio
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I woudl be surprised if they won't cycle a semi..

hitch
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I grew up hunting grouse in reg. 5 with a rem wingmaster 20 g. I found the best loads to use are 7 1/2 heavy game loads. Make sure you don't shoot any Sharpies. As far as your semi-auto, I have never heard of them not cycling 1 oz. Look for big blues in the draws that drop down to the river. :)

MichelD
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I've got a new-to-me Ithaca Model 37 20 that might be making the same trip.

JeffR
09-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I had a problem with federal shells not cycling in my old remington 12g. I switched to Clever Mirage shells and they worked like a charm. They are 1 1/8 oz though, but I thought the federal was as well. Also, making sure the gas ports were compleatly clean helped the cycling.