PDA

View Full Version : Alberta whitetail trip...

srupp
12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
hmmm Im back from an awesome trip with wonderful friends, we were a bit too early as the weather was just starting to push the big bucks.

We saw lots of white tails none big enough to remove the duct tape from my shooting finger..:mrgreen:

what surprised me was the amount of moose 14 or so in 5 days..some under 40 yards.

Pushing bush produced LOTS OF EXCITEMENT..the boyz knew the area..

last evening I was sitting in a chair blind..(too small for a heater thank goodness for hot packs..) -30 ...

The evening before saw of does..whities....

However last evening last light..out walks a line of 6 does...followed by a MONSTER BUCK...he had a laundry basket sized non typicall gnarly rack going up-down sideways...absolutely by far..by over 30% the biggest racked deer I have seen..ever...here he was standing broaside at 45 yards, legal season, legal light..but was a damn MUELY...checked the tail as the rack was just a rootball ..couldnt tell what the hell he was from that...all the does were mulies..so said his tail...

Since I have been back I have checked for photos...and cant even find a picture close enough...he was a KEEPER for all times...was REALLY hard watching him for 5 minutes wanting desperatley to pull the pin..but couldnt tag him....

great trip..LOTS of game...didnt need to harvest any does...did help Zumbo with butchering his moose...3 hrs from quarters hanging till cut wrapped steaks roasts wrapped done...no stitches either,,:-D

Thanks again to the ALBERTA CREW..couldnt have been better..

cheers

Steven Rupp

bowhunterbruce
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
sorry to hear ya didn't nail a whitey steve.by chance did you get any pics of the cranker non typical muley for us to have a look at

cainer
12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I know the feeling srupp-nothing worse tHan staring at a monster buck with no other choice but to just look. Maybe next year? Can you even hunt mulies in Alberta?

Drillbit
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Yep, there's Nothing like pushing Whitetails with a good crew that knows the land. Definately Lots of Excitement.

Good to hear you had a great trip, in the end, that's all that matters.

srupp
12-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Cainer I had the muley draw LAST year..lol of course...hmmm no photos..at that time my heart was pounding out of my chest so loud Im sure the buck would hear it..man never been that nervous..not even on my wedding day....

great times

Steven

Call of the Wild
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip Steven but for that MONSTER muley all I can say it’s exactly like those famous fishing story that the biggest pike snap the line few feet from the boat. Without a picture it’s just a story.:-D:-D

Ah well there’s always next year, roughly what area were you hunting (North, South, central West)?

srupp
12-09-2011, 09:19 AM
north east...near Sask border....

no trip next year..maybe 2013....

big bodied deer, lots of geese, crazy big non typical...and its so funny to see moose running around alpalpha fields...wheat,,, and the little round willow rings....

steven

Springer
12-09-2011, 07:57 PM
It may take until 2013 until the Deer Population starts to come back around, maybe longer with this mismanaged system of culling so many Deer.
The tough winters we have had have been tough on the Antelope as well.
I saw a few decent Muley Bucks as well this year .
Not sure why Steve packs that big fancy camera back and forth from the provinces and does not use it. He should get an I-phone that will take pics and he can keep busy playing games on it while sitting in the Blind...If only they can get an App for it that keeps you warm as well while awaiting in the snow storm. For now it will have to be Old-fashioned handwarmers.

srupp
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
ouch!..sniff sniff...

steven

Mik
12-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Too bad on the whitey, but all in all, it sounds like you had a great trip.

Springer
12-10-2011, 12:20 PM
What was I thinking , you are always so prompt sharing your pictures on here...silly me.
ouch!..sniff sniff...

steven

srupp
12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
hILARIOUS..LOL..I did have a wonderful trip, and enjoyed it all..even the -30 siiting in a chair blind..

Thanks Bro...

cheers

Elmer FuddRuppster

mountainman
12-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Sounds like a good trip. I got out for a couple days but never saw the monster either.

srupp
12-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Joe....it really was an awesome hunt and no matter where we went we did see animals..deer, moose, coyotes...ya I could have come home witha whitetail, and a couple of does but the reason to be there was great friends, sitting in the cold seat lol....and for the chance at a monster whitetail..

was a bit bummed I couldnt shoot the muley...but thats how it goes...2 years will go fast..

Next winter it will be Gulf of Mexico for 13 days fishing for yellow fin tuna..cows and super cow sized..(200..300 pounds|!!)

steven

ruttinbuck
12-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Moose in the alfalfa huh!!
Did you get to see one on its knees to eat the cut crop?
That is a sight to see,could'nt believe it when I saw that.
Sounds like the trip was a good one ruppster all the best of the season to you and Susan.
RB

srupp
12-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks RB...GREAT to hear from you...Merry Christmas...

Steven

Springer
12-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Moose in the alfalfa huh!!
Did you get to see one on its knees to eat the cut crop?
That is a sight to see,could'nt believe it when I saw that.
Sounds like the trip was a good one ruppster all the best of the season to you and Susan.
RB

RB I try to keep my camera close at hand for quick pics that you may only get a quick chance for..heres one from the trip ,not on his knees but hanging around the cut crop.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC03084.jpg
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC03085.jpg

Just a cheapo camera because of the abuse gear gets along the trail but you get the idea. I am sure Steve took pics with his but..............

BCRiverBoater
12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Just a cheapo camera because of the abuse gear gets along the trail but you get the idea. I am sure Steve took pics with his but..............

Wow that is a neat trick. Steve how do you take pics with your butt? How is the quality? haha

bruin
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. Prairie hunters are a different breed aren't they! Trips like that make pulling the trigger so much sweeter. Maybe next year.

srupp
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow that is a neat trick. Steve how do you take pics with your butt? How is the quality? haha

shitty...lol..

steven

Springer
12-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Not only were the But pictures surprising so was seeing the Lone Rooster where we did this far North East.Apparently there was a hen as well , so say's the Srupp.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC03076.jpg
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSC03077.jpg

kennyj
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Glad you had a good trip. Must have been awesome seeing the NT mulie of many lifetimes. Hope you have a tag next time.
kenny