PDA

View Full Version : Rip Cord not dropping

igojuone
12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I had a problem with my Rip Cord rest not dropping on my APA King Cobra.
Took it to the shop and told all fixed only to have the problem on very next shot. Took it back and told cams were out of time and adjustment made, all good for the last 3 months of practice until today when roughly 1 of 4 shots the same problem, the rest just doesn't drop. Any thought?

mikeboehm
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Buy a whisker biscuit

igojuone
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, might just do that. I assume that's what your using?

Ike
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
The Ripcord Code Red is working great on my King Cobra

If the rest isn't dropping it would hint that either the length of activation cord is too long and it isn;t timed properly, or the location where it attaches to the bow's cable is wrong and it is out of time.

Since it works for a while and then stops, check that the timing cord is not slipping up the cable. Check where it is served into the cable and make sure it is not moving as you draw. I had to serve the snot out of the thing to keep it from sliding up the bow's down-cable on both my bows.

Since you have had it to a shop it may be that the thing is broken?

Good luck

MerrittBow
12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
2x on the whisker biscuit, love em

Bowzone_Mikey
12-06-2011, 06:14 PM
sounds like either you are slipping and the rope is not served into the cable properly .... if you are using that football clamp .. get rid of it because that is a big POS ..... with the cams being out, I can only assume that your string and cable set is stretching out .... did you just replace the string and cables perhaps?

I am using a Code red on my Elite this year .... even gonna take a stab at paper with it on .... if I dont like it then I will go back to a static rest .... but used it(code red ) for hunting ... and it worked great

Ike
12-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I had the same problem... Trophy taker cured it

Mine was the opposite - Ripcord was the cure for my problem Trophy Taker.....
As for timing on the APA bows, mine hasn't gone out of tune at all and is super easy to tune when I do decide to tweak it.

One more thought: The rest only stays in the upright locked position when you cock the rest after you have put an arrow on it. There is a bearing in the mechanism that cocks the rest up, when you draw the bearing falls into a recess and lets the rest fall. The last little bit of full draw releases the ball inside the rest allowing it to fall when you release the arrow. If it was gummed up or dirty there is a chance the ball bearing may not drop consistently and would cause the rest to stay up. (pm me if you need a better description)

In the worst case scenario you should be able to shoot with the rest starting in the down position and it should work perfectly fine. If you don't cock the rest (i.e just draw with rest in the down position) then it shouldn't stay up because it isn't cocking/lockng that bearing into place.

Cheers

The Dude
12-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Hmmmm...my Ripcord worked fine as many times as I asked it to...... I would suggest serving strength, like others have said, or trigger-string tension. Once it's set up and doesn't move, it's a pretty damn good rest.