PDA

View Full Version : A White "Tale"

Stéphane
12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
If you’re reading this in hope of finding a picture of me standing by a superb animal, you’re going to be quite disappointed. However, if you like a good story and laugh at some rookie mistakes, remember how it felt the first time you came really close to make a successful hunt and all the emotion that comes along, you’ll enjoy this one.

New hunters like me don’t often have the opportunity to learn the rope. We often hear conflicting tales and very little field assistance is offered. This all changed for me when I was given the chance of a lifetime to join a bowhunter that has all the experience and quality of a great mentor. By the time my short 2 day hunt was over, I was calling him the deer whisperer. A bit more on that at the end.

When I first arrived in the field, I was taken to a beautiful spot where my mentor had his tree stand. Now, as a true gentleman that he is, the deer whisperer gives me his spot and makes his first prediction that I’ll see deer from there. Bold statement if you ask. So, when sitting in my stand, I face South. On the East side (my left while sitting) there is a beautiful trail 25yd away, and another one the West side 30 yd away. I’m quite happy. I ranged all the trees that would be useful for markers.

First Hunt:
I went up in the afternoon, practice climbing in my stand, took a few shots, then I sat and waited. A couple hours later, I hear a faint “swoosh”. I stood up and began looking around. DEER! Okay, let’s not panic here, she’s in the far away West side at the 70yd mark. Out of range. So I remember the sound advice that not all deer will be available and that it comes with the territory. “Ma’am white tail, what are the chances I’ll get at shot at you?” – “More like . . . one in a million” She leaves out of sight only to reappear at the 50yd mark.
“So you’re telling me, that there is a chance.” I grabbed my bow in hope she make the next 10yd my and be within my range. She did! 40yd and I was beginning to have a higher than normal pulse. I’m facing the right direction and raise my bow. ROOKIE MISTAKE #1- I dragged my cam across my pants . . . tail up and out of sight. Wait a minute, she was now walking behind my stand and going into the East shooting lane. Now she was about 15yd, but protected by trees and bushed. This wasn’t helping to lower the heart rate. I needed to turn to be ready for her on the other side. ROOKIE MISTAKE #2- I turned and let my harness dragged on whatever it dragged on and she was gone forever.

Day 2
My mentor predicted I would see a 3-point in the East trail. So, I climbed up there for the third time and waited and waited and waited. “crunch. Crunch”. I stand up, take my gloves off and pick up my bow. Now I am facing my tree looking where the noise comes from. If the animal comes into the West trail, I am ready! East, I’ll have issues. The noise intensifies, and so does my pulse. Minutes go by and then on my right in the East trail, 25 yards way stand a superb 4-point.
Now I have 2 serious problems #1 my heart is pounding so hard that I’m going to end up with a cracked sternum. #2, I am facing the wrong way with a tree and branches ahead of me. Mr 4X4 moves forward and looks away. I raised my bow and clipped my release, but I -ROOKIE MISTAKE #3- hit my metal hanger with the arrow Ting”. Nothing! Phew! He turns back and moves forward one step and turn and looks straight at me. By then I’m convinced I’ll be busted because I’m sure he can easily see that my chest is moving in and out by at least two inches whenever my heart hammers my ribcage as if it is trying to get out of there. But no, he looks away again. He is about to move out of my 25 yd shooting lane and I really wanted to face the other way.
In my mind, I cannot move from left to right and keep eye contact because my bow and arrow would get entangled in the branches ahead. This would be proven wrong later that day. So I made ROOKIE MISTAKE #4 Or, just a plain stupid mistake. I turned my back to him and pivoted toward him. By the time I was looking at him again he was waving a white flag and saying Adios! I was glad that my pulse would finally have a chance to lower to normal level, and it was a fantastic experience. I’m not even mad, because it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever felt.

To say I’m hooked would be the understatement of the year. This was by far the coolest experience I’ve ever had in the woods, and it ranks about one of the best in my life.

In case you didn’t know, Greybark is the deer whisperer. I cannot say enough good things about the guy. His patience, sense of humour and outright willingness to help was beyond my wildest expectation. The other bowhunters from our camp were also extremely helpful, and welcoming. For these guys to accept someone like me, that they don’t even know, made me feel very special. I can’t thank them enough. Now, I just realised that I have another five days where I can go again. Guess what, folks? I’ll give it another go.

BiG Boar
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
This was by far the coolest experience I’ve ever had in the woods, and it ranks about one of the best in my life.

Thats wicked man!

And yes, Greybark is a fantastic guy.

12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Great story!
Thoes things haunt me. When you goof up and blow the stalk....... thats what keeps you coming back,,, to be that much better.

Good luck on your next hunt!

uraarchr
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Great story.We all make "rookie" mistakes.Even the pros do.But sometimes even though we didnt harvest an animal we come away with a great story and awesome memories.good luck next time.

Bow Walker
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Just think of all those calories that you burned up when your heart was racing so hard!

Great story and a great 2-days of 'experience' for you to mull over before the next hunt.

RoscoeP
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Keep at it Steph, I know you will succeed if you keep trying. I can tell that you have the right spirit for a hunter, the kill is only a bonus. Most of the good things you will remember about hunting trips are the good friends, good food in camp, hunting stories and waiting as the sun comes up or goes down for that big one to show up.
Keep us posted on your next trip even if you don't get one, you are hooked now my friend, great story. Cheers Roscoe

Ddog
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
I KNEW IT!!! great story and what a rush indeed, i used to get a great pulse rate but i got that under control and now when a buck approaches i am cool and calm. but i know how you feel. just you wait until the arrow hits home from the stand and you go and trail and pick up your quarry! its a great satisfaction.
good luck with your future endeavours!
cheers...D

Ambush
12-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Good story and a great learning experience you had. That's several things you won't do wrong next time. I predict you will post pics of a deer this season.

I usualy place my stand about 90 dgrees from where I expect the most action. Hang your bow with the handle at eye level, so you can just slip your hand in the sling and stretch your arm out toward the deer.

But whitetails get me keyed up. I think their inherent nervousness infects me.

Good luck.

Steeleco
12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Practice makes perfect my good man. It's not always about getting meat. The memories will always last longer than any meat!!!

kennyj
12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Great story, and very entertaining. Good luck out there.
kenny

jetboat jim
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
good read, and good learning.

Stéphane
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Ahh, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. What's impressive here is the fact that some the greatest archers/hunters think it's worth reading. Thanks, it means something to me.

I'll be leaving again on the 17th until season ends. I will be better prepared and hopefully will have just as much fun.

The Hermit
12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Excellent felt just like that again this year! I'm pretty calm hunting with a rifle but bow hunting is so much more exciting and fresh to me. A suggestion... Knock down all the branches within your personal space and clear out your shooting lanes too... Don't ask me how I know to do this ;-)

Riverbc
12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
glad you're having fun Stephane...it's the whole "process" not just the kill shot, as you know. Good luck on your upcoming trip!

Mountaintop
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Great story. It's only my second season and I get the same heart pounding rush every time I see a deer when I'm out with my bow. It took me a season to learn to control it enough to get a decent shot off. Like was said here I'm betting you will get one before the end of season. Good luck.

GoatGuy
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you had a good time and did plenty of learning - hunting in a nutshell.

Never met greybark but he always seems to make sense of things.

huntwriter
12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
What a great story and experience Stephane. From our conversations I know that you're an eager learner and deserve hunting success. I am very happy for you that an experienced bowhunter like Greybark has taken you under his wings. There is no doubt in my mind that your current path will lead you to success. Keep it up and keep at it. :)

Gumsehwah
12-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Awesome story, Stephane!

I am really jealous. Hopefully next season I'll beready to rock!

Check the podcasts on iTunes. There is one that is a story by a guy named James Glave called "Buck the System."
I highly recommend it.
Keepus posted on your progress...we're pullin' for ya.
:-)

Btw, I know you will get one. Laws of carma.

mooseman10
12-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Your story is just as good as it was in person on the day it happened! How was your second trip?
Breath.......
Merry Christmas, Stephane!

Blake

Stéphane
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Your story is just as good as it was in person on the day it happened! How was your second trip?
Breath.......
Merry Christmas, Stephane!

Blake
Thanks, Blake. The "White Tale Part 2" is coming up soon. I just got back today. . . I've got quite a story to tell.

RoscoeP
12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks, Blake. The "White Tale Part 2" is coming up soon. I just got back today. . . I've got quite a story to tell.

We are all waiting, holding our breath!

mooseman10
12-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Cheers!

Steeleco
12-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Come'on teach, class is out you've no excuses, lay it on us, we're waiting!!!

Onesock
12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Glad you got into some Stephane. Whitetails at close range seem to do this to us all. Hope you connected in the last few days.