PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting around kamloops

Grousedaddy
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello HBC ers where would b a good location to hunt these pests around kamloops!!! I know nothing atall about hunting coyotes but i am goin to try this saturday any and all help would b great!! The way i c it the more of those pests down the better so help a guy out lOl thx alot guys

swampthing
12-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Hit the open country and cover lots of ground. An atv is good for this. When you spot one, keep right on cruising, so you dont spook it. Plan a stalk, know the wind direction ahead of time. East and south of kamloops are decent spots. Watch for private land south of kamloops [ old merritt hwy]. Sight in for 300 yards and prepare to shoot further.

olharley guy
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Howdy, went to Kamloops last Friday - saw 3 between Cache Creek and Savona -all in open fields at about 300+ yards from the highway. Not sure if allowed to hunt in the cut down hay fields but wouldn't hurt to check it out with whoever owns the area. No homes etc. in the immediate areas. Later

Str8shooterbc
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
It is illegal according to the BC Hunting Regulation to hunt private land without permission. If it is enclosed by a fence it is a good bet it is private land.

Saying that, a responsible hunter can gain access to good huntable land by asking. It is a great idea to make sure you get the land owner's mailing address and send a Christmas card at the very least to ensure you will be welcome to hunt the land again. It is an even better idea to include a nice bottle of Whiskey with that card if you have a good successful time on his land. It is incredible how that bottle of whiskey opens up his neighbours and friends land as well.

For $150 a year you just might get the best of the best hunting in BC.

meat eater
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
get yourself a rabbitt call an let er rip!!!

.300wsm
12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
if you have a i phone get the predator call app it works

pazz0
12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Watch for private land south of kamloops [old merritt hwy]

What is the current name for the OMH? Is it the 5A?

Grousedaddy
12-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys i have some more detailed questions like is there a good time of day to hunt at and does elevation play a factor? How about snow and such do they tend to move lower when it does? Thanks alot allthis info is much appreciated

Str8shooterbc
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Coyotes will eat a lot of field mice. That's why they are in those field you mentioned. If you watch them for a while they will jump and land hard. So if you waht to set up a calling situation and you see them in the fields try setting up at the field edge with the wind blowing at 1/4 toward you. Watch that quarter most then start calling. It won't be long, less that 10 minutes unless they have been called before.

Why 1/4 angle?? They will work around you otherwise.

olharley guy
12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys i have some more detailed questions like is there a good time of day to hunt at and does elevation play a factor? How about snow and such do they tend to move lower when it does? Thanks alot allthis info is much appreciated

Howdy, the 3 we saw was between 9 and 10 in the am. And yes they were hunting for mice -bare fields, no snow. Later

todbartell
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
early morning I've found to be the best. Keep an eye out downwind, make sure your scent is carrying away from you into the open so you can watch. They'll almost always circle downwind. Stay hidden in the shadows and try to break up your outline. Keep movement to a minimum. Be prepared right away before calling, I've had them come in as early as a minute but also sit for at least 20-30 minutes or more, if you got "that feeling"

have fun

Str8shooterbc
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh sorry quarter angle where the wind blows across. If wind is blowing from left to right pay attention to your right side.

Grousedaddy
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
How do the mouth operated rabbit calls wrk? I dont think i want to spend 300$ on an electric call yet are the 20$ rabbit calls any good?

keithb7
12-09-2011, 07:36 AM
How do the mouth operated rabbit calls wrk? I dont think i want to spend 300$ on an electric call yet are the 20$ rabbit calls any good?

I called in my first Yote with a cheap wounded rabbit caller. He was not in a field. I see a ton of tracks in slashes where there are also lots of rabbit tracks. You can easily see tracks in the snow. I have seen them almost everywhere I have hunted this fall around Kamloops. I am looking forward to a fun winter with lots of Yote hunting.

skibum
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Doe bleep can brought one in 20 yard around Paska Lake, must of thought it was a fawn

Grousedaddy
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I just picked up an electric call for 80$ has a 50 yard wireless controller and 5 pre set call and its loud hope it will bring those coyotes in range of my gun goin to try up behind batch and o connor lk seen some sign up there and with the grasslands fairly close i hope to have some success let u all know tomorrow how i make out

dave_83golf
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Just one thought, and take it for what its worth... Saturday is the last day for m$ule deer season around here. If you only have saturday then cool, but if you could postpone it a day, you never know, one lucky hunter might appreciate it ...

Str8shooterbc
12-09-2011, 06:32 PM

The hand held calls you blow into work great! I have used them extensively 25 years ago when electronic calls were not legal for use on Coyotes and Wolves. I still use them as they are much lighter and easier to carry than a cumbersome electronic call. The nice thing about electronic calls is that they have so many sounds ranging from fawns or goats and Moose calves to various rabbits and birds. Coyote and Wolf howls for location are also available.

I also use mine for Crow shooting. Play an Owl and Crow fight in September when there are lots of young birds around and you have to carry a lot of ammo because shooting will be fast and furious.

When Coyote calling, get good camo and sit in front of a bush or tree. If you get behind a blind you have to continually look over it and the sharp eyed Coyote will pick it up easily. Coyotes and Foxes come in fast and so you can move out after 15 to 20 minutes of non-productive calling. DON'T OVER CALL. Call for a bit, then stop, then call again.

Wolves are constantly on the move and prefer larger game like Deer or Moose so you need to use those sounds for best results.

Cats can be called but that is only for a seasoned caller as it takes time, patience and experience. I have heard that a raven sound can call in Cats well because Ravens are scavengers and Ravens can mark a kill by sitting and "talking about it".

Anyway all predators and, my understanding, most animals can be called for various reasons. BTW fish are predators and so Rapella and others have wounded fish sounds like the “Rattling Rapella” on the market.

Ken Olychick

Grousedaddy
12-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I already bagged a 4x3 in oct

Str8shooterbc
12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
4x3 what? With an electronic game call??

Grousedaddy
12-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Haha ya right i wouldnt use an electric call for deer i bagged it up jamieson creek area not much of a story we were headin home and looked into a little pocket and there he was!!

Grousedaddy
12-10-2011, 09:19 AM
4x3 mule deer forgot to add that for ya

fumder
12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
so i went out behind monte hills, and started calling. first few places i didn't get an anwser, the snow hampered me from driving any higher up the road, so i went back nearer to the valley bottom. finally i had an answer, sounded like a pair yodeling back at me... but i have no idea what to do next. i played with them a bit using a howl mouth call (hot dog) they sounded close, but still in the timber, who knows how far. i changed up to a wounded rabbit (electronic call) and it went dead quiet. no more anwsers, never saw a coyote.

i am wondering if what i did was totally wrong? should i have kept yelping? should i have gone quiet? it's all part of a learning curve, but i have no one to ask advice from, none of my friends hunt coyote!