PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Hunting

vip_ruger
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Is anybody with hounds that hunt cougars willing to take out a fellow resident hunter for cat hunting i will cover the costs of fuel and ext.. as well take them out for regoin 7b hunt for moose elk deer bear or goat. There are not many aound here so i will have to travel but have a great work schedule week on and week off ?

BlacktailStalker
12-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Jesus do these threads ever end ?
Do a search on this topic...

BiG Boar
12-06-2011, 07:40 AM
This is a forum, with new members coming on every year. So in short.....no
These people don't know, as I didn't when I signed up, and probably as you didn't at some point in your life.

BCHunterTV
12-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Is anybody with hounds that hunt cougars willing to take out a fellow resident hunter for cat hunting i will cover the costs of fuel and ext.. as well take them out for regoin 7b hunt for moose elk deer bear or goat. There are not many aound here so i will have to travel but have a great work schedule week on and week off ?

Is it even legal to trade something for a cat hunt???

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
why be a dick BS ? you didnt have to read this thread u choice to!

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Is it even legal to trade something for a cat hunt???

Would it make a difference if it was a moose or deer hunt?? Unless I am missing something guys will hook up all the time for hunts and share costs in a variety of ways so what else is new?? It's not illegal to make new friends, hunt together, and make a cost sharing arrangement.

BCHunterTV
12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
No..lol

It's one thing to share the costs of a hunt among friends. He was requesting a trade, that's what I was questioning.

Would it make a difference if it was a moose or deer hunt?? Unless I am missing something guys will hook up all the time for hunts and share costs in a variety of ways so what else is new?? It's not illegal to make new friends, hunt together, and make a cost sharing arrangement.

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Thats why i said local resident and what would be the problem with it ?

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
No..lol

It's one thing to share the costs of a hunt among friends. He was requesting a trade, that's what I was questioning.

Same difference.......he doesn't hunt cats and doesn't have the proper equipment and know how, perhaps the cat hunter has never been on a goat hunt.....
all kinds of new lifelong friendships are forged this way every hunting season. It's not illegal.

BCHunterTV
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
That's good then, I myself thought it was illegal to trade hunts or make deals like this...

Same difference.......he doesn't hunt cats and doesn't have the proper equipment and know how, perhaps the cat hunter has never been on a goat hunt.....
all kinds of new lifelong friendships are forged this way every hunting season. It's not illegal.

Barracuda
12-06-2011, 08:34 AM
hounds are the fly in the ointment so it is actually a no no to give/take compensation or the promise of compensation when someone with hounds is essentially provideing a service.

Talk to the CO in the area he may or may not not have an issue with a couple of friends shareing cost even though only one owns the hounds. Makes sure you mention that this is in regards to hound hunting so at least you get the straight goods.

The problem is there are some hounders that take compensation for what is illegal guiding which makes all hounders a huge target.

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
hounds are the fly in the ointment so it is actually a no no to give/take compensation or the promise of compensation when someone with hounds is essentially provideing a service.

Talk to the CO in the area he may or may not not have an issue with a couple of friends shareing cost even though only one owns the hounds. Makes sure you mention that this is in regards to hound hunting so at least you get the straight goods.

The problem is there are some hounders that take compensation for what is illegal guiding which makes all hounders a huge target.

So I guess if you go on a duck/goose hunt with your buddy that has a lab that it would be a sticky situation for you to offer and pay half the expenses?? I can't believe anyone could be so mislead. Think about it.

Barracuda
12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
give the CO a call for the area you want to be in and get thier view.

splitting the cost is one thing but all expenses paid is compensation for the use of the dogs and houndsmans time.

you should know all this

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with what you want and everything to do with how a an LEO will see the situation.

there is nothing more that a houndsman would like then to lesson the costs and hunt more

Think about it

BCHunterTV
12-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I do know there is nothing illegal with friends taggin along and sharing costs ...but was urged to have everyone with tags because if they are walking dogs, personally looking for dogs, using a tracking system for even a second etc. (ie: hunting the dogs.) they'd be hunting and pursuing

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
So because My dog is a pack dog . and we went goat hunting and he packed your gear up the mountain that would be illegal be hes a pack dog . think about it it considered friend hunting together.

BCHunterTV
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
The lab doesn't search and locate the game like hounds, they recover. A big difference

So I guess if you go on a duck/goose hunt with your buddy that has a lab that it would be a sticky situation for you to offer and pay half the expenses?? I can't believe anyone could be so mislead. Think about it.

BiG Boar
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
What if two houndsmen go out together, but one of their dogs isn't able to locate? Is that illegal guiding?

Barracuda
12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
thats why its called hunting .

seriously.
contact the CO leave your name and number and they will get back to you .

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I do know there is nothing illegal with friends taggin along and sharing costs ...but was urged to have everyone with tags because if they are walking dogs, personally looking for dogs, using a tracking system for even a second etc. (ie: hunting the dogs.) they'd be hunting and pursuing

Come on guys...get real. I took my wife along duck hunt, she doesn't hunt she was just tagging along. Your trying to tell me if she has anything to do with my gun dog that she is legally hunting......give it a rest, it's BS.

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
So just talked to the CO and he said its legal as long as the person i was trading with, wasn't making a profit off of me. If they were then it would be illegal guiding . there is no issuse with me paying for the fuel either !!

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
thats why its called hunting .

seriously.
contact the CO leave your name and number and they will get back to you .

One year I bumped into a CO in 7B...they had recently move an MU boundary away from the river and made it run overland, so I asked him to mark my map to where they had moved it.....he didn't have a friggin' clue. The point is that the CO isn't always right and doesn't always have the right answer. If you call them with this question the safe answer for them is to discourage you, you know they have to be careful to not tell something is legal when its not??

The only way doing a shared hunt could possibly be considered guiding is if the fellow with the special gear is walking away with cash in his pocket. Guides don't work for half the gas money, don't be ridiculous.

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks canuckshooter

12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I remember a hunt 3 years ago where my partner bought me a bottle of port because we were using my trailer...shit...my days of peacefull sleep are over!

Barracuda
12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
So just talked to the CO and he said its legal as long as the person i was trading with, wasn't making a profit off of me. If they were then it would be illegal guiding . there is no issuse with me paying for the fuel either !!

what time does your local office open?

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I remember a hunt 3 years ago where my partner bought me a bottle of port because we were using my trailer...shit...my days of peacefull sleep are over!

Your a bad bad man!! LOL

Sitkaspruce
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
The right answer is if you pay more than the actual total expenses for the day (gas and maybe food), then the owner of the dogs are making a profit and that is considered guiding. That inclides tiping the owner........

I know a couple people who were taken out to chase cats and wereasked by the dog owner to cover the wear and tear on the truck and the cost of feeding the dogs for a few days.....making a profit and that is looked at as guiding.

If you split the costs, no problem.

Same as you take me cat hunting and cover the costs and I take you fishing and cover the costs, no problems.

No profit, no illegal activity.

Cheers

SS

curt
12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
it appears to me the end of the hunting season blue's have hit already, a whole lot of BLAH BLAH BLAH if guys are willing to help eachother out on here and possibly make a new hunting partner out of it then wtf is the big deal!?!?

digger dogger
12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
get asked almost every time I go into a public place with my dogs.
Q:Are those cougar hunting dogs?
A:yup.
A:They are so cool looking!
A:yup.
Q:are they expencive.
A:some of them.
Q:could you take me out cat hunting?
A:No, sorry man.
Q:(statement) I could pay you.
A:f*** no, I'm not a outfitter and what you just asked me is highly illegal!!
Q:(statement)nobody has to know.
A: BEAT IT, I said NO..

I spent $3200 on dog food alone last year, then picked up shit 365 days a year. (mostly kids work there). seperated dog fights, stitches, meds, dewormer, ear cleaning, whelping box sanitizing, puppies barking early mornings, paying someone to take care of the dogs while on vacation, visiting family, or even being in the hospital, ect.
If anyone has asked, I have said no.
Part of why guys with hounds dont usually take out guys they dont really know is, if you get stopped by a c.o, and he realizes you guys dont really know each other, it looks bad in his eyes..(illegal guiding) You may get lucky tho, out of the blue I "ASKED" big boar to go out last year with no promises of shooting a cat. We have become good friends,(our woman aswell) from me ASKING him to go on a hunt.
after a few times out, I got a feeling Dave was in it for the hunt(learning about dog hunting) aswell as the possibilty of a cat.
After I let Dave take a bobcat, he wanted to go out even on the days we were with my sons, and friends with dogs themselves.(0 chance of him shooting a cat)
I would suggest, buy a hound pup, and try to befriend someone with dogs that actually catch cats, then you could have some say if a cat is going to be harvested, and train your pup at the same time. Part of the reason guys with hounds dont usually go out with guys they dont know well is, if a c.o stops you and realizes you 2-3 guys dont really know each other it looks awfully suspitious that there is some illegal guiding happening. They will take your dogs(and worse) till things get figured out.. (Hopefully)
If Dave had asked me thru a p.m to go out with me hunting,(i would have said no)
good luck, there is a chance :-)
Dave.
sorry I said part of this twice.. dont wanna edit it..

Philcott
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Digger,

I can see where you're coming from. Much easier to just say no. I'm sure the last thing you want to have happen is loose your dogs, even for a short time, over a misunderstanding.

To bad for guys hoping to experience the thrill of the chase but the decision is yours to make.

Have a great cat season.

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I got invited to join in on a cat hunt with experienced cat hunters...if i took them up on it I would expect to kick in for expenses, and I sure wouldn't consider it guiding in any sense. I think the problems arise when those that own guide territories see other cat hunters in their area and complain.

digger dogger
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
QUOTE=CanuckShooter;1034139]I got invited to join in on a cat hunt with experienced cat hunters...if i took them up on it I would expect to kick in for expenses, and I sure wouldn't consider it guiding in any sense. I think the problems arise when those that own guide territories see other cat hunters in their area and complain.[/QUOTE]

You are right, c.s and also there are guys out there that will guide illegally aswell. The c.o has to wade thru shit, to figure out who's who, and what's what. guiding or just simply hunting.. Or long term friends, or new aquaintances. The way I look at it is if I ask someone that I dont know well, to go out hunting, for e.g Big Boar last year, I asked him to come out, he didnt ask me! And left a trail to me asking him. p.m'd him, and e-mails, A c.o could see that I asked him to go out. (no benifiet to me) Less questions on his mind..

Barracuda
12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Thats really it.

Some houndsman decides to take advantage of haveing hounds and get compensated in one form or another or a person or people dont want houndsmen in thier area and it ends up painting a target on every houndsman so it is less fuss to exclude . Most houndsmen are pretty choosey who they take out as they have alot at stake.

Shareing consumable costs is one thing but anything above that is compensation (gifts ,tips favours etc), makeing an exclusive arraingement to swap a hunt is also considered compensation .

Now friends simply shareing hunts takeing each other out hunting isnt an issue or a houndsman takeing out a new person and introducing them to the sport isnt an issue.

A cold call from someone you dont know for a hound hunt or sheep hunt, etc and a bartered deal of a reciprical hunt or financial compensation is an issue.

vip_ruger
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
what time does your local office open?

it opens at nine oclock and i talked to the guy in fsj where we a hour ahead of u southerners