PDA

View Full Version : bison help please

whitebirch
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
wanting to put in for a bison draw but dont want it wasted on me unless its practical to do.

I dont have a snow mobile nor an atv.

Time of year is irrelevant for me, but of course if I need a snow mobile for a jan hunt then im not interested. Of course I would steer towards the best draw odds.

Any veterans who have taken one of these beasts chime in?

much appreciated any info you can share

boxhitch
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
practical ? only you know your resources and potential.
Lots of past threads from each years hunters, with the how and when included.
All equipment can be rented, cabins can be booked, bag warmers hired , etc
You decide

whitebirch
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
yes, practical.
I want to drive up there, and hunt by truck and hiking. I hope that helps - i.e. I dont want to hire/rent everything in the world.
did a quick search and didnt find a lot that people didnt discuss atv/snow mobile. clearly I should dig further.

12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
It's my understanding if your not willing to take ATV and Snow Machines, then the early hunt is your only chance. And good luck hiking it out from a far distance as they can BE HUGE!

You can't go far without a ATV or Snow Machine by the sounds of it. My success came in December with sleds and skimmers. Damn ccccooolldd but a great trip. Yes I always apply, 1 LEH for 16 years of trying!

It's a once in a life time experience for some, drop some coin and do it right !

The MEAT IS FABULOUS and the RUG IS Beautiful !

CT

whitebirch
12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
It's my understanding if your not willing to take ATV and Snow Machines, then the early hunt is your only chance. And good luck hiking it out from a far distance as they can BE HUGE!

You can't go far without a ATV or Snow Machine by the sounds of it. My success came in December with sleds and skimmers. Damn ccccooolldd but a great trip. Yes I always apply, 1 LEH for 16 years of trying!

It's a once in a life time experience for some, drop some coin and do it right !

The MEAT IS FABULOUS and the RUG IS Beautiful !

CT

thanks for the input.
going to try for the early season ones, but well see!

were you succesful? pics?

BiG Boar
12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Its expensive to do. Start with an 1800 KM drive, round trip. For any of the snow hunts you will need a snow mobile. I think it turns into a $3000 hunt fairly easily. That is "if" you have all the gear already. Then you got between $1300 and $2500 for taxidermy.

Its a serious hunt for the serious hunter. Not for someone unprepared. Good for you though looking into what goes into it before you apply. I bet 50% of the draws don't even show up.

whitebirch
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks BB
Exactly my intent - too much coin or not enough time I won't even put in.

If I'm under-geared ie no quad, no worries. Just means no bison draw for me!

David Heitsman
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Put in for the draw on the Sikanni, worry about how to pay for it if you ever get drawn. If you get lucky then take your best VISA card, call Sikanni River Outfitters and book them, to help you. It used to be around $2500, I have no idea how much now. Pay for it over a couple years or pay for it with the money that you set aside all the years you waited to get drawn and enjoy your lifetime trophy.

Kill a cow or youngster and enjoy the tablefare or kill an old monster and grind up everything including the backstraps!

tomahawk
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Well where do i start. I have been in on 4 bulls on the ground, last one was a few days ago.

Firstly there is NO truck access so your choice of "i want to hunt by truck and hiking" is not possible due to vehicle restrictions. Hike all you like but no trucks allowed. Secondly unless you get the first draw or maybe two of the year the bison are wary and move due to pressure from hunters. Logisticly this is a tough hunt for everyone and especially for first time draw winners. If you dont use a quad or sled then you will need some luck to get your meat down, field dressed and then out so it does not spoil or rot. The drive from Vancouver is over 1500 km "one way". If you get serious about the hunt i can try and answer any questions you have via PM, i have done this hunt 5 times in area "B" and its not an easy prep or hunt to take on.

moosinaround
12-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Well where do i start. I have been in on 4 bulls on the ground, last one was a few days ago.

Firstly there is NO truck access so your choice of "i want to hunt by truck and hiking" is not possible due to vehicle restrictions. Hike all you like but no trucks allowed. Secondly unless you get the first draw or maybe two of the year the bison are wary and move due to pressure from hunters. Logisticly this is a tough hunt for everyone and especially for first time draw winners. If you dont use a quad or sled then you will need some luck to get your meat down, field dressed and then out so it does not spoil or rot. The drive from Vancouver is over 1500 km "one way". If you get serious about the hunt i can try and answer any questions you have via PM, i have done this hunt 5 times in area "B" and its not an easy prep or hunt to take on.

Tell me about it!!;) Moosin

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-06-2011, 06:36 AM
there is a small area where you hunt with a pick up in area A and B but your chances are much higher with a quad or sled

CanuckShooter
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
wanting to put in for a bison draw but dont want it wasted on me unless its practical to do.

I dont have a snow mobile nor an atv.

Time of year is irrelevant for me, but of course if I need a snow mobile for a jan hunt then im not interested. Of course I would steer towards the best draw odds.

Any veterans who have taken one of these beasts chime in?

much appreciated any info you can share

They don't give out buff draws for august.......and it snows up there...so there must be some relevance in regards to the time of year.

curt
12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Well havent done this hunt before and taken 2 Bison it totally depends on which herd you want to hunt it sounds like to me your only option is the zone A towards Pink MTN you will need to give up your 1st born to the natives to travel through their land but the zone B herd requires lots of gear and machines we had 6 guys and I thought good thing we did it was an incredible amount of work so be prepared for that!!

asurebet
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
We were their last year at exactly this time, I took a cow at 57 kms from the Blueberry Indian Reserve! This is a expensive hunt and you need a quad and or snow machines, too far for a hike. Good Luck if your drawn, hunt of a lifetime. Just know what your getting into!

fearnodeer
12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
If you don't want to spend the money or go prepared (ie) quad or snowmobile don't put in, but if you do you will have the hunt of a lifetime.

moosinaround
12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
We were their last year at exactly this time, I took a cow at 57 kms from the Blueberry Indian Reserve! This is a expensive hunt and you need a quad and or snow machines, too far for a hike. Good Luck if your drawn, hunt of a lifetime. Just know what your getting into!

If you don't want to spend the money or go prepared (ie) quad or snowmobile don't put in, but if you do you will have the hunt of a lifetime.

After going up there and spending a few days, it is beautiful country! Hunt of a lifetime, only because it takes a lifetime to get a Fackin tag! I am going to go back up there again if I get another tag, but only because I have some unfinished business with those shaggy Fackin beasts! After that, I am done hunting bison. I will go back there though to hunt for all the elk I seen!!! Elk on every freakin loaf!! Chetwynd holds NOTHING to the amount of elk I seen up there along the Sikanni! So 16 more years of planning for the next one?? Probably!! Good luck up there, she's a long ways to go!! Moosin

tomahawk
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
After going up there and spending a few days, it is beautiful country! Hunt of a lifetime, only because it takes a lifetime to get a Fackin tag! I am going to go back up there again if I get another tag, but only because I have some unfinished business with those shaggy Fackin beasts! After that, I am done hunting bison. I will go back there though to hunt for all the elk I seen!!! Elk on every freakin loaf!! Chetwynd holds NOTHING to the amount of elk I seen up there along the Sikanni! So 16 more years of planning for the next one?? Probably!! Good luck up there, she's a long ways to go!! Moosin

Hey Mike

During their open season the elk are not thick like now on the hills . I have seen at least 3 monsterous book bulls on the tops of those northern hills on the previous hunts I have been on in the valley, bulls of most elk hunters dreams for sure.

Tom

Buck
12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
If you don't have a Quad or snowmobile just forget it not worth the expense of driving up there.This is a very tough hunt most people don't understand how challenging it can be.

whitebirch
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Thans for the info gents but without a quad or snow mobile, and dropping upwards of $2k it's tough to do. Coupled with other species I want to harvest I'll put this later on my list. Thanks for saving me the leh fee

ufishifish2
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I think your decision is wise right now Whitebirch. As others have said, you really do have to be prepared for this hunt. It demands gear such as quads/sleds because you can't hoof an entire bison out to the truck. Hell, it took two grown men all we had to lift the rug and head off the snow and into the skimmer.

moose2
12-07-2011, 05:46 AM
I think your decision is wise right now Whitebirch. As others have said, you really do have to be prepared for this hunt. It demands gear such as quads/sleds because you can't hoof an entire bison out to the truck. Hell, it took two grown men all we had to lift the rug and head off the snow and into the skimmer.

To add to this the big bull I got died in a laying position with its legs underneath him. Two of us could not flip him we had to pull it over with a sled. It was also -45 that day and our saws wouldn't run either. Its a very challenging hunt at best. The head and hide were awesome and the meat was to tough to enjoy. I have had tags and have gotten bison from both areas PM me if you need more info. As far as putting in for the draw I would they are hard to get so if the planning and money have to show up after you get a tag its worth it to do it at least once. Another thing to keep in mind is the bullet size restrictions this could mean obtaining a firearm if your current one dosn't make it.
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/bison_1996.jpg (javascript:;)

afors
12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
This is the one tag you can return to the ministry due to the high demand for it. If you don't enter you will never get the draw.

If you do enter and you de get the draw but realize you do not have the means to go for what ever reason, then contact the ministry, tell them you do not want it, they will redraw and give it to someone else and your odds are not reduced...

whitebirch
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
great info, guys.
firearm is not a problem. I would take a .300 win mag.
vehicles are the issue.

tomahawk
12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
great info, guys.
firearm is not a problem. I would take a .300 win mag.
vehicles are the issue.

IMHO, If you dont have quads and snowmobiles at your disposal or can't afford to rent them, and dont have the $$ for the rest of the cost of this trip there is NO point in putting in for the draw. Returning the tag is an option as was mentioned by Afors, however it is not really fair to the next guy in line to have his time for preparation cut because of someone who put in for the draw and never could or would be able to do this trip!

bowhunterbruce
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
if i had been in this position for whatever reason,i would beg, borrow anything and everything i could to make this hunt happen.it's a once in a lifetime hunt that i would completly exhaust every avenue to make happen.as others have said though, if i couldnt make it happen then giving it back to be re-allocated to someone else would be the right thing to do.

Ry151
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
you can rent quads and sleds in Fort st John, ive herd that peace country rentals is around $125/ day for a quad. Ive never hunted bison but have hunted that area and like most say quads, sleds or pack horses are manditory gear because of the vehical restrictions in most area. That being said my buddy when up 2 years ago in october and shot one 50 yards off a road and pulled it out in his pick-up so it can be done.

whitebirch
12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I can borrow quads , or rent sleds.
Wanting to drop that kind of coin versus being able too are too different things.

Not this year - so thanks for h elping me understand this hunt more.