PDA

View Full Version : My hunting season PT2

TheDark
12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
So back to region 8

It’s well into hunting season, my girls step father brings back an early season 4x5 mulie the day I get back.
Well not knowing anything really about mulies, whitetail or the area I was kind of at a loss wondering if my hunting season for deer was going to be a bust.

I did a lot of road hunting this season I won’t lie, as I spent most of the time as a passenger being shown around (thank you). I made it out quite a bit on my own but found out too late that mulies migrate.

Ah well next year right? So there’s a white tail doe season. Well I guess that’s next on my list. Not much of a story, but I bagged myself a really nice doe. First whitetail ever and first mainland deer. Man are these things huge compare to island deer.

I unfortunately did not have my camera, oh well.

Next up, I began by getting lost once after dark, found out the hard way my GPS didn’t have the roads to the area I was in. After hours of pounding the road I came across a campsite, thank god. Amazing how easy it is to get turned around in the dark.

Lesson learned.

I had found a great spot not too far from town, seen a ton of sign and more then a few deer. I had a plan to hike the ridge once I narrowed down the tails that they seemed to move along the most.

Driving though the slash to the trail head I spot movement about a hundred yards out my window up the hill. Stop and glass. Yep it has horns.
I contemplate it’s just a spike. It’s still early in the season for white tail so I am told at the point. But I don’t know the area all that well. So I decide I won’t push my luck, I turn off the truck and get out.

This is just the type on scenario that I dreaded as I pulled out the old marlin. An easy hundred yard with my .308 my usual go to rig, but I had planned to go timber hunting and brought the 30-30
I got down on one knee steady all I could see of the deer at this point was shoulders and head staring back at me from behind log.

Drop the cross hairs slowly and pull aiming for the base of the neck where the spine is. The smoke clears and the deer is gone. I reload and check the log for signs of blood or anything else showing the deer is down. I barely see some scrubs are moving around then a leg in the air. Yep it’s down.

The rest is history! First animal I’ve taken with this old gun! I couldn’t have been happier!

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/StephenR6/019.jpg

Ok, so last but not least. I have one more tag to fill. Do I drive into another region and look for Mulies? I don’t really feel like wasting gas or time in a area which I don’t know looking for a 4 point or better. The odds seemed to be against me. So where else can I use this tag?

I know! Vancouver Island. I know of some really good spots now as I’ve spent the last two years hunting it unsuccessfully due to my mistakes.

So we take some time off and head to the island to visit family and friends, and of course fill my last tag.

I leave early in the morning plan on make the most out of my one and only day to hunt the elusive trophy Blacktail which by the way still haunts me. I head out to a spot I was chasing a mature deer last year on closing day.
I take my time, slowly moving, glassing, putting everything I’ve learned over the last few years together knowing this is my shot. I feel good.

I just about crest the hill I was planning on sitting and waiting on when! Crash! Crackle Snap! Damn there goes my deer! I stand still as I seen its white butt running down hill from me. I watch and wait, nothing…nothing… dam it I move up to a stump and set up the bi-pod I glass down the hill, knowing from my position on the hill I could see down on either side of the gully, if it would only move I could spot it again.
Five minutes go by ten, nothing.
I just about give up and turn around. Deciding it must have sneaked off when I was glassing a different part of the area. One more once over I tell myself no need to rush and blow it.

There! Beside a stump! I spot it and it’s a buck, dam it’s a spike. The spike slayer I think to myself.
The decision was quick to take it. It was probably only 7:30 am at the time barely into the day. I get down to the stump to make the shot and lose sight of it. Ugh I glass it again, yep there it is. I get my scope on it and end the morning.

I head down the trail it was using and man did it stink! I could smell it from fifty yards away. I got up to it and stare down at disbelief. No wonder Blacktails are so hard to hunt. Can anyone say tiny?

Well I made it back by 8:30 and spent the rest of the day with family!

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/StephenR6/007-3.jpg

Although none of these animals are even close to trophies, each one is in its own right a trophy to me.
Next years goals get rid of the itchy trigger finger and harvest some mature animals.

whitebirch
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Man, great season.
Success is great in such that it is self defined.... Forget about mature animals Nd remember that you achieved beyond your goals for this season! Quite a feat and successful season indeed. Congrats! Pumped to see what next year bringS

Islandeer
12-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Congrats Dark!! Nice animals,great eats!!!

moose2
12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats on a great deer season, the pictures look good.
Mike

ElliotMoose
12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Congrats on a great season! You must have picked up some of the luck that other guys lost this year ;) Good work.

Chris